BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

What the UK Govt is asking for has not been given to another country.

Yes trade will continue but it will reduce and will cut economic growth by 0.5 - 1% per annum. Doesn’t sound like much but compounded over 20 years makes a huge difference

"will cut economic growth by 0.5 - 1% per"? you don`t KNOW this? you may be right , you may be wrong but don`t know it! its a prediction based on taking no action to mitigate this! South Korea and Canada both have FTA`s with the EU where the ECJ has no jurisdiction over them.
    Imagine a flat stage of the TdF and a team announcing they are not going to ride in the peloton and one member of their team announcing he is going to ride solo. None of the pundits will know the outcome but all be very certain of what will happen.

Ask yourself this - why are the people who don’t care about an FTA with the EU so convinced that an FTA with the USA is the route to the land of milk and honey?

What you you do to mitigate no deal?

They are not legal proceedings, the EU is under no obligation to give us stuff due to precedent, we have to persuade them by showing the benefits to them of different courses of action.
    Imagine a flat stage of the TdF and a team announcing they are not going to ride in the peloton and one member of their team announcing he is going to ride solo. None of the pundits will know the outcome but all be very certain of what will happen.
    What like Chris Froome`s stage 19 of the 2018 Giro? where he broke away with 80kms to go on his own went on to win? ;)
    You ignored virtually every word that I wrote and ignored all but the last 80 Kms of that stage, all in all your response is the perfect metaphor for Brexit
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

Yes trade will continue but it will reduce and will cut economic growth by 0.5 - 1% per annum. Doesn’t sound like much but compounded over 20 years makes a huge difference

"will cut economic growth by 0.5 - 1% per"? you don`t KNOW this? you may be right , you may be wrong but don`t know it! its a prediction based on taking no action to mitigate this! South Korea and Canada both have FTA`s with the EU where the ECJ has no jurisdiction over them.

Ask yourself this - why are the people who don’t care about an FTA with the EU so convinced that an FTA with the USA is the route to the land of milk and honey?

They are not legal proceedings, the EU is under no obligation to give us stuff due to precedent, we have to persuade them by showing the benefits to them of different courses of action.
    What like Chris Froome`s stage 19 of the 2018 Giro? where he broke away with 80kms to go on his own went on to win? ;)
    You ignored virtually every word that I wrote and ignored all but the last 80 Kms of that stage, all in all your response is the perfect metaphor for Brexit
    I understand that feeling.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,498

pblakeney said:

I've never read anything like that, especially put so simply.
    If so, sod it. No deal.

One of the problems with the Brexit debate is that it has become so tribal that when the EU asks for identical fishing terms and dynamic regulation, one side of the debate thinks they are being reasonable.
    Not so much reasonable, as entirely predictable.

What were people expecting?
    I find that argument disappointing and it gets trotted out fairly regularly. If the EU is behaving in an unreasonable way, then it is not something to be admired, and dismissed, it is something to be criticised.
    It is to be criticised for trying to get a deal that favours their own objectives?

Heavens above.
    If you extrapolate from this a little. Do you think the UK's colonial period should be criticised? After all, it was simply getting deals that favour its own objectives. Or do you think that there are moral obligations that come with having power?
    I don't really follow the logic.

EU isn't killing anyone. The UK is doing this entirely voluntarily with consequences that were very predictable. Why should the EU want a competitor on the doorstep that undermines the integrity of the union?

If you believe in the value of the EU, then why would you want an important state leaving it be a success?

It's like you don't get that logic.
    Trying to regulate beyond its jurisdiction should be evidence against the value of the EU. Or to put it another way, if the UK were still in the EU, I would not want the EU to bully countries around the world into accepting its oversight. It's what the US does, it is what China is now doing, and the EU should be trying to be better than that.
    genuine question alert - if we said that US chicken that met a certain standard could be exported to the UK how would we ensure that? Surely it would work like our beef exports and there would be a blanket ban.
    Presumably either a blanket ban or some form of inspection. I don't think the latter is an attempt to regulate a country though if that is your angle.

not got an angle. I have no idea if the level of trust exists (anywhere) to make inspection a viable option. The only inspection examples I can think of are just non-tariff barriers to trade
    I believe under CETA the EU gets to inspect Canadian farmers.
    very accessible (and short) summary of CETA from Canada viewpoint
    https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/business-entreprise/sectors-secteurs/agri.aspx?lang=eng

Huge improvement on what they had before but along way off what we are used to.

