BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

Humour me. What does this mean?
  • TheBigBean

Being permanently contrarian, and just opposing whatever anyone is saying, isn't being balanced either fwiw.

Come on TBB, tell him he's wrong.
    Only if you agree with me.
  • A vaguely positive article in the Times also contained this bit

There is no good deal on fishing for the French fleet; it would come out badly from any compromise. What worries some in the government is that this might deter Emmanuel Macron from getting involved in the search for an agreement. They fear that he might choose not to dip his hand in fish guts, but instead let things slide to no-deal. Then after a few months, which European capitals believe would increase the pressure on London to compromise, he could re-engage and tell French fishermen that he had won them back a chunk of their old quota.
    He and the EU won't have months to resolve this issue as the French fishermen blockage will quickly put the pressure on him and the EU to get a resolution.

My bet is subsidies will be introduced as compensation. The battle within the EU around this will be great to watch from the outside as they realise they should have been more proactive in the negotiations
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    edited September 2020

Roy Walker, Catchphrase
    "Say what you see"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509

Stevo_666 said:

Useful thread on why a deal won't do away with border issues

Who said it would?

That said, it is something that the Irish may be interested in after my post above ;)
    We were promised the same or better than our current trade terms.

Specifically it was Gove who said it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36074853
    That is a different point from mine.

Any sort of partial dislocation of Ireland from the single market would be a massive climbdown by the EU and would also make a mockery of all these statements of solidarity about the EU 'standing behind its members'. However, as mentioned above, more work is needed to get to the bottom of it - and indeed even if it is a posible outcome it may not even come to pass. I'm sure some of you are hoping that it won't....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

Roy Walker, Catchphrase
    "Say what you see"
    I'm not that keen.

In other news, your lookalike (Sammy Wilson) might have had a decent Brexit, but he's having a bad Corona. Caught not wearing a mask and comparing the UK to East Germany under the stasi.

• Humour me. What does this mean?
    Roy Walker, Catchphrase
    "Say what you see"
    I'm not that keen.

In other news, your lookalike (Sammy Wilson) might have had a decent Brexit, but he's having a bad Corona. Caught not wearing a mask and comparing the UK to East Germany under the stasi.
    He's gone full Coopster.
    Never go full Coopster.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • your lookalike (Sammy Wilson)

That's fucking harsh btw.
    No need.
    No need at all
  • Being permanently contrarian, and just opposing whatever anyone is saying, isn't being balanced either fwiw.

Come on TBB, tell him he's wrong.
    Yes it's a bit unfair from me.
    you have missed a rather good joke
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

That said, it is something that the Irish may be interested in after my post above ;)

Any sort of partial dislocation of Ireland from the single market would be a massive climbdown by the EU and would also make a mockery of all these statements of solidarity about the EU 'standing behind its members'. However, as mentioned above, more work is needed to get to the bottom of it - and indeed even if it is a posible outcome it may not even come to pass. I'm sure some of you are hoping that it won't....
    I was answering your question of "who said that" which was under
    WHAT IT TAKES TO HAVE FRICTIONLESS TRADE - AND WHY WE WON'T HAVE IT WITH THE EU EVEN WITH A TRADE DEAL
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Aside from your adviser suggesting it *might* happen, has anyone else suggested this is remotely likely? The IMB has been quietly moved down the pile to late December, if it ever even gets past Committee stage.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    So it sounds like.....BoJo doing his usual, giving into most things to secure a 'deal' which will be proclaimed as a some wonderful victory.
  • TheBigBean

your lookalike (Sammy Wilson)

That's censored harsh btw.
    No need.
    No need at all
    You didn't deny it last time when I mentioned it, so I have taken it as fact! No insult intended.
  • Gove was surprisingly detailed about what leaving would look like

“Preliminary, informal conversations would take place with the EU to explore how best to proceed,” he insisted. “It would not be in any nation’s interest artificially to accelerate the process and no responsible government would hit the start button on a two-year legal process without preparing appropriately.”

He refused to isolate a particular country as the model for the type of relationship Britain could have with the EU but insisted it could remain part of “a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey, that all European nations have access to, regardless of whether they are in or out of the euro or the EU”.

Vote Leave contends that Britain’s trade deficit with its EU trading partners would mean they would be ready to offer tariff-free access to this free trade zone, without forcing Britain to remain a part of the single market; or to accept free movement, or make contributions to the EU budget.

“Preliminary, informal conversations would take place with the EU to explore how best to proceed,” he insisted. “It would not be in any nation’s interest artificially to accelerate the process and no responsible government would hit the start button on a two-year legal process without preparing appropriately.”

He refused to isolate a particular country as the model for the type of relationship Britain could have with the EU but insisted it could remain part of “a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey, that all European nations have access to, regardless of whether they are in or out of the euro or the EU”.

Vote Leave contends that Britain’s trade deficit with its EU trading partners would mean they would be ready to offer tariff-free access to this free trade zone, without forcing Britain to remain a part of the single market; or to accept free movement, or make contributions to the EU budget.

Sounds like "trade with us or else"
    I'm was a remoaner but we've left now so I only see two ways out; SM/EEA deal or no-deal. There simply isn't the political good-will out there to get something in between.
  • Stevo_666

Roy Walker, Catchphrase
    "Say what you see"
    I'm not that keen.

