BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We all knew the EU wanted further integration, yet many turned a blind eye to this and voted Remain.

Those who voted Leave have saved the UK.

The common debt point was definitely crossing a line and is a victory for the likes of Macron who are open about wanting a Federal Europe. The COVID crisis was something that nobody could have foreseen, but it seems that the federalists have seized on their chance and good luck to the EU if that's what they really want.

My view at the time of the referendum was that we could stop this sort of thing by wielding the veto and rallying support amongst like minded member States. However if it had been a choice between leave and a Federal Europe (rather than simply remain), then I think the leave majority would have been much larger.
    OMG we literally had this discussion about 2 weeks ago.

THEY CAN ONLY DO THIS BECAUSE THE UK HAS ALREADY LEFT.

You're like the jealous husband who now insists because his ex-wife is dating other men that she always wanted to cheat.
    Jealous of what? I definitely don't want to be part of a Federal Europe.

I don't disagree that the EU has more scope to integrate without the UK as we were often a 'blocker'. That's up to the EU and the remaining member states now.
    Do you think closer union in the EU is overall good or bad for the UK?
    Not really thought about it. I'm sure thats a fairly complex point in its own right.
    that is a really good question.

Anything that helps are nearest neighbour and largest trading partner prosper has to be a good thing for the UK which begs the question will it be good for them economically.

The downside is that the EU allows integration by erecting external barriers which may get higher with closer union
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Barriers are going up in the three big markets for the foreseeable.

This has been *very well signposted*

UK is definitely zigging when the rest of the geopolitical world is zagging.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited August 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We all knew the EU wanted further integration, yet many turned a blind eye to this and voted Remain.

The common debt point was definitely crossing a line and is a victory for the likes of Macron who are open about wanting a Federal Europe. The COVID crisis was something that nobody could have foreseen, but it seems that the federalists have seized on their chance and good luck to the EU if that's what they really want.

My view at the time of the referendum was that we could stop this sort of thing by wielding the veto and rallying support amongst like minded member States. However if it had been a choice between leave and a Federal Europe (rather than simply remain), then I think the leave majority would have been much larger.

You're like the jealous husband who now insists because his ex-wife is dating other men that she always wanted to cheat.

I don't disagree that the EU has more scope to integrate without the UK as we were often a 'blocker'. That's up to the EU and the remaining member states now.
    Not really thought about it. I'm sure thats a fairly complex point in its own right.
    Overall, I think it will be negative, caused by the uncertainty created in the EU.

The infighting and further referendums lost in EU countries will all create further uncertainty inside the EU.

The federalists still do not get it. The more they try to pull others into their system, against their will, the more push back they will get and some will eventually leave their ideology.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Overall, I think it will be negative, caused by the uncertainty created in the EU.

The infighting and further referendums lost in EU countries will all create further uncertainty inside the EU.

The federalists still do not get it. The more they try to pull others into their system, against their will, the more push back they will get and some will eventually leave their ideology.
    If only there was at least one large and powerful country in the EU with the will to push back against the federalists, eh?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I know dyslexics have a penchant for spotting patterns and analogies in everything, but bomp, back me up, that's a sensible analogy in context, right?

Of course it is. Just Stevo being Stevo.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    A more integrated and federal EU will of course make it much more difficult for any country to leave which depending on how Brexit turns out will mean either no country wants to try it or a few will. Its a perfect storm for the EU to push a agenda!
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If only there was at least one large and powerful country in the EU with the will to push back against the federalists, eh?
    The electorate could not trust the politicians to perform this task as they were way out of touch with the view of the electorate.

Fortunately the electorate were asked and they took back control of the situation :wink:

This decision has saved the tax payers in the UK at least £70bn already
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Is the EU falling apart or turning into a federal superstate today?
    Hard to keep track.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509

I know dyslexics have a penchant for spotting patterns and analogies in everything, but bomp, back me up, that's a sensible analogy in context, right?

Not sure why you need Uncle Bompy to give you a bit of comfort on this one?

Anyhow, as to your point that they can only do this because the UK has left, of course it makes it easier to integrate without those awkward Brits. However we knew that the desire to go in that direction was always there.

The jealousy point is still irrelevant however. Its a choice for the EU.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Stevo_666 said:

Anyhow, as to your point that they can only do this because the UK has left, of course it makes it easier to integrate without those awkward Brits. However we knew that the desire to go in that direction was always there.

Perhaps it's more like leaving your wife, seeing her get on with her life and saying "I was right to leave her - I always knew she wanted to shag other guys".
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Perhaps it's more like leaving your wife, seeing her get on with her life and saying "I was right to leave her - I always knew she wanted to shag other guys".
    Really, no - that's not how I see it. It might be how Rick sees it, but as I've said he is no mind reader.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/20/eu-rejects-british-plan-for-post-brexit-return-of-asylum-seekers

EU negotiators have rejected a British request for a migration pact that would allow the government to return asylum seekers to other European countries.