There is a bunch of stuff that we would claim breach of sovreignty
    Like what?

Products for export to the EU must be produced in a federally registered establishment and for meat products an EU approved facility.

If a product is genetically modified (GM) or contains ingredients that are GM, the GM trait must be authorized in the EU and the product must be labelled accordingly.

I imagine the 6% not covered and the 5 years phasing in would be insurmountable problems for us.

looking at this superficial level of detail I don't think the UK is ready to do a deal with the EU and possibly with anybody. I think the public needs to feel some pain before they will be ready to accept the compromises necessary for any meaningful trade deal.
    The UK doesn't have a problem meeting EU regulations on exports to the EU. Its issue is meeting EU regulations on exports to other countries or for stuff consumed within the UK. I think you have misunderstood this.

For example, I don't mind meeting US finance regulations on a deal in the US. I can just about stomach it on a deal involving US dollars. It really irritates me on a deal that has nothing to do with the US at all.

my understanding is that most industries will produce to one standard which is why we want the UK standard to be accepted by the EU now and forever more, ie to be able to move away from the current standard which by definition meets EU regs

my other point is that if we allowed farmers to inject hormones into beef I would expect the EU to impose a blanket ban rather than allow certification on non-injected beef
    I think you have misunderstood the whole issue. The UK is happy conform to EU standards to sell to the EU.

I will spell this out once more and then give up.

Let's say the UK wanted to become a world leader in autonomous vehicles. It therefore decided to deregulate specifically in this area. As a result, the UK could see a boom in autonomous vehicle making and then sell them around the world. It would not sell them to the EU. It would not want to sell them to EU. It would not expect the EU to accept them as meeting EU standards because they won't. The UK however would not want the EU to block this deregulation as it has no impact on the EU.

Do you ever get the feeling thst some people are trying very hard not to understand?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

One of the problems with the Brexit debate is that it has become so tribal that when the EU asks for identical fishing terms and dynamic regulation, one side of the debate thinks they are being reasonable.

I find that argument disappointing and it gets trotted out fairly regularly. If the EU is behaving in an unreasonable way, then it is not something to be admired, and dismissed, it is something to be criticised.
    It is to be criticised for trying to get a deal that favours their own objectives?

Heavens above.
    If you extrapolate from this a little. Do you think the UK's colonial period should be criticised? After all, it was simply getting deals that favour its own objectives. Or do you think that there are moral obligations that come with having power?

EU isn't killing anyone. The UK is doing this entirely voluntarily with consequences that were very predictable. Why should the EU want a competitor on the doorstep that undermines the integrity of the union?

If you believe in the value of the EU, then why would you want an important state leaving it be a success?

Trying to regulate beyond its jurisdiction should be evidence against the value of the EU. Or to put it another way, if the UK were still in the EU, I would not want the EU to bully countries around the world into accepting its oversight. It's what the US does, it is what China is now doing, and the EU should be trying to be better than that.
    genuine question alert - if we said that US chicken that met a certain standard could be exported to the UK how would we ensure that? Surely it would work like our beef exports and there would be a blanket ban.
    Presumably either a blanket ban or some form of inspection. I don't think the latter is an attempt to regulate a country though if that is your angle.

not got an angle. I have no idea if the level of trust exists (anywhere) to make inspection a viable option. The only inspection examples I can think of are just non-tariff barriers to trade
    https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/business-entreprise/sectors-secteurs/agri.aspx?lang=eng

Like what?

Products for export to the EU must be produced in a federally registered establishment and for meat products an EU approved facility.

