BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920

Haha. The Telegraph really knows what to include... much more important than Brexit...

I can't read the article, but is it proposing naming roads after war heroes to prove something about how they aren't virtue signallers?
    Exactly so. Though my point was less about the content itself rather than what the paper was excluding to make space for this 'important' news.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited January 2021

Haha. The Telegraph really knows what to include... much more important than Brexit...

I can't read the article, but is it proposing naming roads after war heroes to prove something about how they aren't virtue signallers?
    In short...yes

They re trying to start a culture war by renaming streets named after slave traders after war heroes instead...I'm not sure if they know what a culture war is.

It's gonna be fun when they get round to Karamjeet Singh Judge vc. and Prakesh Singh Chib vc....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554

goes to show that tory nutters can be woke trendies too
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

'Only solution'
    The firm, which sold £180,000 of cheese to the EU last year, found that every £25-30 gift box of cheese it sends to consumers on the Continent now needs a veterinary-approved health certificate costing £180.

"I spoke to someone at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for advice. They told me setting up a fulfilment centre in the EU where we could pack the boxes was my only solution," co-founder Simon Spurrell told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Post brexit if you don't have any presence in the market in which you sell them good luck to you. This is on both sides of the channel and was obvious to everyone that had a brain in 2016 as to get things the electorate wanted such as the end of freedom of movement we were erecting borders and therefore barriers to trade. Consider it karma to those that ignored the concerns of an electorate for decades without caring where it would lead. We are were we are and it was an inevitable journey in large part due to the EU institutions.

Can you elaborate on your penultimate sentence as it makes no sense the way it is written
    The UK electorate has consistently had issues with freedom of movement and the general direction of the EU for decades. The EU ignored these views and the UK government could not get anything meaningful agreed. Hence they have lost a net contributor and reduced their access to an important market. #winning or maybe be that should be #facepalm. If you asked Europeans if they are happy with the current position and if they could have done anything differently I would hazard a guess that those currently losing out would have something to say.
    This is just an invention. It barely registered as an issue at general elections until Cameron called the referendum.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I see the Ulsterisation of UK politics has reached the street names stage.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    edited January 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

Don’t think this is what you had in mind, John

Remarkable:

Andrew Moss, who runs Horizon Retail Marketing Solutions, based in Ely, Cambridgeshire, which sells packaging and point-of-sale marketing displays in the UK and to EU customers, is registering a European company Horizon Europe in the Netherlands in the next few weeks, on the advice of a senior government adviser.
    This will mean laying off a small number of staff here and taking on people in the Netherlands.
    This will happen more and more but tbf the reverse will and is happening as well, and EU firms will setup small operations in the UK.

It does all seem very unnecessary but that's where we're at.
    Correct, it cuts both ways.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Post brexit if you don't have any presence in the market in which you sell them good luck to you. This is on both sides of the channel and was obvious to everyone that had a brain in 2016 as to get things the electorate wanted such as the end of freedom of movement we were erecting borders and therefore barriers to trade. Consider it karma to those that ignored the concerns of an electorate for decades without caring where it would lead. We are were we are and it was an inevitable journey in large part due to the EU institutions.

Can you elaborate on your penultimate sentence as it makes no sense the way it is written
    The UK electorate has consistently had issues with freedom of movement and the general direction of the EU for decades. The EU ignored these views and the UK government could not get anything meaningful agreed. Hence they have lost a net contributor and reduced their access to an important market. #winning or maybe be that should be #facepalm. If you asked Europeans if they are happy with the current position and if they could have done anything differently I would hazard a guess that those currently losing out would have something to say.
    This is just an invention. It barely registered as an issue at general elections until Cameron called the referendum.
    And this is how we ended up with Brexit.
  • And every consumer pays slightly more. Perfecto!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

I think you said you run a small engineering firm. Out of interest, when you have advertised for staff over the past 20 years, how often have EU27 citizens applied?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Because one side linked the top 5 issues to membership of the EU and...
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

david37 said:

lots of first world problems being whined about here
    I suppose democracy is something you would like to suspend when it suits.

You should look up what that saying means and then look up Ghana.

Or take my word for it that it means the very opposite of what you think
    I think stressing about access to a favourite lycra brand or an obscure cheese is very definitely a first world problem. in Britains case these may be the temporary issues created by democratic Brexit.

I dont know much about Ghana other than these two things.

1 There is widespread and extreme poverty by western standards, I doubt they blow 5-10k on a bike and hundreds more on the right shoes to make them look pro.

