BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    pangolin said:

john80 said:

This apologising for things getting worse, wtf.

Why not strive for better?

There would be little point with you mate as you hold not value in any of the upsides potential upsides of Brexit.
    Why don’t you list the upsides and then we will try and have a calm debate about them

Well, we've already started with the risk of fresh food shortages lasting only a few months...
    Don't forget forcing those nasty millennial upstarts to have swede on their toast instead of avocado.
    That might explain the disproportionate response to the article on here :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

There would be little point with you mate as you hold not value in any of the upsides potential upsides of Brexit.
    Why don’t you list the upsides and then we will try and have a calm debate about them

Well, we've already started with the risk of fresh food shortages lasting only a few months...
    Don't forget forcing those nasty millennial upstarts to have swede on their toast instead of avocado.
    Well as someone pointed out the vast majority don't come from the EU, so stricter EU borders won't solve the tide of Avocados filling our overcrowded supermarkets. Easy target though.

Hold on, this sounds familiar...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

There is little point as the last 1500 pages have shown. We could control immigration but some people think that is a bad idea. We could support strategic industries over decades which some will argue is a waste of time. We could amend the human rights act to give more balance but some wont like that. All of the above are upsides for some but not for others. Someone will be along in a minute to point out they have lost some cash so it was always a terrible idea and there literally coild be no upside ever.
    Immigration could have been controlled in the EU and we chose not to, we now have more control but chose not to exercise that and net immigration remains unchanged.
    Pretty sure we could support strategic industries in the EU.
    I am no lawyer but thought human rights was nothing to do with EU.
    Bizarrely most people on here do not fit the demographic of people who will lose most from Brexit.
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2020
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Well as someone pointed out the vast majority don't come from the EU, so stricter EU borders won't solve the tide of Avocados filling our overcrowded supermarkets. Easy target though.

But but but there might be some shortages for a few weeks so that alone justifies a u turn, doesn't it?

Point I am making above is that its a weak argument.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

When Stevo reposts the Telegraph and/or Coopster reposts the Express, claiming Barnier has been sacked you know we're nearly there ;)
    We all know that the EU doesn't sack anyone for doing a bad job, as I've said on here before.
    Our current government will only sack people outside the party.
    I’m not sure that’s better.
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2020
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

When Stevo reposts the Telegraph and/or Coopster reposts the Express, claiming Barnier has been sacked you know we're nearly there ;)
    We all know that the EU doesn't sack anyone for doing a bad job, as I've said on here before.
    Name someone in the EU hierarchy who has been sacked.

Try answering without Googling for some obscure official
  • Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

But but but there might be some shortages for a few weeks so that alone justifies a u turn, doesn't it?

It's an argument no one is making as far as I can see.

It's a bad idea, it's happened, there's going to need to be border infrastructure and systems by the end of the year whether there is a trade deal or not. If there isn't, there's going to be delays. Just the way it is given the decisions already taken.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

So why all the fuss and 4 pages of debate? Unless people are just whingeing for sake of it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

That Irish bloke that went to his golf club in lockdown.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

So why all the fuss and 4 pages of debate? Unless people are just whingeing for sake of it.
    Err read back a tad. It was John and David saying that shortages were a good thing, more seasonal fruit and veg would be great, and avocados are bad anyway so preventing "hipsters" from eating them was a win.

I was just correcting that point.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Err read back a tad. It was John and David saying that shortages were a good thing, more seasonal fruit and veg would be great, and avocados are bad anyway so preventing "hipsters" from eating them was a win.

I was just correcting that point.
    I was not saying they were a good thing but rather some perspective is needed. Any border in times of difficulty such as french fisherman blocking ports in the event of a no deal will need to decide what gets on the next ferry. It might just not be your strawberries in January grown in a greenhouse in Spain. I wont lose sleeo over this.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

That Irish bloke that went to his golf club in lockdown.
    So you can't name him?

Although Phil Hogan resigned.
  • Times reporting a positive (IMO) from Brexit, we are to ban entry to all EU citizens who have been sentenced to a year in prison.

The bad news for some of you lot is the EU is likely to reciprocate
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Someone said the head of Tesco didn't know what he was talking about.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Who was that? Would be good if you can quote the relevant post asI can't see one.
  • Stevo_666

Times reporting a positive (IMO) from Brexit, we are to ban entry to all EU citizens who have been sentenced to a year in prison.

Times reporting a positive (IMO) from Brexit, we are to ban entry to all EU citizens who have been sentenced to a year in prison.

We just need to persuade Boris to make whingeing a crime :p
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Who was that? Would be good if you can quote the relevant post asI can't see one.
    Coopster a few times. Couple pages back.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

He and his company know there is going to be an issue but they are not going to do anything to mitigate it? No serious company will do that.

He is purely playing politics for a referendum that was lost in 2016
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

He and his company know there is going to be an issue but they are not going to do anything to mitigate it? No serious company will do that.

I don't think he's a politician. I'm sure he'd rather not have 18% tariffs on food coming in, but with or without that, there's going to be new infrastructure and checks that won't be perfect on Jan 1st.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

There is little point as the last 1500 pages have shown..... it was always a terrible idea and there literally coild be no upside ever.
    As above.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

I don't think he's a politician. I'm sure he'd rather not have 18% tariffs on food coming in, but with or without that, there's going to be new infrastructure and checks that won't be perfect on Jan 1st.
    So they engage with markets outside the of the EU. They will already be doing this for a number of fresh products so they know how to do this.

You are positioning this like it is the first time they will have ever imported anything from outside the EU
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

So they engage with markets outside the of the EU. They will already be doing this for a number of fresh products so they know how to do this.

You are positioning this like it is the first time they will have ever imported anything from outside the EU
    Sometimes people need reminding that around half of our imports come from non-EU countries. We manage to deal with those somehow.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

Sure, but that realignment isn't happening in the next 70 days. They'll do what they can, but I think he knows his business.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

Sure, but that realignment isn't happening in the next 70 days. They'll do what they can, but I think he knows his business.
    Head to Iceland (the shop, not the country) and buy some frozen veg if you're worried. Then maybe we can move on to something more substantive.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

Head to Iceland (the shop, not the country) and buy some frozen veg if you're worried. Then maybe we can move on to something more substantive.
    Stop banging on about it and move on then.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Think about it.

Stop banging on about it and move on then.
    After you....
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

webboo said:

Has anybody mentioned the wine. I know it doesn’t go off not that it would have a chance in our house. But a couple of lost or slow trucks and me and missus could be in purgatory.

Could ruin the beaujolais nouveau mind..
    Nothing could make Beaujolais Nouveau any worse than it already is!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    spatt77 said:

webboo said:

Has anybody mentioned the wine. I know it doesn’t go off not that it would have a chance in our house. But a couple of lost or slow trucks and me and missus could be in purgatory.

Depends on the vintage...

(nod to Dell Boy / John Sullivan).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    edited October 2020
    spatt77 said:

webboo said:

It would be taking quite loose definition of 'fresh fruit'. Although I like to count it as part of my '5 a day' :smile:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

Two wrongs...
    Glass houses...

I am simply saying we are performing to a similar low standard.