BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    edited January 2020
    Both Berkshire Hunt and Berkeley Hunt have both been used for years. It's only that Berkeley has the earliest use, dating to the 1930s.

I think most of us got Goo's point.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

phelim21 said:

Definitely not england. At least we are getting the best of both deals in the north if Ireland.

Pretty sure NI businesses would beg to differ.
    This is what most ni businesses wanted according to CBI and FSB.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    In the first week of my first job, I was asked as part of office chat what my nickname at school was.

I quipped that I wasn't sure I had one but people used to shout "c* nt" at me when I walked down the corridors so probably that.

Despite it being a bunch of exclusively sweary oafish city types it went down like a lead balloon.

Always disappoints me; I thought it was a good joke. Right side of shocking, humble, all the things you would want from a new grad in the office. Alas.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I've stopped reading this thread recently but which one of you lot is Terry Christian? Come on, own up!
    https://youtu.be/h_NzU-bqv5Y
  • rjsterry

In the first week of my first job, I was asked as part of office chat what my nickname at school was.

I quipped that I wasn't sure I had one but people used to shout "c* nt" at me when I walked down the corridors so probably that.

Despite it being a bunch of exclusively sweary oafish city types it went down like a lead balloon.

Always disappoints me; I thought it was a good joke. Right side of shocking, humble, all the things you would want from a new grad in the office. Alas.

You should listen to the Infinite Monkey Cage episode about jokes - lots of interesting stuff that might explain why yours landed flat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    On a more Brexit note; why will the Tories be voting down the lord ammendment to give people who have successfully applied for settled status a document to show that.

How are they supposed to prove to landlords or employers that they have said status?
  • On a more Brexit note; why will the Tories be voting down the lord ammendment to give people who have successfully applied for settled status a document to show that.

How are they supposed to prove to landlords or employers that they have said status?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/staying-in-the-uk-after-brexit/proving-you-have-pre-settled-or-settled-status/
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Yeah what landlord is going to do that. My last landlord didn't even know which nations made up the EU27.

Brits abroad have that paperwork. I don't see a good reason not to do it.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

The yellow star.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    Obviously a document that is not easily forged is not without cost, but it does appear to have been rejected just to prove a point.

In other news, we can forget about a US trade deal as we are apparently going ahead with Huawei. Various US Congressmen and women already publicly stating what a terrible decision this is.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• A gentle reminder to make sure you have topped up on toilet rolls ahead of 1st February as remoaners have said there will be a shortage once we leave on 31st January.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

A gentle reminder to make sure you have topped up on toilet rolls ahead of 1st February as remoaners have said there will be a shortage once we leave on 31st January.

I thought that was what the Daily Heil was for.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber said:

A gentle reminder to make sure you have topped up on toilet rolls ahead of 1st February as remoaners have said there will be a shortage once we leave on 31st January.

I thought that was what the Daily Heil was for.

he is not going to be happy when he finds out about the transition period
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020

Mate, just get a girlfriend, no need to sit there own your own making a mess. I know it's really exciting to enjoy Brexit like that, but honestly, there's nothing like a bit of human interaction to make it an awful lot better.
  • A gentle reminder to make sure you have topped up on toilet rolls ahead of 1st February as remoaners have said there will be a shortage once we leave on 31st January.

*citation needed
  • NEWSFLASH: Remoaners refuse to own their scare stories...
  • NEWSFLASH: Remoaners refuse to own their scare stories...

I know time is a tricky concept, but those scare stories were for leaving without a deal on 31st October 2019. Show me a story that says there'll be shortages on the day after nothing practical changes, and I'll take it all back.
  • Sorry, nothing practical except a shiny new 50p commemorating the end of the era of peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations. Nice touch that.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

Sorry, nothing practical except a shiny new 50p commemorating the end of the era of peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations. Nice touch that.

There was a special 50p coin minted when we joined and again to mark our 25th anniversary as members, so why not one when we leave?

That said, if any Cake Stoppers find the 'Brexit' 50p coin offensive, you could give them to me. In return, I'll give you 20p back and tell you what you're allowed to spend it on. That way, you can happily go on pretending that you're are still living in the EU and Brexit has never happened :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo_666 said:

Sorry, nothing practical except a shiny new 50p commemorating the end of the era of peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations. Nice touch that.

There was a special 50p coin minted when we joined and again to mark our 25th anniversary as members, so why not one when we leave?

That said, if any Cake Stoppers find the 'Brexit' 50p coin offensive, you could give them to me. In return, I'll give you 20p back and tell you what you're allowed to spend it on. That way, you can happily go on pretending that you're are still living in the EU and Brexit has never happened :)
    If you're giving me the right to live and work in the rest of Europe then deal.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Stevo_666 said:

I've heard Terry Christian is a big fan and also of the Big Ben Bongs.
  • Stevo_666 said:

No offence taken here, let the old people have their shiny coin. I'll probably not see one anyway with contactless for almost everything.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    The Government messaging to Facebook Dad is hitting the spot

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I think it's a shortage of tissues because of all our liberal tears isn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    Oh I thought it was all the Brexit w*nking.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570

I think it's a shortage of tissues because of all our liberal tears isn't it?

Is remain/rejoin/whatever a liberal issue?
  • I think it's a shortage of tissues because of all our liberal tears isn't it?

Is remain/rejoin/whatever a liberal issue?
    In the greater culture wars, absolutely.

https://www.zazzle.co.uk/liberal_tears_thanks_to_nigel_farage_brexit_coffee_mug-168578742288496330
  • Stevo_666

I think it's a shortage of tissues because of all our liberal tears isn't it?

You need something to mop up the mess from all those bleeding hearts as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    mrb123 said:
    Quite like the official Conservative victory mug :)