BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Stevo_666 said:

It makes me laugh a bit that people are worried about getting cycling kit from the EU, when Covid has so far cost the Country £300,000,000,000!

It's crazy times.

True, a sense of perspective is needed, especially given this has happened and its not going to change for the foreseeable.
    Five years is hardly beyond the foreseeable. The idea that we sit back at that point and say 'no we're happy with the way things are' seems a bit fanciful.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

Here is something I don't get. I thought the BOE's remit was to set interest rates according to inflation figures. If we see an increase in the cost of products to the UK via the EU in various ways, surely that means interest rates will have to rise?

Won't this have a catastrophic impact on servicing the COVID debt?

I find it difficult to get into my head round how close to zero interest rate have become the norm. This doesn't make sense and goes against historic levels.

• Here is something I don't get. I thought the BOE's remit was to set interest rates according to inflation figures. If we see an increase in the cost of products to the UK via the EU in various ways, surely that means interest rates will have to rise?

I find it difficult to get into my head round how close to zero interest rate have become the norm. This doesn't make sense and goes against historic levels.

they will declare it a non-recurring factor and not raise interest rates and even if they did they could just buy even more in the market and force rates down

in fairness the inflation will not have been driven by excessive demand
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

Here is something I don't get. I thought the BOE's remit was to set interest rates according to inflation figures. If we see an increase in the cost of products to the UK via the EU in various ways, surely that means interest rates will have to rise?

they will declare it a non-recurring factor and not raise interest rates and even if they did they could just buy even more in the market and force rates down

Having zero interest rates isn't normal and we know it came as a result of the financial crisis.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459

Stevo_666 said:
    This downside doesn't count because we already know about it
    Add on "No point in worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.".
    Not sure I can see what point you're trying to make. Can you clarify?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    ddraver said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:
    Pretty sure the argument about tariffs was that the hit the consumer? Which way do you want it?
    Do you think having no customs controls at all is a viable strategy? What other laws should we ignore as they re inconvenient?
    I didn't say that. It was about the flip side of the argument used on here that tariffs hit the consumer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Insurmountable paperwork crippling businesses across the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55719498
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    edited January 2021

Having zero interest rates isn't normal and we know it came as a result of the financial crisis.
    Few things.

1) yes when rates are already almost zero there isn’t much ammunition left for monetary policy to work.

2)

What you’re describing is essentially stagflation, where suddenly the cost of doing everything is increased for no extra demand.

Often a cause is sudden super high oil prices.

To illustrate see the chart above.

This deal essentially restricts aggregate supply (as the suppliers are caught up paying for more paperwork or general trade friction to generate the same level of output as it did before) so that moves the aggregate supply curve upwards, creating a new equilibrium of less total output and higher prices. Greaaaat.

3) supply side shocks aren’t a demand problem but a supply side problem so monetary policy is ill suited to solving the problem. This short summary explains the problem and potential solutions.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/040615/what-actions-or-policies-can-government-agency-take-counteract-and-end-stagflation-economy.asp
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2021
    https://www.schroders.com/sv/insights/brexit/schroders-quickview-stagflation-looms/

Schroders’ #2 economist explains it here and potential boe solutions.
  • rick_chasey
    £1.50 per bottle roughly.

How many bottles of European wine do people drink a year?
  • Does anybody else find it grimly fascinating to watch the impact of wrenching ourselves out of the SM/CU. It had been part of every day life for so long that it had become part of life allowing small businesses of buy and sell across the EU as easily as they could within the UK.

We were blithely told that the rest of the world trade with the EU and so shall we. Maybe it is time that we study how they trade with the EU and maybe advise the likes of the ubiquitous Mr Perkes how to transform his business.

Yes our economy will adapt but businesses will die, people will lose income and jobs. Consumers will have less choice and higher prices.

If you believe in the efficiency of the market then you believe that the previous way of doing things was the most efficient.

I feel most sorry for small businesses who voted Remain who will see their livelihoods destroyed.

I don’t have an axe to grind with thee true believers like Rees Mogg and Farage but if the charlatans like Boris we’re strung up I would not shed a tear.
  • £1.50 per bottle roughly.

How many bottles of European wine do people drink a year?
    A S Wales merchant reckoned it would be more like 2 quid a bottle.
    Supermarkets to come out on top again.
    So ultimately it means chalk another one up for less choice.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • That pandemic only just started?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

Does anybody else find it grimly fascinating to watch the impact of wrenching ourselves out of the SM/CU. It had been part of every day life for so long that it had become part of life allowing small businesses of buy and sell across the EU as easily as they could within the UK.

We were blithely told that the rest of the world trade with the EU and so shall we. Maybe it is time that we study how they trade with the EU and maybe advise the likes of the ubiquitous Mr Perkes how to transform his business.

Yes our economy will adapt but businesses will die, people will lose income and jobs. Consumers will have less choice and higher prices.

If you believe in the efficiency of the market then you believe that the previous way of doing things was the most efficient.

I feel most sorry for small businesses who voted Remain who will see their livelihoods destroyed.

I don’t have an axe to grind with thee true believers like Rees Mogg and Farage but if the charlatans like Boris we’re strung up I would not shed a tear.

Yes. And wondering how long the excuses "teething problems", "it's only one small sector", "they didn't prepare", etc. will be used to explain away the shitshow, while businesses who profit at the expense of consumers because of reduction of competition are touted as making the whole thing a roaring success.

