BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Pross said:

Labour should have been stronger on everything.

With their policies?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2019
    I guess there are a lot of closet Tories amongst the Northern working classes and the Jewish community then. Along with Tony Blair and David Blunkett.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • They're with you for one election.
  • Stevo_666

They're with you for one election.

It's the one that counts.
  • rjsterry said:

Jeremy.89 said:

rjsterry said:

They're not going to get their way. He's promised what he can't deliver.

In all likelihood he's getting a comfortable majority. He's managed a purge of the party so the more prominent sensible tories simply aren't going to be there. He'll be able to deliver some stuff.

Once again the 48% and the more (small c) conservative of the 52% have been let down by the debate around this election. Labour should have been stronger on Brexit this election. Their position is not that complicated, and they are against a PM who voted against the WA a number of times, then did some fiddling round the edges (or should that be borders) and suddenly claimed it was a much better deal.

Getting parliament to pass the WAB is the easy bit. A majority will make little difference to negotiating a trade deal with the EU. Even Farage can see we are heading for the next crisis in just a few months time.
    Agreed...

However, with a comfortable enough majority, Boris can bring back any old pile of **** and get it through, or at least that is my understanding.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    edited December 2019
    Well that was the worst collective campaign I can ever remember.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    Stevo_666 said:

I guess there are a lot of closet Tories amongst the Northern working classes and the Jewish community then. Along with Tony Blair and David Blunkett.
    Do you actually listen to what Major says?

Does the whole turning EU migrants into villains not bother you?

I’d love to know what makes you quite blinkered when it comes to the Tories.

It is possible to be critical of all sides you know.
  • rick_chasey
    Fwiw in Cambridge it really feels like Labour are panicking. Don’t think I’ve ever had so many leaflets from one party in the last 4 days. Think around 2 people per day have come by with leaflets.

Noticed Lammy turned up to help bolster the campaign too, which makes me feel they are worried.

Would be a big swing - around 10-11 points from Labour to LD I think.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway nice reminder for today that for all the hot air you’ve all spouted, your vote is still worth the same as the idiot tw@t vox pops you saw on TV.
  • Stevo_666
    Remember folks, don't waste your vote and don't let the lefties in by trying to be 'tactical' - that would be a strategic mistake.

Your country needs you...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

As ever, I'll vote for then party the most closely aligns with my views and interests. Warts and all. Actually I voted by post last week as it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Let's have a look at the alternatives that were on my ballot paper. There's a party that would treat me as the enemy (Labour) and there are two wasted votes (LD and Green) that don't really grab my interest.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    No criticism?

Bizarre. Maybe in a quiet moment reflect on what it is about the Tory party that some of their more respectable heavyweights dislike so much and, relatedly, what attracts 'Tommy Robinson' to the party.

You can hold your nose voting for a party you know. You can think they're awful but the rest even worse.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited December 2019
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As ever, I'll vote for then party the most closely aligns with my views and interests. Warts and all. Actually I voted by post last week as it was a bit of a no-brainer.

Let's have a look at the alternatives that were on my ballot paper. There's a party that would treat me as the enemy (Labour) and there are two wasted votes (LD and Green) that don't really grab my interest.
    I think he meant why are you never critical of the Tories?

Edited to say - ignore me your post answered his question
  • Stevo_666

No criticism?

Bizarre. Maybe in a quiet moment reflect on what it is about the Tory party that some of their more respectable heavyweights dislike so much and, relatedly, what attracts 'Tommy Robinson' to the party.

You can hold your nose voting for a party you know. You can think they're awful but the rest even worse.

I said warts and all.

And I don't believe I've heard you criticise the Lib Dems and their charismatic leader...

Anyhow the EU wants The Conservatives to win and they're always right aren't they? From a news article this morning:
    "One thing is certain as voting day finally arrives: Europe is rooting for Boris Johnson. The more seats, the better.

Nobody in high office will say it. A few Commission diehards might still hope to overturn Brexit - or still imagine that such a reconquest would be digestible - but the overwhelming view in the great capitals is that further years of British civil war and cross-Channel brinkmanship risk a strategic debacle.

They can only roll their eyes at the naïveté of Hugh Grant and the Beautiful People, as if tactical voting can surgically deliver the right hung Parliament: that is to say a revocation referendum, without that little extra problem of an anti-NATO Marxist, one who thinks that Mao’s Great Leap Forward was a success, finds no fault with Vladimir Putin, and excoriates Western self-defence.

Never forget that the EU has become - structurally and legally - a corporatist-capitalist alliance that forbids its members to pursue genuinely left-wing policies. Syriza learned this the hard way in Greece.