If a product is genetically modified (GM) or contains ingredients that are GM, the GM trait must be authorized in the EU and the product must be labelled accordingly.

I imagine the 6% not covered and the 5 years phasing in would be insurmountable problems for us.

looking at this superficial level of detail I don't think the UK is ready to do a deal with the EU and possibly with anybody. I think the public needs to feel some pain before they will be ready to accept the compromises necessary for any meaningful trade deal.
    The UK doesn't have a problem meeting EU regulations on exports to the EU. Its issue is meeting EU regulations on exports to other countries or for stuff consumed within the UK. I think you have misunderstood this.

For example, I don't mind meeting US finance regulations on a deal in the US. I can just about stomach it on a deal involving US dollars. It really irritates me on a deal that has nothing to do with the US at all.

my understanding is that most industries will produce to one standard which is why we want the UK standard to be accepted by the EU now and forever more, ie to be able to move away from the current standard which by definition meets EU regs

my other point is that if we allowed farmers to inject hormones into beef I would expect the EU to impose a blanket ban rather than allow certification on non-injected beef
    I think you have misunderstood the whole issue. The UK is happy conform to EU standards to sell to the EU.

Let's say the UK wanted to become a world leader in autonomous vehicles. It therefore decided to deregulate specifically in this area. As a result, the UK could see a boom in autonomous vehicle making and then sell them around the world. It would not sell them to the EU. It would not want to sell them to EU. It would not expect the EU to accept them as meeting EU standards because they won't. The UK however would not want the EU to block this deregulation as it has no impact on the EU.

Do you ever get the feeling thst some people are trying very hard not to understand?
    The EU? :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,498
    edited June 2020

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

I was thinking more about certain Cake Stoppers, but very true nontheless :smile: We've told them enough times in both cases.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,248
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

I was thinking more about certain Cake Stoppers, but very true nontheless :smile: We've told them enough times in both cases.
    https://youtu.be/_I35esjVolk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

It has an impact on the friction of existing trade with the EU.

So, say, all the cars are built to an EU standard; then fewer papers and inspections will need to be made by EU and British customs officers regarding the trade of cars, right?

All cars adhere, so all cars will waived through.

Divergence means friction as now they'd have to check the cars have the right spec as there's a chance they may not be.
    The UK wouldn't be exporting autonomous vehicles to the EU, so there would be no friction. The ones with steering wheels would be waved through.

How does the EU know the ones with steering wheels aren't autonomous vehicles dressed up for show? It doesn't, perhaps it would start inspecting them, but that is the same with meeting any other regulation. Imagine the UK promised to meet some vehicle emission tests, how would the EU know at the border?
    For the same reason they don't have to inspect them now.

• surrey_commuter

spatt77 said:

spatt77 said:

I understand that feeling.
    :)

if it helps I understand and agree with what you are saying, I just don't see it's relevance to the discussion in hand, I accept this is my failing.
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

So, say, all the cars are built to an EU standard; then fewer papers and inspections will need to be made by EU and British customs officers regarding the trade of cars, right?

Divergence means friction as now they'd have to check the cars have the right spec as there's a chance they may not be.
    The UK wouldn't be exporting autonomous vehicles to the EU, so there would be no friction. The ones with steering wheels would be waved through.

How does the EU know the ones with steering wheels aren't autonomous vehicles dressed up for show? It doesn't, perhaps it would start inspecting them, but that is the same with meeting any other regulation. Imagine the UK promised to meet some vehicle emission tests, how would the EU know at the border?
    For the same reason they don't have to inspect them now.

the most bizarre thing about this analogy is that it ignores the fact that the UK would be free to spunk Govt money on the autonomous car which would have been in breach of EU rules on state aid.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

So the EU inspect every Tesla sold on a EU country that is not the UK at present. No like most countries they put the onus on the seller who is best placed to know if the product meets the host countries standards. For sure they check duties etc but they dont dive into the details of thousands of cars arriving on a transport ferry from Soith Korea for example. Do you think a guy checks that all toys from china sold in france meet standards. If so he is a pretty busy guy.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

pblakeney said:

If so, sod it. No deal.