How do you know that twh looks like Sammy Wilson? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Aside from your adviser suggesting it *might* happen, has anyone else suggested this is remotely likely? The IMB has been quietly moved down the pile to late December, if it ever even gets past Committee stage.
    Like I say, more research needed. I only heard it yesterday second hand. The reaction to the mere possibility of this is quite interesting though.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Like I say, more research needed. I only heard it yesterday second hand. The reaction to the mere possibility of this is quite interesting though.
    Ah, so now it's something you heard second hand. 😄. But then we did sign an international treaty imposing a border within our own territory just to win an election so I guess the truth is stranger than fiction.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who said it would?

Ah, so now it's something you heard second hand. 😄. But then we did sign an international treaty imposing a border within our own territory just to win an election so I guess the truth is stranger than fiction.
    The lead part on our account relayed the view of one of his experts to me in a meeting the we had yesterday.

Even more interesting that you're now trying to discredit the source with minimal knowledge of the facts here...
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2020
    Fair enough; just reading what you wrote. Must admit I half thought you'd just made the whole thing up to cause a stir. I'm not clear how the EU could to any degree remove one of its members from the SM without either their consent or causing an absolute sh*tstorm, so I think I'll stick with 'technically possible but unlikely'. I think enforcing the agreement that has already been made is far more likely.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

I'm was a remoaner but we've left now so I only see two ways out; SM/EEA deal or no-deal. There simply isn't the political good-will out there to get something in between.
    It does feel like we may as well go no-deal than some half -rsed deal but that is what the loons think so is almost certainly wrong.
  • rjsterry said:

Fair enough; just reading what you wrote. Must admit I half thought you'd just made the whole thing up to cause a stir. I'm not clear how the EU could to any degree remove one of its members from the SM without either their consent or causing an absolute sh*tstorm, so I think I'll stick with 'technically possible but unlikely'.

If the UK were to renege on the Withdrawal Agreement we'd be back where we were in 2018 when Stevo's experts were telling him that a No Deal Brexit (No Withdrawal Agreement) would mean the EU would either compel Ireland to put up the single market border at the UK/NI land border or introduce checks between Ireland and mainland Europe, effectively compromising their place in the single market.

While it's shocking that Stevo thinks this a revelation, it's not entirely surprising.

I mean, Boris introduced a customs and regulatory border in the UK when Stevo wasn't paying attention, who knows what else he's missed?

• rick_chasey

Gove was surprisingly detailed about what leaving would look like

It does feel like we may as well go no-deal than some half -rsed deal but that is what the loons think so is almost certainly wrong.
    Look at the potential UK concessions for things joe public doesn't give a sh!t about - that's where the deal will be made.

e.g. Everyone hates bankers but they think fishing is some noble right, so they'll give up a shed-tonne on the City in return for a few extra square miles of sea to fish in.

etc.
  • I think there might be some follow on issues if Ireland is forced out of the single market against their will by a decision made unilaterally in England.
  • rjsterry

Gove was surprisingly detailed about what leaving would look like

Look at the potential UK concessions for things joe public doesn't give a sh!t about - that's where the deal will be made.

e.g. Everyone hates bankers but they think fishing is some noble right, so they'll give up a shed-tonne on the City in return for a few extra square miles of sea to fish in.

etc.
    I found out the other day that there are more than twice as many registered architects as those employed in the fishing industry. And it's not as though we are a big deal.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    edited September 2020

I think there might be some follow on issues if Ireland is forced out of the single market against their will by a decision made unilaterally in England.

'Who's going to build it' is a well worn riff

Glee at the impact on Ireland will wear off when the UK realises it too has an internal market and custom's union to protect and will have to do so with a land border.

• I think there might be some follow on issues if Ireland is forced out of the single market against their will by a decision made unilaterally in England.

Glee at the impact on Ireland will wear off when the UK realises it too has an internal market and custom's union to protect and will have to do so with a land border.

I think the suggestion is that to get around this, Ireland will leave the single market and (I guess) harmonise everything with the UK where there is a potential issue.
  • rick_chasey

I think there might be some follow on issues if Ireland is forced out of the single market against their will by a decision made unilaterally in England.

I think the suggestion is that to get around this, Ireland will leave the single market and (I guess) harmonise everything with the UK where there is a potential issue.
    I mean, the arrogance.
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

Fair enough; just reading what you wrote. Must admit I half thought you'd just made the whole thing up to cause a stir. I'm not clear how the EU could to any degree remove one of its members from the SM without either their consent or causing an absolute sh*tstorm, so I think I'll stick with 'technically possible but unlikely'.

If the UK were to renege on the Withdrawal Agreement we'd be back where we were in 2018 when Stevo's experts were telling him that a No Deal Brexit (No Withdrawal Agreement) would mean the EU would either compel Ireland to put up the single market border at the UK/NI land border or introduce checks between Ireland and mainland Europe, effectively compromising their place in the single market.

While it's shocking that Stevo thinks this a revelation, it's not entirely surprising.

I mean, Boris introduced a customs and regulatory border in the UK when Stevo wasn't paying attention, who knows what else he's missed?

It may well not be a revelation if it is what you think it is. However, some of you have been working on the basis that the EU will be an 'immovable object' on this issue so you have completely discounted the possibility of borders between ROI and the EU to date. And this being raised again as a possibility now that circumstances have changed makes you uncomfortable.

So settle down and I'll see what I can find out.