BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    hopkinb wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I know I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most.

A very stable genius, no less.

Many people are saying so...

Very fine people.
    With all the best words.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I voted leave, I'd still vote leave faced with the same in/out option despite what's gone on.

I know I'm significantly above average intelligence and I know I Have a broader AND higher level of education than most.

The teeth gnashing and outrage is nearing its peak as it was always going to. Let's hope that one way or the other the issue is put to bed as soon as possible so we can get back to mocking northerners over a Chai Latte and feeling smug about ourselves and our superiority.

I actually thought this was a pretty good post (modesty aside!) despite him being on the other 'side' to me. I'd be interested in hearing your reasons. As a lot of the benefits from EU membership are non-financial it really depends on how you personally value them and whether you value the opportunities of leaving higher.

From some of my brexitier colleagues they take quite a free market view of it and think it might present some good opportunities, which I'm sure it will. I would say they are wealthy and out of touch enough to be comfortable with the short to medium term risks (which will disproportionately damage poor people). They certainly aren't idiots, red-faced gammons or racist chavs, although I know plenty of those too.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    elbowloh wrote:
    Why is it always Brexiters who accuse others of teeth gnashing when it always appears to be them who are the most outraged by everything?
    You need to read more of this thread I think.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Why is it always Brexiters who accuse others of teeth gnashing when it always appears to be them who are the most outraged by everything?
    You need to read more of this thread I think.

I think part of the issue is that if you happen to be an idiot and have really vindictive views and vote Leave then there is scope for some really sh1tty changes like deporting all foreigners for taking our jobs. If you happen to be an idiot and have really vindictive views but vote Remain then nothing will change. The worst they can do is post on echo chamber internet forums about rich people ruining everything
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    HaydenM wrote:
    I voted leave, I'd still vote leave faced with the same in/out option despite what's gone on.

The teeth gnashing and outrage is nearing its peak as it was always going to. Let's hope that one way or the other the issue is put to bed as soon as possible so we can get back to mocking northerners over a Chai Latte and feeling smug about ourselves and our superiority.

I actually thought this was a pretty good post (modesty aside!) despite him being on the other 'side' to me. I'd be interested in hearing your reasons. As a lot of the benefits from EU membership are non-financial it really depends on how you personally value them and whether you value the opportunities of leaving higher.

From some of my brexitier colleagues they take quite a free market view of it and think it might present some good opportunities, which I'm sure it will. I would say they are wealthy and out of touch enough to be comfortable with the short to medium term risks (which will disproportionately damage poor people). They certainly aren't idiots, red-faced gammons or racist chavs, although I know plenty of those too.

Along these lines - the day after the Brexit vote, I overheard 2 very senior people at the bank I worked at literally beside themselves with glee. "We are going to be able to do what the FCUK we want, they aren't going to know what has fcuking HIT THEM."

I half expected an evil mmmwwwahhahahahhaha.

Fine, opportunities, blah. I have some marketable skills, so I'll be OK thanks Jack. I only really see the opportunities arising from lowering regulation in all kinds of areas though. I think, though obviously I don't know, that this will benefit a very few people, and be to the detriment of a lot more people. I know that the obvious reponse is "fcuk 'em, they deserve it", but I don't think like that.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Do you genuinely think that this is going to happen? If you really want to get back to mocking Northerners then you are going to have to somehow get A50 revoked. This is with us for the rest of many of our lives if we don't. There will be years or decades of rebuilding the rules and regs behind our relationship with the EU because it will take that long. And at each step you'll get remainers angry that it is necessary and leavers hating that every decision is us "losing control".

The only way to end this all with brexit is for us to close the doors and not have a relationship with the EU which is obviously what a lot of brexiters want but I can't see that happening.

