BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

pangolin said:

Can someone explain to me why Brexiters are celebrating signing a trade agreement with Canada that acts as a continuation of the existing agreement it had as part of the EU?

I thought the whole point of Brexit was to be free from the awfulness of EU led trade deals?

The plan is to renegotiate it in due course for the benefit of both sides. I suspect celebrations are because a lot of people said grandfathering deals wouldn't be possible. The tribal nature of Brexit seems to be like that.
    I thought the response had been rather muted on all sides.

Do we know how many more need to be rolled over and if anybody will notice if we don’t?
    "While it was an EU member, the UK was automatically part of around 40 trade deals which the EU had with more than 70 countries. In 2018, these deals represented about 11% of total UK trade.

So far, more than 20 of these existing deals, covering 50 countries or territories, have been rolled over and will start on 1 January 2021. This represents about 8% of total UK trade, based on 2018 figures. But it is clear that new deals with some countries will not be ready in time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47213842
    Another remain lie punctured.

Remoaners said we would not be able to grandfather trade deals.
    are you sure that "grandfathering trade deals" was even a thing back in 2016?

Leave argued we were going to gain from doing bespoke deals so why would there have been a discussion about the likelihood of grandfathering existing deals?
    I said equivalence and that could easily be applied to trade deals in the grandfathering term. Taking Canada as an example we are no worse off and can now work towards an improved trade deal for both parties.
    How's the trade deal with the UK's biggest trading partner going?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

pangolin said:

Can someone explain to me why Brexiters are celebrating signing a trade agreement with Canada that acts as a continuation of the existing agreement it had as part of the EU?

I thought the whole point of Brexit was to be free from the awfulness of EU led trade deals?

The plan is to renegotiate it in due course for the benefit of both sides. I suspect celebrations are because a lot of people said grandfathering deals wouldn't be possible. The tribal nature of Brexit seems to be like that.

Do we know how many more need to be rolled over and if anybody will notice if we don’t?
    "While it was an EU member, the UK was automatically part of around 40 trade deals which the EU had with more than 70 countries. In 2018, these deals represented about 11% of total UK trade.

So far, more than 20 of these existing deals, covering 50 countries or territories, have been rolled over and will start on 1 January 2021. This represents about 8% of total UK trade, based on 2018 figures. But it is clear that new deals with some countries will not be ready in time."

Leave argued we were going to gain from doing bespoke deals so why would there have been a discussion about the likelihood of grandfathering existing deals?
    I said equivalence and that could easily be applied to trade deals in the grandfathering term. Taking Canada as an example we are no worse off and can now work towards an improved trade deal for both parties.
    What, when they're still struggling to sort out a trade deal for the UK to trade with the UK?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

pangolin said:

What, when they're still struggling to sort out a trade deal for the UK to trade with the UK?
    Or Kent with England.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

pangolin said:

Noting that there were many people on both sides of the argument, I remember the professor that said it would be impossible to convert EU law into UK law, because it was heavily intertwined. And yet, it was done with relative ease. Do I think he was lying? No, but I do think he was being a bit overconfident in his opinion.

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

pangolin said:

Noting that there were many people on both sides of the argument, I remember the professor that said it would be impossible to convert EU law into UK law, because it was heavily intertwined. And yet, it was done with relative ease. Do I think he was lying? No, but I do think he was being a bit overconfident in his opinion.

I would have said he was making a false statement with deliberate intent to deceive. Alternatively he could be the thickest professor and should be immediately removed from post before he claims anything else is impossible. Either way it does not look good.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663

pangolin said:

From the small exposure to legislation that I have through work, I'm sure it can be converted. Whether it still works as intended afterwards is another matter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    edited November 2020

Stevo_666 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

john80 said:

It's almost as if they are trying to shaft British workers.
    “Here you go. That’ll keep you busy until redundancy..”
    On a positive note, it secure some mid-term jobs but 100% a death sentence on your job.

The UK industry certainly needs to pivot rapidly and the signs are there's nobody leading that pivot.

Wonder how EV's an military procurement are being envisaged?
    I'm aware of a small scale EV car company starting up, brand new company but backed by a self-made technology / engineering billionaire. Their aim is to get a factory up and running but also develop a hub at the site for major manufacturers to develop their EV production.

