BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• More remoaner nonsense being dispelled today.

36k more EU nationals were working in the UK in Q4 2019 than a year earlier.

Do any of those idiots who said EU nationals would stop coming to the UK want to own up to their stupidity?

I'm confused - wasn't that one of the main selling points of Brexit?
    You are confused because you have been intentionally ignorant, no other reason
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/why_vote_leave.html
  • More remoaner nonsense being dispelled today.

36k more EU nationals were working in the UK in Q4 2019 than a year earlier.

Do any of those idiots who said EU nationals would stop coming to the UK want to own up to their stupidity?

I'm confused - wasn't that one of the main selling points of Brexit?
    You are confused because you have been intentionally ignorant, no other reason
    http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/why_vote_leave.html
    Actually, ignore that - it also says that "There is a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to the Russian border. We will still be part of it after we Vote Leave." so is clearly a load of nonsense put out by closet remoaners.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,525

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

It's the same fight in any government: a bunch of guys with brilliant ideas and a smaller bunch

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

They all pay more OR they spend less. More detail here.

https://www.politico.eu/article/8-takeaways-from-the-new-eu-budget-proposal/

@ Coopster: this may come as a surprise, but we will be contributing to existing commitments until 2064.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039

It'll be 2025 before annual payments drop below a billion.

It's the direction of travel that matters, as they say :)
    Which direction of travel of what are we talking about here. A shame they dodged the opportunity to put proper sanctions on the Polish and Hungarian p***takers.
    Our reducing payments over time.
    The comment was on the length of the tail. I'll be nearly in my 90s by the time we're paid up.
    Big deal. You said yourself the payments would be under a billion by 2025. That's around 10% of the last full years net contribution.
    Hahaha
    Missing the point again...

RJS was trying to rile Coopster and I was simply pointing it wasn't a large amount in the scheme of things. If you are counting that as some sort of win then you've clearly lowered your expectations to create success :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    rjsterry said:

So?

They have 67million fewer people to worry about.

Sure, they'll all have to chip in more or make do with less. Probably a bit of both.
    I can't see that it's going to change anything fundamentally. There are already voices within the EU arguing for reduced spending.

Last time around Cameron and Merkel led the Frugals, and negotiated the budget down to 0.950% of gross national income (gni) (presumably tax take across member states - but I'm not sure):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/08/european-union-budget-night-talks

This time around UK aren't in the mix and Germany seem to be standing on the sidelines according to the article Stevo posted:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/16/stressed-heads-to-start-brussels-budget-talks-post-brexit

Th EU Commssion wants a budget of 1.100% gni, the EU Council are pushing for 1.074%. The end result will likely be inbetween.

Assuming gni is a usable "real terms" figure, then this budget will be 13 to 16% higher in real terms for each member state compared to the one Cameron negotaited for us in 2013.

Feel free to dispute/correct the maths.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,637
    edited February 2020
    Barnier has changed his mind. Canada deal is no longer available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51549662

A reminder

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,686
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

It's the same fight in any government: a bunch of guys with brilliant ideas and a smaller bunch

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

@ Coopster: this may come as a surprise, but we will be contributing to existing commitments until 2064.

Which direction of travel of what are we talking about here. A shame they dodged the opportunity to put proper sanctions on the Polish and Hungarian p***takers.
    The comment was on the length of the tail. I'll be nearly in my 90s by the time we're paid up.
    Big deal. You said yourself the payments would be under a billion by 2025. That's around 10% of the last full years net contribution.
    Hahaha

RJS was trying to rile Coopster and I was simply pointing it wasn't a large amount in the scheme of things. If you are counting that as some sort of win then you've clearly lowered your expectations to create success :smile:
    At ~1.1% of public spending it was never that large an amount in the scheme of things.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

A reminder

There is a big gap between what both sides want.
  • TheBigBean

A reminder

There is a big gap between what both sides want.
    Yes, but Barnier previously said that the UK's red lines meant that the only deal available was a Canadian/Korean style free trade agreement. The UK has now agreed to this, and the deal has been removed.
  • rick_chasey
    The Uk hasn’t agreed to that if you look at the substance. They’re calling it Canada but it ain’t.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020
    The problem as I see it is the closer the U.K. gets to a “fully divergent from the EU” position, with the associated friction, the smaller the difference between that and failing to agree to any deal.

I’m not convinced this U.K. govt will necessarily fold and increasingly the EU has a priority of not having a competitive neighbour.

Neither helps them get to a mutually beneficial compromise.
  • rjsterry

The problem as I see it is the closer the U.K. gets to a “fully divergent from the EU” position, with the associated friction, the smaller the difference between that and failing to agree to any deal.