So as far as teeth gnashing goes - I'd recommend retraining as a dentist.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    If everything goes great for 5 years then I can see the remain contingent calming down though? Once this is all off the boil, as long as nothing dreadful happens that is
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    If everything goes great for 5 years then I can see the remain contingent calming down though? Once this is all off the boil, as long as nothing dreadful happens that is

How do you define "great" - the old way ie. really good, excellent, better than before, spiffing and all that or the brexit definition of "great" - ie there's no killings, the economy hasn't completely tanked, I can still buy a latte for under a tenner, rumour has it that there is a factory in the Midlands still making stuff, my neighbour three doors down still has a job, I've got plenty of ammo" etc etc?

It's just that the bar seems to have plummeted somewhat since 2016 in terms of what a good outcome of this would be.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    Imposter wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Or possibly the PM of some insignificant country trying to get his 15 minutes of fame?

Spoken like a true arrogant little englander...
    surely he meant johnson
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    You two like an estranged couple at a wedding.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

How do you define "great" - the old way ie. really good, excellent, better than before, spiffing and all that or the brexit definition of "great" - ie there's no killings, the economy hasn't completely tanked, I can still buy a latte for under a tenner, rumour has it that there is a factory in the Midlands still making stuff, my neighbour three doors down still has a job, I've got plenty of ammo" etc etc?

It's just that the bar seems to have plummeted somewhat since 2016 in terms of what a good outcome of this would be.

I think the risk of bad things happening is high, hence why I voted remain. If the next few years turns out to be great ie a generally strong economy, good run for investment and the majority having a few quid in their pocket then I can't see it being in the forefront if people's minds so much. Why complain when things are going well? Exactly why we didn't leave the EU in the late 90s when apparently we had all the same issues with the EU as we do now. I also didn't want to leave the EU because things are going great for me, which is not the same for a lot of people in the UK
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I think the risk of bad things happening is high, hence why I voted remain. If the next few years turns out to be great ie a generally strong economy, good run for investment and the majority having a few quid in their pocket then I can't see it being in the forefront if people's minds so much. Why complain when things are going well? Exactly why we didn't leave the EU in the late 90s when apparently we had all the same issues with the EU as we do now. I also didn't want to leave the EU because things are going great for me, which is not the same for a lot of people in the UK

Kind of it in a nutshell. In reality, nobody was bothered by the EU in practical terms - only because the papers stirred everyone up choosing to blame their woes on the EU (and of course Johnson ultimately started all this) but if they aren't bothered after Brexit maybe we will be able to put it behind us. But in reality, nothing will have improved (at least not for those who voted out in the most part - quite the opposite as they'll lose all that regional funding from the EU) so I'd say your hope depends on the newspapers deciding not to make a big thing of every negotiation with the EU. But I bet they do.

The problem is that the papers aren't really pro-brexit. They are simply pro-sh1t stirring and us leaving won't change that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Johnson's popularity has risen slightly since becoming PM.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... s-grown-po

However he's still way below May's honeymoon period.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • He thinks that if we leave, all the people who currently want to remain will not want to rejoin, but the party who currently want to remain will be forced to have rejoin as their flagship policy. This is because of... and that's the bit I need Coopster to explain.

I think it's just boIlocks.

The Fib Dems have only increased in popularity because of their position of ignoring the referendum result and the majority who voted for it. They have now moved to the most extreme position to attract these votes but once we have left there is no where else for them to go. So to have a chance of retaining these votes their position on the EU will have to be rejoin.

As you admit that won't happen, the voters will move to parties where their vote counts and thus the demise of the Fib Dems will occur again :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    The thing I find most endearing about Coopster is the way he comes up with a term he thinks will wind people up and uses it over and over again. He must be able to type remoaner with his eyes closed and it seems the hilariously funny Fib Dems is his new favourite. Must be great being so creative.
  • Pross wrote:
    The thing I find most endearing about Coopster is the way he comes up with a term he thinks will wind people up and uses it over and over again. He must be able to type remoaner with his eyes closed and it seems the hilariously funny Fib Dems is his new favourite. Must be great being so creative.