Many of the major manufacturers seem to still be a long way behind the curve on EVs and ultimately they'll end up like Kodak did, failing to adapt and going from household name to destruction.
    This is what happens when you let your national car makers get bought up because you don't support manufacturing over the decade long periods it needs. If you were BMW would you pivot your business within your home nation to the benefit of your citizens where you live or spend your money in Britain creating an electric revolution. I know what I would do if I was that German exec..
    I would put my investors money where I could get the best return.
    Yeah global car brands dont invest more heavily in far parts of their empire than the ones close to head office. It's usually a lot more to do with self interest than the best return.
    Of all the censored I have ever read on this site, that is the most contradictory, stupid thing yet. And I've read a lot of stupid censored .
    Ok given you are such a self proclaimed smart guy. Do corporations tend to do their big changes in tech close to their head offices and centres of power or do they seek a region that only exists to enable the brand to increase its presence in markets outside this. This is particularly pertinent to BMW and the British brands it procured over a decade ago of which only mini remain and this is shrinking all the time. Maybe Facebook will do their development in Ireland instead of Silicon valley. Or maybe they will stick to their centres where their highly paid staff are.
    And I said "I would put my investors money where I could get the best return".
    If they don't do that, investors money will go elsewhere or the board will be removed.
    It has nothing to do with centres of power, next to their office or whatevery..
    You keep believing that companies scientifically put their investment where they would generate the maximum return whilst ignoring human behaviour and group think. Maybe you think it is a coincidence that a large number of financial institutions locate themselves in the most expensive part of Britain.
    because that is where they will get the best return. If you were an investor with a few billion, do you put it in a city institution or with Dave from Grimsby?
    and that any back office function that can be done in a cheaper part of the country/world is done in a cheaper part of the country/world.
    I get the feeling that is already fairly well known. A fair bit of the City back office job losses have down to this (for example HSBC): anecdotally my Group has been doing similar, not necessarily removing jobs from the UK but moving them from higher cost locations around the region to 'shared service centres' in lower cost locations.
    Quite a few firms are going for an even cheaper option of moving it to the houses of their back office employees....
    Could be even cheaper if they do the same in lower cost countries...

We'll need to see to what degree that becomes permanent, although it is almost certain to reduce the demand for office space. In the end each company need to weigh up the cost/benefit and decide accordingly. Based on possible savings Central London rent and business rates and doing some mental maths on what that cost is per employee I can still see a case for offshoring in quite quite few scenarios.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • so the Guv'nor of the BofE thinks that a no-deal Brexit will do more economic damage to the UK than the global pandemic. As there is a wafer thin difference between any deal we might achieve and no-deal it is a reasonable assumption that it will also be worse that Covid.

What baffles me is why the Brexiteers on here are so adamant that it will be an economic success when none of the leading Brexiteers have said so.
  • so the Guv'nor of the BofE thinks that a no-deal Brexit will do more economic damage to the UK than the global pandemic. As there is a wafer thin difference between any deal we might achieve and no-deal it is a reasonable assumption that it will also be worse that Covid.

What baffles me is why the Brexiteers on here are so adamant that it will be an economic success when none of the leading Brexiteers have said so.

I think you are misreading.

What they have said is "the predictions have been wrong before". I don't think that's quite the same as "it will be an economic success".

What they have said is "the predictions have been wrong before". I don't think that's quite the same as "it will be an economic success".
    so they think that things will be the same?

Don't know - I'd guess "not a total disaster short term", and then there's no way of knowing what would have happened in the EU, so no way of comparing.

Don't know - I'd guess "not a total disaster short term", and then there's no way of knowing what would have happened in the EU, so no way of comparing.
    Its a bit like blowing up a building. No one knows if it would have just fallen down the next day anyway...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540

so the Guv'nor of the BofE thinks that a no-deal Brexit will do more economic damage to the UK than the global pandemic. As there is a wafer thin difference between any deal we might achieve and no-deal it is a reasonable assumption that it will also be worse that Covid.

The strange thing is that they are often also the same people who think that with Covid we should be prioritising the economy over lives. I can't work out if this is a massive irony or an acceptance that we can't endure two big financial hits at around the same time.
  • Pross said:

so the Guv'nor of the BofE thinks that a no-deal Brexit will do more economic damage to the UK than the global pandemic. As there is a wafer thin difference between any deal we might achieve and no-deal it is a reasonable assumption that it will also be worse that Covid.

The strange thing is that they are often also the same people who think that with Covid we should be prioritising the economy over lives. I can't work out if this is a massive irony or an acceptance that we can't endure two big financial hits at around the same time.
    to me it tells you the priorities
    Brexit
    Economy
    Lives

I imagine most would be willing to trade 50,000 pensioners per annum for a pure Brexit
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916

Pross said:

to me it tells you the priorities
    Brexit
    Economy
    Lives

I imagine most would be willing to trade 50,000 pensioners per annum for a pure Brexit
    I think it's more utter mistrust of experts which they tell themselves is healthy scepticism.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2020

So I think there is something in this.