When the Brexit transition period expires on 31 December, the government will lose the right to transfer refugees and migrants to the EU country in which they arrived, a cornerstone of the European asylum system known as the Dublin regulation.

The government is seeking to replicate the European system outside the bloc, although the Home Office has complained that the EU rules are “rigid, inflexible and abused by migrants and activist lawyers”.

The Guardian has learned that EU member states have ruled out a British plan to recreate the Dublin system outside the EU

lol
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/20/eu-rejects-british-plan-for-post-brexit-return-of-asylum-seekers

EU negotiators have rejected a British request for a migration pact that would allow the government to return asylum seekers to other European countries.

When the Brexit transition period expires on 31 December, the government will lose the right to transfer refugees and migrants to the EU country in which they arrived, a cornerstone of the European asylum system known as the Dublin regulation.

The government is seeking to replicate the European system outside the bloc, although the Home Office has complained that the EU rules are “rigid, inflexible and abused by migrants and activist lawyers”.

The Guardian has learned that EU member states have ruled out a British plan to recreate the Dublin system outside the EU

lol
    you should write to all concerned to tell them that this does not exist

so we have taken back control to ask for what we had before and be told no

more importantly, why did we think that they would agree?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/20/eu-rejects-british-plan-for-post-brexit-return-of-asylum-seekers

lol

Because there have been more Dublin agreement asylum seekers transferred to the UK than there are transferred from the UK?
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/20/eu-rejects-british-plan-for-post-brexit-return-of-asylum-seekers

lol

Because there have been more Dublin agreement asylum seekers transferred to the UK than there are transferred from the UK?
    From the 2018 numbers, the UK actually gains on this numbers wise. It is shocking that we only return 4% under this agreement though while we accept 63%

lol

Then why would we care?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665

lol

From the 2018 numbers, the UK actually gains on this numbers wise. It is shocking that we only return 4% under this agreement though while we accept 63%

It's only shocking if you don't understand basic geography and maths.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    Brexit and Coronavirus intersect again following the controversial revelation that 80 members of the Oireachtas (Irish Parliament) Golf Society met for a dinner in breach of Coronavirus regulations.

Among those in attendance, Phil Hogan, EU trade commissioner.

The Taoiseach and Tanaiste have suggested he consider his position. Hogan has reminded the Taoiseach and Tanaiste that he doesn't work for them.

Speculation that Varadkar fancies the job.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

Presumably when Barnier gets moved aside a second time and some form of compromise is needed?

Presumably when Barnier gets moved aside a second time and some form of compromise is needed?
    It does intrigue me that Barnier is seen as some all powerful being with unilateral powers whereas Frost is seen as a paid negotiator doing the bidding of his masters.
  • TheBigBean

It does intrigue me that Barnier is seen as some all powerful being with unilateral powers whereas Frost is seen as a paid negotiator doing the bidding of his masters.
    He's a politican and wants to be seen that way.
  • tailwindhome

Brexit and Coronavirus intersect again following the controversial revelation that 80 members of the Oireachtas (Irish Parliament) Golf Society met for a dinner in breach of Coronavirus regulations.

The Taoiseach and Tanaiste have suggested he consider his position. Hogan has reminded the Taoiseach and Tanaiste that he doesn't work for them.

In a further twist it seems that Hogan travelled to Kildare which is under lockdown before travelling onward to the golf dinner.

He only stopped in Kildare when he was stopped by the Garda for driving will using his mobile.

On the plus side it seems he won a George Foreman grill in the dinner raffle..

• TheBigBean

In a further twist it seems that Hogan travelled to Kildare which is under lockdown before travelling onward to the golf dinner.

He only stopped in Kildare when he was stopped by the Garda for driving will using his mobile.

He's probably also chuckling away about his democractic accountability.
  • tailwindhome

That will not change the outcome of the negotiations. He is the mouthpiece for a position agreed by committee
  • rick_chasey

That will not change the outcome of the negotiations. He is the mouthpiece for a position agreed by committee
    ...hence the inflexibility.

• TheBigBean

Of course it won't. I'm just explaining why there is a different perception.
  • Stevo_666

Just replace the words 'diplomatic immunity' with 'democratic accountability' in the clip below and imagine a different accent - and there you have it...

https://youtu.be/kwC_IaY3BmY

Of course it won't. I'm just explaining why there is a different perception.
    Different perception or ignorance? And is the ignorance wilful?
  • tailwindhome
    Death by a thousand cuts.
    Hogan resigns