The name calling is really childish...
  • Pross wrote:

The name calling is really childish...
    it's a trump thing. Coopster is very clever. A leader of men.
  • Imposter wrote:

As above - maybe you could evidence that claim by providing a clear, unambiguous rationale for why you voted leave?

Got to agree - this could be interesting. It will also be interesting to hear about how you see the benefits will flow to the general community and help to rebuild the damage done by austerity. I am also looking forward to hearing about the impact that Alejandrosdog expects the post Brexit environment to have on our working conditions and how it will lead to generally better lives for the population. After all, I feel certain that a person with significantly above average intelligence and a broad and extensive education would realise that a decision of this type should not be based solely on ones own interests and would therefore have considered all of the potential consequences of voting leave.
  • Imposter wrote:

As above - maybe you could evidence that claim by providing a clear, unambiguous rationale for why you voted leave?

Got to agree - this could be interesting. It will also be interesting to hear about how you see the benefits will flow to the general community and help to rebuild the damage done by austerity. I am also looking forward to hearing about the impact that Alejandrosdog expects the post Brexit environment to have on our working conditions and how it will lead to generally better lives for the population. After all, I feel certain that a person with significantly above average intelligence and a broad and extensive education would realise that a decision of this type should not be based solely on ones own interests and would therefore have considered all of the potential consequences of voting leave.

Only a person who has limited intellect would be unable to see that ones own interests are often wrapped up in others. Since you’re demonstrably dim i wont bothering explaining principles or their values relative to the how many chicken nugggets does my £1.50 buy mentality of your comment.
  • Imposter wrote:

Only a person who has limited intellect would be unable to see that ones own interests are often wrapped up in others. Since you’re demonstrably dim i wont bothering explaining principles or their values relative to the how many chicken nugggets does my £1.50 buy mentality of your comment.

As I thought... If your claims regarding intelligence and education are to be believed, and TBH there is a paucity of evidence to back the claims up, then what a waste, what a waste.
  • Imposter wrote:

As I thought... If your claims regarding intelligence and education are to be believed, and TBH there is a paucity of evidence to back the claims up, then what a waste, what a waste.

This is the internet, I don't owe you or anyone else any "evidence" take it or leave it, it's up to you but I'm happy to show you mine if you show me yours and it impresses me. xx
  • Imposter wrote:

This is the internet, I don't owe you or anyone else any "evidence" take it or leave it, it's up to you but I'm happy to show you mine if you show me yours and it impresses me. xx

Still avoiding the questions above - kind of pitiful really.
  • Still avoiding the questions above - kind of pitiful really.
    One to put on ignore, methinks. Fortunately he's (probably) not the President of the United States, even if he exhibits a similar intellectual prowess.
  • Imposter wrote:

So that's a "I can't" then.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Longshot wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

No, that's a YES
  • rolf_f
    Imposter wrote:

It's a fair request surely? The vast majority of us on this forum can see no meaningful benefit of Brexit and have yet to hear anyone come up with any. As you choose to hang around here amongst a load of people with differing views to you and as you regard yourself as having high intelligence, why would you not want to use your reasoning capabilities to try to influence us as to why we are wrong? I think we'd all be delighted if someone could convincingly argue that it won't all be miserable post Brexit (it's all us Remainers have ever asked of the leavers!).
    If you aren't going to bother explaining why are you here?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    "Owning the libtards" is a good reason for some folk.

Governance by trolling the right people.
  • rolf_f
    "Owning the libtards" is a good reason for some folk.

Governance by trolling the right people.

I assume Dog would claim to be smarter than that.
  • Longshot wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

No, that's a YES

:lol::lol::lol:
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hmmm maybe only a truly dim person would have the lack of intelligence to proclaim how clever they are ?
    Especially with absolutely no evidence to back their claim up.

As a remainer - I've been asking Leave voters for reasons for their votes for 3 years. The best responses I've had were from people saying that they didnt expect to win, and don't actually want to leave - but thought a close call would shake up the EU a bit and we'd get more concessions for a better deal.

Anything we do short of forgetting the whole stupid idea gives us a considerably worse deal.