2 the gentlemen there are endowed in a lonley spinster pleasing sort of way and are not opposed to marriage proposals from old ladies (or gents) in possession of a first world passport.

They may have some gold too.

• Let us know how many months we need to wait before pointing out it's not temporary.
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed - we'll be alright. Would have been substantially better if we'd stayed in, for economic and non-economic reasons. Things will settle down into a position with us being worse off as a country every year than we could have been because things are more difficult/more expensive, and that will add up to a huge number that nobody will notice.
  • briantrumpet

Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed - we'll be alright. Would have been substantially better if we'd stayed in, for economic and non-economic reasons. Things will settle down into a position with us being worse off as a country every year than we could have been because things are more difficult/more expensive, and that will add up to a huge number that nobody will notice.

And the worse off who voted for Brexit will be even more worse off.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    Ghana didn't agree to roll over the trade agreement it has with the EU and therefore has tariffs added to bananas. Requesting a roll over by the UK was, apparently, unreasonable and arrogant in the time available. Instead the UK should have just agreed to not add tariffs to banana and pineapples on a temporary basis with nothing in return.

Ghana is part of a multi country custom union which makes agreeing a trade deal more challenging.
  • elbowloh
    david37 said:

david37 said:

I think stressing about access to a favourite lycra brand or an obscure cheese is very definitely a first world problem. in Britains case these may be the temporary issues created by democratic Brexit.

1 There is widespread and extreme poverty by western standards, I doubt they blow 5-10k on a bike and hundreds more on the right shoes to make them look pro.

2 the gentlemen there are endowed in a lonley spinster pleasing sort of way and are not opposed to marriage proposals from old ladies (or gents) in possession of a first world passport.

It's across lots of sectors and it's not just us in the UK not being able to buy what we like, but rather UK business no longer being able to sell their products.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Lads. The U.K. is a first world country so criticising people for having “first world problems” isn’t the own you think it is.
  • Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed - we'll be alright. Would have been substantially better if we'd stayed in, for economic and non-economic reasons. Things will settle down into a position with us being worse off as a country every year than we could have been because things are more difficult/more expensive, and that will add up to a huge number that nobody will notice.

+1, +1

As previously mentioned there was a strong correlation between being dependent upon the State and voting Brexit.
  • sungod
    david37 said:

david37 said:

making false statements again, classic brexiter
  • sungod

Anyway, my opinion on this hasn't changed - we'll be alright. Would have been substantially better if we'd stayed in, for economic and non-economic reasons. Things will settle down into a position with us being worse off as a country every year than we could have been because things are more difficult/more expensive, and that will add up to a huge number that nobody will notice.

+1, +1

As previously mentioned there was a strong correlation between being dependent upon the State and voting Brexit.
    +1³
  • sungod
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55788542

near his home in the bahamas, clearly not so keen on the uk, the country he did so much to damage
  • elbowloh
    So he was living in the Bahamas, Carswell has moved to the US. Farage got German passports for his kids. Dyson moved his business to Singapore, Ineos has selected Germany for its car plant...

It's fucking unbelievable to be honest.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    sungod said:

goes to show that tory nutters can be woke trendies too
    I was in Mannheim, Germany, for one day about 20 years ago, and I noticed that one part of the town has streets simply called A4, B2, C7, etc, and another part of the town has streets with names which translate as Little Beginning, Good Improvement, Fresh Courage, Great Stamina, etc.
    I've no idea why the streets A4, B2, etc were never given normal street names, but I suspect the latter streets were built for German refugees from parts of eastern Europe which Germany lost after WW2 like Silesia (now SW Poland), trying to give the refugees strength and optimism about their new situation.
    So not dissimilar to the Birmingham idea, even if I think both ideas probably fruitless (although maybe the Mannheim street names might be useful to councils in Brexit-voting areas).
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Lads. The U.K. is a first world country so criticising people for having “first world problems” isn’t the own you think it is.

Look at the definition on Wikipedia and expand your mind.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576

Just stealing ideas from Weatherspoons now. They know their electorate.
  • elbowloh
    From the Times,

MasterCard have announced that they are increasing the fee it charges UK customers buying goods from the EU from 0.3% to 1.5%.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    elbowloh said:

From the Times,

MasterCard have announced that they are increasing the fee it charges UK customers buying goods from the EU from 0.3% to 1.5%.

Boosting company profits.
    #winning
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    edited January 2021
    elbowloh said:

From the Times,

What's the rationale? Have their costs increased, or is it opportunism?