“If they wake up on Friday morning to a Corbyn government, the mood in Brussels will be close to panic,” said Andrew Duff, a veteran EU insider and president of the federalist Spinelli Group. “It would be a disaster. They don’t want a timebomb thrown into the European security system.”

“They are praying for a government with a big majority that can end this bloody nonsense, and that means Boris. They don’t have any respect for the Remainer coalition,” he said."
  • Stevo_666 said:

No criticism?

I said warts and all.

And I don't believe I've heard you criticise the Lib Dems and their charismatic leader...

Anyhow the EU wants The Conservatives to win and they're always right aren't they? From a news article this morning:
    "One thing is certain as voting day finally arrives: Europe is rooting for Boris Johnson. The more seats, the better.

Nobody in high office will say it. A few Commission diehards might still hope to overturn Brexit - or still imagine that such a reconquest would be digestible - but the overwhelming view in the great capitals is that further years of British civil war and cross-Channel brinkmanship risk a strategic debacle.

They can only roll their eyes at the naïveté of Hugh Grant and the Beautiful People, as if tactical voting can surgically deliver the right hung Parliament: that is to say a revocation referendum, without that little extra problem of an anti-NATO Marxist, one who thinks that Mao’s Great Leap Forward was a success, finds no fault with Vladimir Putin, and excoriates Western self-defence.

Never forget that the EU has become - structurally and legally - a corporatist-capitalist alliance that forbids its members to pursue genuinely left-wing policies. Syriza learned this the hard way in Greece.

“If they wake up on Friday morning to a Corbyn government, the mood in Brussels will be close to panic,” said Andrew Duff, a veteran EU insider and president of the federalist Spinelli Group. “It would be a disaster. They don’t want a timebomb thrown into the European security system.”

“They are praying for a government with a big majority that can end this bloody nonsense, and that means Boris. They don’t have any respect for the Remainer coalition,” he said."
    Source please
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Today i get the delightful choice of voting for who i want to and making no difference to the result whatsoever or vote for the least worst option and still make no difference to the vote.

last election where i live - winner had 62% of votes, 2nd had 27%, third had 5%!

I don't want 1st place to win!

gotta love our political system!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Here you go.

Final paragraph. I'll bold the helpful bit for you.

I view myself as a natural Tory as I believe in the importance of fiscal discipline and that a strong economy is paramount. I would count myself as socially liberal.

As Grayling is my MP with an outright majority I am open to suggestions for who to vote for

Let's go through them: You can't vote for Grayling as he is a stone cold moron. Plus, Tories have drifted a long way from pragmatic practical governance to fervent fundamentalist idealism rooted in (mispalced) British exceptionalism at the expense of all that is good and reasonable. Their Brexit plan won't make them fiscally disciplined and are not socially liberal by any reasonable measure, and they have a serious Islamophobia problem (though tbf, if you're not white it's not great under them). They froth at the mouth when they hear rule Britannia and fantasise with their hand down their trousers about being part of the D-Day landings (despite the yanks actually doing the hard graft) so much they now can't remember if they were actually there or not.

Labour: fiscally incontinent who are relying on an innate understanding from gilt owners and lenders that the British gov't isn't, in order to enact a Venezuelan style radical societal transformation rooted in the deep understanding that the state runs everything better, making a lot of money is immoral and that the world is rigged by some shadowy super capitalist elites who want to ruin the world. And not unrelatedly, they have a serious antisemitism problem.

Green: More fiscally incontinent than labour (can you believe it?!) but who at least practice what they preach with regard to how they treat minorities. Consider, perhaps not wrongly, that climate change is more expensive than anything a government can realistically offer. Everything else is somewhere on the spectrum between social democracy and communist, since, after all, in order to save the world, you must dictate how to do that.

Brexit Party: single issue party for an issue that you think is the national equivalent of vowing to masturbate for the rest of your life because at least then you can climax every time, rather than having to deal with the pesky other half. Has an enormous propensity to attract far right nut-jobs and racist morons. Would probably be fascist if they had enough intellectual horsepower to do so, but they don't.