Heavens above.

Like what?

So the EU inspect every Tesla sold on a EU country that is not the UK at present. No like most countries they put the onus on the seller who is best placed to know if the product meets the host countries standards. For sure they check duties etc but they dont dive into the details of thousands of cars arriving on a transport ferry from Soith Korea for example. Do you think a guy checks that all toys from china sold in france meet standards. If so he is a pretty busy guy.
    How’s your straw man argument working out?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    The government doesn't have time to pass the legislation it needs to get brexit done before 31st Dec so they're bringing the House back in the midst of a pandemic

Or

The socialists, nationalists and Remoaners in Parliament are refusing to come back and do their jobs in a treacherous effort to thwart Brexit

As you see fit

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    Isn't each vote going to take half a day or something, because they need to queue up outside Ikea?
  • rick_chasey
    It's f*cking stupid.

• Parliament needs to sit otherwise the government has no moral authority to ask the rest of the country to restart. If things are inconvenient then even better as that is what the real world is also experiencing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938

Parliament needs to sit otherwise the government has no moral authority to ask the rest of the country to restart. If things are inconvenient then even better as that is what the real world is also experiencing.

Sorry, what?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently there's no precedent for hierarchy for voting in parliament, so if BoJo turns up late to a vote he'll have to go to the back of the queue.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone know what the contingency plans are for MPs who have been advised to stay at home? Either vulnerable or looking after someone who is?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Anyone know what the contingency plans are for MPs who have been advised to stay at home? Either vulnerable or looking after someone who is?

They'll just have to turn up and die. Hasn't Coops explained this enough times for you?
  • kingstongraham

Parliament needs to sit otherwise the government has no moral authority to ask the rest of the country to restart. If things are inconvenient then even better as that is what the real world is also experiencing.

Government advice:
    - You should take all reasonable steps to help people work from home.
    - Staff should work from home if at all possible.
    - Objective: That everyone should work from home, unless they cannot work from home.
    - Planning for the minimum number of people needed on-site to operate safely and effectively.
  • kingstongraham
    When you think you're queuing for Harry Potter's World of Wizarding ride, but end up voting for Brexit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

Pairing presumably.
  • When you think you're queuing for Harry Potter's World of Wizarding ride, but end up voting for Brexit.

The best way to change stupid rules is to get those who wrote them to live them.

Should only take a couple of weeks of this before sensible rules start being considered/implemented. 1m social distancing instead of 2m would improve things swiftly
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2020
  • kingstongraham

When you think you're queuing for Harry Potter's World of Wizarding ride, but end up voting for Brexit.

The best way to change stupid rules is to get those who wrote them to live them.

Should only take a couple of weeks of this before sensible rules start being considered/implemented. 1m social distancing instead of 2m would improve things swiftly
    To be honest, your views are completely irrelevant, because your aim is quite different from those of the people writing the regulations.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

To be honest, your views are completely irrelevant, because your aim is quite different from those of the people writing the regulations.
    Worryingly, I'm not sure that's actually true
  • surrey_commuter

to be fair the principle is sound, there are a lot of people who argue the same for removing MPs DB pension schemes so they understand the trials and tribulations of DC schemes, annual allowance and lifetime allowance and the impact of frequently changing legislation.
  • kingstongraham

to be fair the principle is sound, there are a lot of people who argue the same for removing MPs DB pension schemes so they understand the trials and tribulations of DC schemes, annual allowance and lifetime allowance and the impact of frequently changing legislation.
    I've already said that the guidance is that everyone should work from home unless they cannot work from home. If they want to send a message, maybe it can be that one.
  • surrey_commuter

I've already said that the guidance is that everyone should work from home unless they cannot work from home. If they want to send a message, maybe it can be that one.
    i said the principle was sound.

In practise it is sending a message that employers can arbitrarily decide that employees attend the office
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2020