BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Johnson's response pretty much confirms my suspicion the strategy is still "the elite are working against us to get this done, only we, the Tories, will get it over the line" and this outcome falls directly into this narrative.

The problem is on his right with "He can't get this done"

Losing is losing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,024
    Johnson's response pretty much confirms my suspicion the strategy is still "the elite are working against us to get this done, only we, the Tories, will get it over the line" and this outcome falls directly into this narrative.

Losing is losing.

What, because you think people believe the Brexit party can?

I'm not convinced.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    But the Tories 'are' the elite, aren't they?
    It's a bit confusing, I'm never sure which of these Eton Bullingdon Club types are elites and which are the salt-of-the-earth, man-of-the-people ones. I should go and check the Mail again.

If I'm getting this right, I think Clegg is an elite, but Johnson is a man of the people. Cameron is an elite too. But Rees-Mogg seems to be a man of the people.

Farage didn't even go to university, he went straight into a real job* straight after he left school**. Just a regular bloke.

*commodities trader
    **400-year-old private school
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Farage didn't even go to university, he went straight into a real job*

*commodities trader

Broker, not trader.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    Johnson's response pretty much confirms my suspicion the strategy is still "the elite are working against us to get this done, only we, the Tories, will get it over the line" and this outcome falls directly into this narrative.

Losing is losing.

What, because you think people believe the Brexit party can?

I'm not convinced.

No, they just need to think Johnson isn't the one. They don't need an alternative. They didn't trust him anyway, but were prepared to give it a go as he seemed popular, could get elected, and maintain the status quo. That's starting to look like a poor choice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Farage didn't even go to university, he went straight into a real job*

*commodities trader

Broker, not trader.
    Tell Wikipedia that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage#Early_career
  • rick_chasey
    When you're at a brokerage, you're a broker.
  • bobmcstuff
    I don't disagree, but Wikipedia says trader, so I wrote trader.

I also suspect that most people won't particularly care about the distinction.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

one is looked down on by the other.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,531
    Not normally one for these videos, but this is superb, and receiving a lot of love right now.

https://youtu.be/W0pTpwqkB48
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    Being reported by FT that Labour leadership are not planning a VONC before no-deal Brexit has been avoided - worried that calling a VONC could jeopardise their efforts to avoid no deal if there's a snap election.

Plus the minor matter that forcing Boris to break his own deadline will be good for them, funnily enough that's not being mentioned.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes, and so brokers are usually very wealthy. Traders not so much.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Trader: risk own funds
    Broker: risk other people's funds while creaming a nice commission.

Risking other people's funds / lifestyles / futures: right up Garage's street
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    WRT to today's verdict, can anyone suggest how we could top that tomorrow?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Tanks rumbling down Whitehall? Some flag waving Brexiter standing in the path a la Tiananmen? Laura Kuenssberg wetting herself with excitement live on screen?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Being reported by FT that Labour leadership are not planning a VONC before no-deal Brexit has been avoided - worried that calling a VONC could jeopardise their efforts to avoid no deal if there's a snap election.

Plus the minor matter that forcing Boris to break his own deadline will be good for them, funnily enough that's not being mentioned.
    Yep, parliament is dissolved forn5 weeks in the run up to a GE. If this kicked off on say Thursday, parliament wouldn't come back until 31 October I believe.

Given the amount of effort that has gone into stopping the prorogation and help prevent a no deal Brexit, this might be a bit of an own goal.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    They are sticking to the plan of securing an A50 extension, then going for VONC/GE. Understandably they don't want to risk it at the moment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• If I was BJ I'd send a letter to the EU tonight requesting an extension until 31st December to facilitate a GE.

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,471
    If I was BJ I'd send a letter to the EU tonight requesting an extension until 31st December to facilitate a GE.

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

How?

Parliament have already voted on this and the failed.

Corbyn will lose an election so he’s in no hurry and he’s probably waiting for Boris to continue the self destruction of the Tories.

The one hope Boris has is to get a deal, rock and a hard place for a dithering, dishonest dimwit, it’s doesnt look good.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Robert88 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Are you sure?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,453
    rjsterry wrote:
    They are sticking to the plan of securing an A50 extension, then going for VONC/GE. Understandably they don't want to risk it at the moment.

I don't think either Boris resigning or a VONC was ever remotely likely. It's the reason I disregarded for your fancy graphic.
  • rjsterry
    If I was BJ I'd send a letter to the EU tonight requesting an extension until 31st December to facilitate a GE.

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

Word of others in government having the same idea as the do or die deal or no deal thing has blown up in their face so spectacularly. It would have the advantage of being vaguely back in control.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited September 2019
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I don't think either Boris resigning or a VONC was ever remotely likely. It's the reason I disregarded for your fancy graphic.

'My' fancy graphic was produced by Jon Worth. It gets updated regularly. He doesn't think Johnson will resign either, hence the 70% chance to not resigning. The mutterings suggest he's indeed a bit optimistic with a 90% chance of VONC next, but there are alternatives branching out from Johnson going to the EU in mid October.

A more detailed biog of Jon Worth here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Worth
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

And lose lots of seats to the Brexit party? I'm not sure how your strategy works.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

'My' fancy graphic was produced by Jon Worth. He doesn't think Johnson will resign either, hence the 70% chance to not resigning. The mutterings suggest he's indeed a bit optimistic with a 90% chance of VONC next, but there are alternatives branching out from Johnson going to the EU in mid October.

I could be completely wrong, but if there were the numbers to form a government of national unity, it would already have happened, and it is less likely to happen when parliament suddenly gets more time to consider things.
  • The only insider info I've got from my civil service mole (who never actually tells me anything improper, so not really a mole at all) is that the government minister he was with this morning, on hearing the judgement, simply said "Oh fück!" Probably one of the more sensible things to come out of this government.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall. It must be both fascinating and highly depressing to be a civil servant with this rabble.
  • bobmcstuff
    The only insider info I've got from my civil service mole (who never actually tells me anything improper, so not really a mole at all) is that the government minister he was with this morning, on hearing the judgement, simply said "Oh fück!" Probably one of the more sensible things to come out of this government.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall. It must be both fascinating and highly depressing to be a civil servant with this rabble.
    I assume it is basically like The Thick Of It except Cummings thinks he's Malcolm Tucker but can't pull it off.
  • rick_chasey
    Robert88 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Are you sure?

Hahahahahahahaha.

That’s what they tell the strippers.
  • bobmcstuff
    TheBigBean wrote:

Tomorrow I'd go for a GE

And lose lots of seats to the Brexit party? I'm not sure how your strategy works.
    Yeah, as soon as he breaks his (self imposed) do or die deadline the Brexit party has a really big and sharp stick to beat him with.
  • bobmcstuff
    Robert88 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Are you sure?

Hahahahahahahaha.

That’s what they tell the strippers.

I read Spider Network and both sides sound kind of amoral.

(Standard caveat, I'm sure they were particularly nasty ones and the book is putting things across in it's own way)