BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Anyway, Frost has just done an interview, so I expect more outrage.
  • Anyway, Frost has just done an interview, so I expect more outrage.

If we walk away can we tear up the WA?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728

"David Frost told the Mail on Sunday the UK would leave the transition arrangement - which sees it follow many EU rules - "come what may" in December."

Yes. That's how it works. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Maybe they think that annoying righties is a justification for keeping him.
  • TheBigBean

No. Unless the UK wants to make a case that the EU is in breach, and then it gets suspended in the event of successful arbitration.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not long ago I suggested that the EU fires Barnier to make some progress in the talks. OK, the EU never fires anyone for doing a bad job so this looks like this is the closest they will get to it:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

As its probably paywalled, here's a quote:
    "European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."

What I don’t get is why everybody is so sure that Barnier is a rogue operator and is not just following orders

Genuine question - do you think Boris wants a meaningful deal?
    Not so much rogue as maybe too intransigent or has rubbed up our side the wrong way too often?

I think Boris wants one but on certain terms. Not too far from what the EU wants generally in my view (although clearly they want different specific things).
    So you think he does not get the EU position or does not realise the relative weakness of his position.
    I reckon that he does not properly 'get' the EU position, but by the same token the EU still do not properly get our position either. But I'm speculating.
    I think it is a case of the EU not caring about our position and being wound up by posturing intended for a UK audience, the most obvious being “cake and eat it”
    Of course we only want the cake that the EU already sell to Canada, South Korea and Japan!
  • spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not long ago I suggested that the EU fires Barnier to make some progress in the talks. OK, the EU never fires anyone for doing a bad job so this looks like this is the closest they will get to it:

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/04/exclusive-michel-barnier-sidelined-eu-leaders-bid-break-brexit/

"European Union chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier is set to be sidelined by EU leaders in a bid to get a breakthrough in the negotiations about a trade treaty with the UK.

Representatives of the bloc’s 27 member states expect Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, to pave the way for heads of state and government to intervene in the deadlocked talks in a September 16 flagship speech."

What I don’t get is why everybody is so sure that Barnier is a rogue operator and is not just following orders

Not so much rogue as maybe too intransigent or has rubbed up our side the wrong way too often?

I think Boris wants one but on certain terms. Not too far from what the EU wants generally in my view (although clearly they want different specific things).
    So you think he does not get the EU position or does not realise the relative weakness of his position.
    I reckon that he does not properly 'get' the EU position, but by the same token the EU still do not properly get our position either. But I'm speculating.
    I think it is a case of the EU not caring about our position and being wound up by posturing intended for a UK audience, the most obvious being “cake and eat it”
    Of course we only want the cake that the EU already sell to Canada, South Korea and Japan!
    I don’t get this argument that because they have given a comprehensive FTA to other countries then they should do so for us.

No. Unless the UK wants to make a case that the EU is in breach, and then it gets suspended in the event of successful arbitration.

Would seem to be worth a try if we walk away
  • spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don’t get this argument that because they have given a comprehensive FTA to other countries then they should do so for us.

And the EU have (if memory serves correctly) explicitly discounted from the very beginning) this given our proximity.

We don't seem to have moved on far from the "We want to have our cake & eat it!" "We won't give you that." stand off, but with Johnson/Frost trying to make the "We'll walk away" threat believable.
  • TheBigBean

If you ignore pensions, by the end of the transition period, the UK's financial obligations won't be that big, so I'm not sure there would be that much to be gained.

There are objections to minor things like the geographical indicators, but the bigger stuff around citizens rights is agreed.

There is the NI matter too, but I don't think suspending the agreement will help with that.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    A thread from Katya Adler that would suggest that Stevo’s view of Barnier is the opposite of how he is seen by his employers - i.e. They think he is being, if anything, too flexible.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2020
    Frost seems to have forgotten that it was he and Johnson who 'blinked' when they concluded the WA.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

If you ignore pensions, by the end of the transition period, the UK's financial obligations won't be that big, so I'm not sure there would be that much to be gained.

There are objections to minor things like the geographical indicators, but the bigger stuff around citizens rights is agreed.

There is the NI matter too, but I don't think suspending the agreement will help with that.

I have read reports that the geographical indicators may not be such a minor thing with the US seeing them as a non-tariff barrier.
  • spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And the EU have (if memory serves correctly) explicitly discounted from the very beginning) this given our proximity.