Now, I don't see this as a legitimate reason or logical reason to vote for Brexit but...

...if your town has gradually become more and more of a sh!thole, rising unemployment, local services shutting down, talent flight because it's rubbish, the usual spiral of shitness, when some Canadian on a million quid a year in a nice suit smooth talks about how Brexit will make things worse, you can see the logic in thinking "well it's sh!t anyway, so why should I listen to the idea we're all more prosperous from this as I'm obviously not, and you're clearly doing alrite out of it so what's the rub?"

Now, we can argue about why this is and why the town has been left to spiral into shitness (hint, it's not to do with the EU) but that is where the 'what use are experts' chat comes from.

What irked me so much was the f*cking gall of the slimy sh!t Gove to latch onto that sentiment not out of any interest in said towns, but for his own twisted populist vision of England where the good friday agreement is a national shame, the c*nt.

So I think there is something in this.

Now, I don't see this as a legitimate reason or logical reason to vote for Brexit but...

...if your town has gradually become more and more of a sh!thole, rising unemployment, local services shutting down, talent flight because it's rubbish, the usual spiral of shitness, when some Canadian on a million quid a year in a nice suit smooth talks about how Brexit will make things worse, you can see the logic in thinking "well it's sh!t anyway, so why should I listen to the idea we're all more prosperous from this as I'm obviously not, and you're clearly doing alrite out of it so what's the rub?"

Now, we can argue about why this is and why the town has been left to spiral into shitness (hint, it's not to do with the EU) but that is where the 'what use are experts' chat comes from.

What irked me so much was the f*cking gall of the slimy sh!t Gove to latch onto that sentiment not out of any interest in said towns, but for his own twisted populist vision of England where the good friday agreement is a national shame, the c*nt.
    A good old levelling down
  • rick_chasey
    I like to think @shortfall will recognise what I'm saying but who knows.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited November 2020
    Other than brown people, I'd say that explains the rest too. The tragedy, of course, is that Brexit has limited the potential for their lives to get better even further

I not sure I can say I feel sorry for them right now, but they may be the first I have a glimpse of sympathy for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Beautiful British Actors can't even play Beautiful British Royals anymore...

tAkE bAcK ConTrOl!!
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    ddraver said:

tAkE bAcK ConTrOl!!
    They're struggling with geography a bit there, and must think the UK has left Europe.
  • john80
    ddraver said:

tAkE bAcK ConTrOl!!
    Almost the perfect fishing scam to get details of a load of kids passports as the start of your identity theft scam. I guess they are filming inside in Europe and not using any UK locations for this masterpiece of film.
  • ddraver
    edited November 2020
    They can use 99 British locations, but if Kid William can't work in the one in Europe...

Soz Little Jimmy, We'll take the one with the Irish passport.

(Googling Spencer Film Casting expecting to find an acting agency, in fact, reveals that Kristin Stewart is about to play Diana in a film called 'Spencer'. I fear the royals may be about to get an even bigger kick than The Crown...)
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,344
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    Nowhere else to put this but pleased to see the Dutch far right party is falling to pieces in a remarkably public internal squabble.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited November 2020
    Another remoaner invention that was created to try and undermine democracy finally exposed as the lie it was. As usual, many of the gullible stupids on here believed this rubbish and were happy to spread and repeat this lie

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663

Nowhere else to put this but pleased to see the Dutch far right party is falling to pieces in a remarkably public internal squabble.

Seems to be a problem with people who go around looking for a fight. When there's no-one else, they are forced to fight with themselves.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Seems to be a problem with people who go around looking for a fight. When there's no-one else, they are forced to fight with themselves.
    Haha yeah. Though how public they're doing it is remarkable. Going on chat shows and the other side literally calling in live to throw them under the bus it's amazing.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    rjsterry said:

Sounds a bit like the UK far left party :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    ddraver said:

They can use 99 British locations, but if Kid William can't work in the one in Europe...

Soz Little Jimmy, We'll take the one with the Irish passport.

(Googling Spencer Film Casting expecting to find an acting agency, in fact, reveals that Kristin Stewart is about to play Diana in a film called 'Spencer'. I fear the royals may be about to get an even bigger kick than The Crown...)

I am intrigued as to how the European kid working in those 99 British locations is going to get on or maybe this is all bull. Have the UK got some arrangement where anyone can work in the UK post Jan but the EU is a no go zone for Brits?