I’m not convinced this U.K. govt will necessarily fold and increasingly the EU has a priority of not having a competitive neighbour.

Agreed. General consensus seems to be that statements about wanting to diverge should be taken at face value. "Australia style" non-deal here we come.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Canada was a deal with two countries converging. Our will be two countries diverging which is a different set of problems.

Why does nobody ask him about Rwandan style terms?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Hahaha

At ~1.1% of public spending it was never that large an amount in the scheme of things.
    Oh OK, so the £10bn a year hole in the EU budget isn't a big deal, but the £1bn a year tail end liabilities of the UK is a big deal?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The Uk hasn’t agreed to that if you look at the substance. They’re calling it Canada but it ain’t.

What are the main differences?
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Agreed. General consensus seems to be that statements about wanting to diverge should be taken at face value. "Australia style" non-deal here we come.
    Clearly the EU are worried about us out-competing them. I wonder why?
  • Stevo_666

A reminder

Hard to see why the EU has U-turned on this unless they previously thought we that would never go for a Canada style deal and now that we are, they are worried about us out-competing them.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Hahaha

Oh OK, so the £10bn a year hole in the EU budget isn't a big deal, but the £1bn a year tail end liabilities of the UK is a big deal?
    Neither is. Coopster seemed to think it was all over, when it won't be for a quite a while; that's all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited February 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

With the new immigration policy released this evening, they can probably relax a bit. Not sure how central control of the labour force fits with any plans to out-compete the EU. F*** business indeed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• No discussion around Cummings latest hire? For a man so keen on super forecasting he seems completely unable to predict the public reaction to hiring someone linked to eugenics.

• rick_chasey
    Jeremy.89 said:

No discussion around Cummings latest hire? For a man so keen on super forecasting he seems completely unable to predict the public reaction to hiring someone linked to eugenics.

I have a horse in this argument but who knew throwing out a painstakingly assembled recruitment process out the window and hiring some guy who’s read the same books as you would go so badly?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Rankin thread I posted above gives you an idea.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2020
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

With the new immigration policy released this evening, they can probably relax a bit. Not sure how central control of the labour force fits with any plans to out-compete the EU. F*** business indeed.
    No different in principle to the controls over non-EU workers coming into the EU. It will be more about how it is worked in practice.

Although clearly there will be other factors that concern the EU.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Rankin thread I posted above gives you an idea.
    Not a good one. Can you clarify for us?
  • Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

No different in principle to the controls over non-EU workers coming into the EU. It will be more about how it is worked in practice.

I think he is looking at it from a UK point of view and querying whether government rather than markets will best allocate resources.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2020

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I think he is looking at it from a UK point of view and querying whether government rather than markets will best allocate resources.
    We've already well established Stevo is not in the business of encouraging competition, either in business, politics, or anywhere else.

He's made plenty of 'lump of labour' arguments to argue why it make sense to restrict the labour force, so this position should come as no surprise.

Why bother upping your game when you can vote in governments that protect your weak game?
  • rjsterry

Jeremy.89 said:

No discussion around Cummings latest hire? For a man so keen on super forecasting he seems completely unable to predict the public reaction to hiring someone linked to eugenics.

I have a horse in this argument but who knew throwing out a painstakingly assembled recruitment process out the window and hiring some guy who’s read the same books as you would go so badly?
    Who indeed? The theory that Johnson would revert to being a conventional One Nation Conservative after the election is looking pretty shaky.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    One thing I have found in my fairly limited career is that people who want to break up long recruitment processes and push for 'quick decisions' usually end up hiring their mates.

Doubly so if their need for quick decision making is 'transformation' or even 'revolution' as having someone they 'trust' is of outside importance.

How can you 'trust' someone who's come externally who you've never worked with or known before?
  • TheBigBean

One thing I have found in my fairly limited career is that people who want to break up long recruitment processes and push for 'quick decisions' usually end up hiring their mates.

Doubly so if their need for quick decision making is 'transformation' or even 'revolution' as having someone they 'trust' is of outside importance.

How can you 'trust' someone who's come externally who you've never worked with or known before?

Worked with them as a client before and seen the quality of work they have produced. Obviously still running a risk that they are a pain as a colleague, but probably more informative than most interview processes.
  • rjsterry
    And to enact revolution, you need centralised control, both within the structure of government itself - one single team of SPADs; expulsion of any dissenting voices - and in external policy - massive infrastructure projects and the new restrictions on the labour market.
    Pinnacle Monzonite