We don't seem to have moved on far from the "We want to have our cake & eat it!" "We won't give you that." stand off, but with Johnson/Frost trying to make the "We'll walk away" threat believable.
    Not sure we have moved on from the Greek bloke who wrote a book about him being the world’s best negotiator and that when you are fooked you need to convince the other side you are a madman and so might make bad decisions.
  • spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not sure we have moved on from the Greek bloke who wrote a book about him being the world’s best negotiator and that when you are fooked you need to convince the other side you are a madman and so might make bad decisions.
    If you mean Varoufakis, that was not what he said. He said that they reallyactually needed to believe that crashing out of the Euro would be better than the consequences of staying in. He did. His PM claimed he did, then caved when the pressure came on (for better or worse).
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

A thread from Katya Adler that would suggest that Stevo’s view of Barnier is the opposite of how he is seen by his employers - i.e. They think he is being, if anything, too flexible.

The consistent opinion I read is that Barnier doesn't really believe the negotiating guidelines from the EU are possible and wants some high level discussion. That would be consistent with the above, but also consistent with the idea he is being sidelined if you put a bit of spin on it.
  • rjsterry said:

The consistent opinion I read is that Barnier doesn't really believe the negotiating guidelines from the EU are possible and wants some high level discussion. That would be consistent with the above, but also consistent with the idea he is being sidelined if you put a bit of spin on it.
    If you've read the Telegraph report, it's suggesting that both Frost and Barnier would be sidelined, but the source is just 'one EU diplomat', so who knows what the truth is...
  • There is nothing happening and print journalism is facing a financial crunch. Hence journo's writting anything that pays the rent.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Proximity is a poor excuse. I don't recall any previous trade deals being pulled or altered by the EU because of the distance of the other party.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Proximity is a poor excuse. I don't recall any previous trade deals being pulled or altered by the EU because of the distance of the other party.

Well, poor excuse or not, they've been clear about it since at least February. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/brexit-deal-different-ball-game-canada-agreement-eu-uk-brussels-trade
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452

Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well, poor excuse or not, they've been clear about it since at least February. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/brexit-deal-different-ball-game-canada-agreement-eu-uk-brussels-trade
    So you're not disagreeing that its a poor excuse.

I'm sure the UK has been clear on a few points related to Brexit for while that you think are wrong, but not sure they get a free pass.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm sure the UK has been clear on a few points related to Brexit for while that you think are wrong, but not sure they get a free pass.
    I still don’t get this argument. It is not like a legal precedent, they can do whatever they want. They said it in February so that means it is right to say that is their position.
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I still don’t get this argument. It is not like a legal precedent, they can do whatever they want. They said it in February so that means it is right to say that is their position.
    Not quite, they have made the following legal commitment.

The Union and the United Ki ngdom shall use their best endeavours, in good faith and in full respect of their respective legal orders, to take the necessary steps to negotiate expeditiously the agreements governing their future relationship referred to in the Political Declaration of 17 October 2019 and to conduct the relevant procedures for the ratification or conclusion of those agreements, with a view to ensuring that those agreements apply, to the extent possible, as from the end of the transition period. 287
  • rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The Union and the United Ki ngdom shall use their best endeavours, in good faith and in full respect of their respective legal orders, to take the necessary steps to negotiate expeditiously the agreements governing their future relationship referred to in the Political Declaration of 17 October 2019 and to conduct the relevant procedures for the ratification or conclusion of those agreements, with a view to ensuring that those agreements apply, to the extent possible, as from the end of the transition period. 287
    I think the PD has a commitment to level playing field provisions as well. But let's keep whingeing that they won't give us what they gave Canada as if that will change anyone's mind.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    edited September 2020
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

spatt77 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think the PD has a commitment to level playing field provisions as well. But let's keep whingeing that they won't give us what they gave Canada as if that will change anyone's mind.
    It does, but the EU's interpretation of it is apparently quite generous especially in light of amendments to earlier drafts.
  • The galaxy big brains are at it again

Lol

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• And so we're back about 1500 pages in this thread, and the impossibility of squaring that circle. I imagine that the EU and Ireland might have some views on it... talk about groundhog day...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Head in hands
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    Are they just trying to wind everyone up?