LDs: Centrist party that, unsurprisingly, sits somewhere between the middle of Labour and the Tories (in fairness, this is a massive gaping chasm so doesn't say much). Run by what looks like a supply school teacher and exuding about the same authority. On paper, appears to have sensible policies, putting money into things that offer decent returns (childcare etc), pro-competition, anti-oligopoly etc. Is a real mish-mash of ideologies which doesn't come to surface as they're a minor party, but they have a streak of rash sandle-with-sock-wearing policies that make no sense on paper or in real life, which leads to their biggest problem, which is the people who will make up the MPs if they get elected. All the big beasts have left, and they attract folk who have no real expectation of becoming elected, and the talent reflects that. Your candidate will either cycle everywhere with high-vis-ankle-clips, a wing mirror and a 1992 helmet or they'll be a triple national double-barrel named banker who's continental European wife has made him feel guilty about making lots of money so has made him stand.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As ever, I'll vote for the party the most closely aligns with my views and interests.
    Absolutely. And when the two main parties' policies will drive away my clients, my staff and my suppliers it's a fairly easy decision.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Today i get the delightful choice of voting for who i want to and making no difference to the result whatsoever or vote for the least worst option and still make no difference to the vote.

last election where i live - winner had 62% of votes, 2nd had 27%, third had 5%!

Big swings happen.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited December 2019
    Stevo_666 said:

No criticism?

I said warts and all.

Telegraph, obviously. I wonder why they didn't get their Europe editor to write this piece 🤔. If true one presumes that's because they know he'll fold and agree to whatever they want.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    rjsterry said:

Big swings happen.
    Various reports of higher than usual turnout so who knows.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Big swings happen.
    Today is the most popular day for christmas parties isn't it?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Big swings happen.
    I'd vote for a Christmas Party over the ones I've been given the choice of.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Longshot said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Big swings happen.
    I'd vote for a Christmas Party over the ones I've been given the choice of.
    Brexit Party would be scaremongering about turkey.
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Big swings happen.
    That's worrying as most people would need to be p1$$ed to vote Labour.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2019

Stevo_666 said:

Here you go.

Final paragraph. I'll bold the helpful bit for you.

I view myself as a natural Tory as I believe in the importance of fiscal discipline and that a strong economy is paramount. I would count myself as socially liberal.

As Grayling is my MP with an outright majority I am open to suggestions for who to vote for

Let's go through them: You can't vote for Grayling as he is a stone cold moron. Plus, Tories have drifted a long way from pragmatic practical governance to fervent fundamentalist idealism rooted in (mispalced) British exceptionalism at the expense of all that is good and reasonable. Their Brexit plan won't make them fiscally disciplined and are not socially liberal by any reasonable measure, and they have a serious Islamophobia problem (though tbf, if you're not white it's not great under them). They froth at the mouth when they hear rule Britannia and fantasise with their hand down their trousers about being part of the D-Day landings (despite the yanks actually doing the hard graft) so much they now can't remember if they were actually there or not.

Labour: fiscally incontinent who are relying on an innate understanding from gilt owners and lenders that the British gov't isn't, in order to enact a Venezuelan style radical societal transformation rooted in the deep understanding that the state runs everything better, making a lot of money is immoral and that the world is rigged by some shadowy super capitalist elites who want to ruin the world. And not unrelatedly, they have a serious antisemitism problem.

Green: More fiscally incontinent than labour (can you believe it?!) but who at least practice what they preach with regard to how they treat minorities. Consider, perhaps not wrongly, that climate change is more expensive than anything a government can realistically offer. Everything else is somewhere on the spectrum between social democracy and communist, since, after all, in order to save the world, you must dictate how to do that.

Brexit Party: single issue party for an issue that you think is the national equivalent of vowing to masturbate for the rest of your life because at least then you can climax every time, rather than having to deal with the pesky other half. Has an enormous propensity to attract far right nut-jobs and racist morons. Would probably be fascist if they had enough intellectual horsepower to do so, but they don't.

LDs: Centrist party that, unsurprisingly, sits somewhere between the middle of Labour and the Tories (in fairness, this is a massive gaping chasm so doesn't say much). Run by what looks like a supply school teacher and exuding about the same authority. On paper, appears to have sensible policies, putting money into things that offer decent returns (childcare etc), pro-competition, anti-oligopoly etc. Is a real mish-mash of ideologies which doesn't come to surface as they're a minor party, but they have a streak of rash sandle-with-sock-wearing policies that make no sense on paper or in real life, which leads to their biggest problem, which is the people who will make up the MPs if they get elected. All the big beasts have left, and they attract folk who have no real expectation of becoming elected, and the talent reflects that. Your candidate will either cycle everywhere with high-vis-ankle-clips, a wing mirror and a 1992 helmet or they'll be a triple national double-barrel named banker who's continental European wife has made him feel guilty about making lots of money so has made him stand.
    That's actually rather amusing :)

And spot on re: Swinson.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    The last 'higher than usual' turnout was the referendum.............
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794

The last 'higher than usual' turnout was the referendum.............

And that didn’t go as expected.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Have some fun when you go to vote. As you hand over your card, say "Hi, me again" to the people at the desk.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Prediciton:

Conservatives to win 339 seats.