But who could have seen that screwing up the relationship between your biggest and nearest trading partner could have had downsides?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Reading how issues aren't purely Brexit related but people are just fed up dealing with Britain. Great news....🤬

"Shipping lines have been trying to drive down demand from British importers by charging a premium for deliveries to the UK, or bypassing the country's ports altogether.
    One shipping line recently offered freight rates of $12,050 for a 40ft container from China to Southampton, but charged just $8,450 for the same container to travel from China to Rotterdam, Hamburg, or Antwerp.
    The UK's largest container port at Felixstowe has been experiencing long delays since October. Congestion has also been a problem at the Port of Southampton, albeit to a lesser extent.
    The bottlenecks were initially caused by a surge in imports as business activity picked up after the first wave of the pandemic. Huge shipments of PPE and the usual Christmas rush added to container volumes and ports struggled to cope.

"Most of the carriers just don't want UK cargo because of the issues when the vessels dock, so mainly they're favouring European ports and we are having to truck containers over," said freight forwarder Craig Poole.
    He said that adds a cost of up to £2,000 per container, and takes an extra seven to ten days to reach the delivery point in the UK.
    For business-owners like Helen White , the difficulties affecting global shipping can't be solved quickly enough.
    "Lots of little start-ups are really hurting," she said. "It has been paired with logistical nightmares across Europe as well. It just feels like logistics is falling apart at the moment. It's hard to see where the resolution is.""
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Don't worry chaps, it's all worth it. The intangible, invisible benefits are amazing. Trust me.

I've got a bridge for sale if anyone's interested?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Don't worry chaps, it's all worth it. The intangible, invisible benefits are amazing. Trust me.

I've got a bridge for sale if anyone's interested?

No, it's moved on to "it's not brexit causing problems, it's this deal".
  • elbowloh
    B.b.b.but we were told it was a brilliant deal? We were going to have our cake AND eat it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pblakeney said:

Reading how issues aren't purely Brexit related but people are just fed up dealing with Britain. Great news....🤬

"Shipping lines have been trying to drive down demand from British importers by charging a premium for deliveries to the UK, or bypassing the country's ports altogether.
    One shipping line recently offered freight rates of $12,050 for a 40ft container from China to Southampton, but charged just $8,450 for the same container to travel from China to Rotterdam, Hamburg, or Antwerp.
    The UK's largest container port at Felixstowe has been experiencing long delays since October. Congestion has also been a problem at the Port of Southampton, albeit to a lesser extent.
    The bottlenecks were initially caused by a surge in imports as business activity picked up after the first wave of the pandemic. Huge shipments of PPE and the usual Christmas rush added to container volumes and ports struggled to cope.

"Most of the carriers just don't want UK cargo because of the issues when the vessels dock, so mainly they're favouring European ports and we are having to truck containers over," said freight forwarder Craig Poole.
    He said that adds a cost of up to £2,000 per container, and takes an extra seven to ten days to reach the delivery point in the UK.
    For business-owners like Helen White , the difficulties affecting global shipping can't be solved quickly enough.
    "Lots of little start-ups are really hurting," she said. "It has been paired with logistical nightmares across Europe as well. It just feels like logistics is falling apart at the moment. It's hard to see where the resolution is.""

I wonder what the people shipping containers to Rotterdam think about that 8000 dollar cost. Can you explain why the EU rate has roughly doubled. It can't be brexit can it. If the UK sorted out its container ports the cost differential would reduce.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

I wonder what the people shipping containers to Rotterdam think about that 8000 dollar cost. Can you explain why the EU rate has roughly doubled. It can't be brexit can it. If the UK sorted out its container ports the cost differential would reduce.
    It's a huge bonus for Rotterdam over the $12,000 charge to go to Southampton.
    #winning
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    Here's another example. Being charged £10,000 per container, when they used to pay £1600.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

#winning
    It's like when we were discussing the rising cost of Shimano products and what SRAM, campag would do. I suggested they would start raising their prices.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    Hahahaha. All's well in Telegraph land... not a single article about the impact of Brexit in today's paper. No wonder its readers think everything's going swimmingly.

• I was about to suggest he would fit in well with the Brexiteers on here.

It also ties in with the freedom of speech debate as to whether this sort of utter tosser should be allowed to keep on lying to the poorly educated foot soldiers that he persuaded to destroy their own livelihoods?
  • elbowloh
    It's just nonsense. UK fisherman can't sell their fish because all the restaurants are closed across the UK are closed, but the real problem is those nasty foreign fisherman coming here to steal our fish to sell in Europe. What? I thought all the restaurants were shut so there was no market in Europe. Who are they selling their stolen fish to?

Oh, and it's not the "remoaners" who are highlighting this issue, it's the pro-brexit fishing community you tosser.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

#winning
    I think you are missing the point. The EU will not be reacting favourably to such high shipping costs on their side either.
  • briantrumpet
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

#winning
    I think you are missing the point. The EU will not be reacting favourably to such high shipping costs on their side either.

Eh?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

Does anybody else find it grimly fascinating to watch the impact of wrenching ourselves out of the SM/CU. It had been part of every day life for so long that it had become part of life allowing small businesses of buy and sell across the EU as easily as they could within the UK.

Intrigued by your distinction. Farage has segued from Brexit to faux libertarianism with barely a moment's pause. JRM is as much a performance piece as Johnson.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition