BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    sungod said:

elbowloh said:

Weren't the Unionists pro-brexit?

their sole objective was getting their hands on johnson's bribe, they're notoriously corrupt and also rather stupid

once he had what he wanted, johnson betrayed them, he thrives on the gullible
    Did they not need the bribe to pay all the farmers with biomass boilers in open barns getting paid by the tonne burnt. Or have I got their eco scheme wrong.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    About 30 seconds after the above clip - US Congressman explaining the problem with Britain breaking trade deals months after signing them and that it impacts the UK's ability to sign a deal with the US.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,253
    Going to tell now TV that I'm unilaterally extending their free seven day introductory offer for an extra couple of months.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Going to tell now TV that I'm unilaterally extending their free seven day introductory offer for an extra couple of months.

That's quite a poor example, you usually can extend the offers for a few months. Not the free one though, to be fair.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2021
    pangolin said:

That's quite a poor example, you usually can extend the offers for a few months. Not the free one though, to be fair.
    That's the one I want though, so I'm going to do it unilaterally. I don't want to negotiate with them, even though we may be able to agree something.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    You can see the shock in the DUP woman's face as she realises the US hasnt fallen for the bullsh1t, even a little bit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    But just think of the multiple of benefits as you chew on your cardboard!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    So we come out of Covid restrictions in spring to go out for a nice meal of offal.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    morstar said:

So we come out of Covid restrictions in spring to go out for a nice meal of offal.

Don't forget those crabs nobody wants
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    Well somebody had to say it:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/06/lord-frost-tells-eu-stop-sulking-brexit-make-success/

In case its behind a paywall:
    Lord Frost tells EU to stop sulking over Brexit and make a success of it

PM's Europe adviser says jabs rollout has shown the benefits of leaving the bloc, and how the UK can play a bigger international role

Brussels must stop sulking over the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and work to make Brexit a success, Boris Johnson’s Europe adviser has said.

Lord Frost says the EU should “shake off any remaining ill will towards us for leaving, and instead build a friendly relationship, between sovereign equals”.

Well said Frosty. Also sound advice for some people on this thread, as I've said myself before ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Stevo_666 said:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/06/lord-frost-tells-eu-stop-sulking-brexit-make-success/

PM's Europe adviser says jabs rollout has shown the benefits of leaving the bloc, and how the UK can play a bigger international role

Brussels must stop sulking over the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and work to make Brexit a success, Boris Johnson’s Europe adviser has said.

Lord Frost says the EU should “shake off any remaining ill will towards us for leaving, and instead build a friendly relationship, between sovereign equals”.

Well said Frosty. Also sound advice for some people on this thread, as I've said myself before ;)

You should read 1984
  • kingstongraham
    edited March 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

This is exactly what Matthew Parris was writing about in The Times yesterday.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

You should read 1984
    I have.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

link?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

link?
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/frosts-fight-with-the-eu-is-political-thuggery-cdpzs3k0t

You're the target audience for this nonsense, so he'll be happy it's working.
  • kingstongraham
    And his reply on the website to a specific question about the protocol.

Part of the answer is to agree a light-touch application of the rules, while watching like a hawk for any sign that NI was being used as a backdoor route for significant smuggling operations. The theoretical need for this "border" is indisputable; but the actual threat to the integrity of the single market is speculative. Surveillance rather than putting every import through the bureaucratic sieve could be the answer. But for that you need discussion, goodwill and good faith. The point of my column was that Frost and Boris are imperilling these.
  • tailwindhome
    edited March 2021
    The Frost article
    (on which the C Hope article is based)

This argument on the NI Protocol, that the EU triggering Art 16 (albeit soon reversed) means the UK have to take action on food checks and parcels makes no logical sense

If open and free trade has been secured between the UK and EU, how come the NI Protocol, which essentially puts NI on the EU side, is causing disruption between NI and GB?

Worth also asking what the 'sovereign' UK needs the EU to do to make a success of Brexit?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    Stevo_666 said:

"It's all the EU's fault."

OK.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916
    I simply cannot understand why Brussels don't just do what we want.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Can a DT reader tell me how they rationalise the fact that days ago the people who negotiated, agreed and signed the WA were claiming a border in the Irish Sea did not exist and they they are begging the EU to ignore it?
  • Stevo_666
    There's definitely a bit of sulking going on, so he has a point.
  • tailwindhome
    edited March 2021
    In fairness he's right, If the UVF are known for anything its being a bit sulky.

Time they jolly well pulled themselves together

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    Stevo_666 said:

nonsense, he's continuing the government's increasingly desperate attempts to put lipstick on the brexit pig and stoke up the gullible masses, one must assume you're trolling otherwise you'd have to be one of them to believe such rubbish

why should the eu "work to make Brexit a success"? that'd be against it's interests, the eu's interest is to take business from the uk, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

"sovereign equals", delusional jingoism, the brexiters chose to weaken the uk, now they don't like being the weaker party in negotiations, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

never met frost, but he comes across as a pathetic whiner
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • morstar
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

nonsense, he's continuing the government's increasingly desperate attempts to put lipstick on the brexit pig and stoke up the gullible masses, one must assume you're trolling otherwise you'd have to be one of them to believe such rubbish

why should the eu "work to make Brexit a success"? that'd be against it's interests, the eu's interest is to take business from the uk, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

"sovereign equals", delusional jingoism, the brexiters chose to weaken the uk, now they don't like being the weaker party in negotiations, now he's whining because he doesn't like it

never met frost, but he comes across as a pathetic whiner
    None of that can be right.

Whilst it makes perfect sense. Only the Eu and lefties whinge.

The anti Eu tories are shining examples of every positive attribute known to mankind.
  • kingstongraham
    Would making brexit a success look the same from both sides?
  • morstar

Would making brexit a success look the same from both sides?

Good question. Both parties could be successful with mutual benefits but the gains would not necessarily be symbiotic.

E.g.
    UK successfully expands global trade to its benefit.
    Eu, builds a bigger FS sector at expense of UK

Both parties have benefitted from post Brexit opportunities.