BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• You've seen the Leave.EU tweet?
  • Disgusting.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Caroline Flint: ‘Just get it done, I haven’t a clue how to resolve the Irish border issue, but just get it done.’
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Robert88 wrote:
    How would you deal with it?
    I'd revoke A50. This would:

Give us control of our borders (not in Schengen)
    Give us control of our currency (not in the euro)
    Give us control of our laws (with the UK veto)
    Give us the best trade deal possible (the one we already have)

Simple.

Germany Plus
    Ssshhhh.... don't mention the war!
  • You've seen the Leave.EU tweet?
    Driven by yesterday's hateful disinformation campaign from Dominic Cummings as No.10's secret source.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    edited October 2019
    Disgusting.
    And designed to disgust. Peter Foster retweeted it yesterday to describe his disgust, and then realised he'd fallen for Leave.EU's tactic and was spreading their publicity as much as a supporter.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.
    And designed to disgust. Peter Foster retweeted it yesterday to describe his disgust, and then realised he'd fallen for Leave.EU's tactic and was spreading their publicity as much as a supporter.
    It's really quite depressing that we've got to the stage where it's not only impossible to be too despicable, but the more despicable you are, the more your tribe lap it up.

I really don't know how we break out of this.
  • It's one of those times where the politicians should do what's better for the country, not for their party or themselves.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,592
    It's one of those times where the politicians should do what's better for the country, not for their party or themselves.

What's that then?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    TheBigBean wrote:
    It's one of those times where the politicians should do what's better for the country, not for their party or themselves.

What's that then?

I think it's called 'fantasy'.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

I have to say I found the surprise quite annoying.

Anyone who's been near a football match or at a normal school will know that kind of chat is common.
  • Yes but a political movement hopefully shouldn't be likened to a football match.

It reiterates the previous post about how depressingly tribal it's all become, back to calling Germans, Nazis.

It's disgusting.
  • rick_chasey
    In fairness, the football hooligan/fascist venn diagram has chunkier overlap than most.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

Anyone who's been near a football match or at a normal school will know that kind of chat is common.

Define a normal school. I've been visiting a few recently for the eldest's move up to secondary school and I've not seen anything close to that. I try to have as little to do with football as possible, but can well believe you're right on that front.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

Define a normal school. I've been visiting a few recently for the eldest's move up to secondary school and I've not seen anything close to that. I try to have as little to do with football as possible, but can well believe you're right on that front.

Might just be my school then but the German kids got the whole "one world cup and two world wars doo da" treatment quite a lot from the other kids.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

So you have a season ticket and do the school run each day?

What c*rp .
  • TheBigBean
    bradsbeard wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

So you have a season ticket and do the school run each day?

What c*rp .

I'm guilty of that, but wasn't charged.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

Might just be my school then but the German kids got the whole "one world cup and two world wars doo da" treatment quite a lot from the other kids.

I don't understand where you are going with childish bickering from children and political messaging?

We know children are immature.
  • rick_chasey
    What you think those kids grew up not thinking along similar lines?

Ha. OK. I guess we differ on that.
  • Sorry whatever you put there isn't clear - can you rephrase?

I'm pretty sure I was one of those prats who chanted similar things in my youth.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

I would hope things have moved on since you and were at school. From what I've seen, they have; massively. It's been made pretty clear that that sort of nonsense would not be tolerated within school, nor as far as they can police it outside. Can't say the same for football.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I didn't realise quite what a bunch Leave.EU are.

Proper fundamentalists. When Farage wasn't in the referendum debate, they sent out the private mobile numbers of BBC employees and Vote Leave members.
  • rjsterry
    Sorry whatever you put there isn't clear - can you rephrase?

I'm pretty sure I was one of those prats who chanted similar things in my youth.

I would say that schools no longer see that sort of behaviour as just kids being kids.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I am going to have to rethink my bubble as it never crossed my mind that any school would have a significant number of Germans in it. Where on earth do you lot all live?
  • rick_chasey
    I'd be surprised if the kids who I saw do that had reformed their opinions much since being a kid.

Generally I think the mentality in the leave poster is a lot more widespread that people care to admit. If you look at general brexiteer chat, which is not exclusive to a bunch of politicians or talking heads, it's a fairly logical step to the leave poster.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    bompington wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.
    It's really quite depressing that we've got to the stage where it's not only impossible to be too despicable, but the more despicable you are, the more your tribe lap it up.

I really don't know how we break out of this.

Plague?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    I am going to have to rethink my bubble as it never crossed my mind that any school would have a significant number of Germans in it. Where on earth do you lot all live?

Hot off the press. 0.6% of births in 2018 were to German mothers. 8th place.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... wales/2018
  • rjsterry
    I'd be surprised if the kids who I saw do that had reformed their opinions much since being a kid.

Generally I think the mentality in the leave poster is a lot more widespread that people care to admit. If you look at general brexiteer chat, which is not exclusive to a bunch of politicians or talking heads, it's a fairly logical step to the leave poster.

I do think people can have quite 'compartmentalised' minds about this sort of thing. Ranting about foreigners online but quite happy to go to the pub with Mar(e)k from sales after work.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I am going to have to rethink my bubble as it never crossed my mind that any school would have a significant number of Germans in it. Where on earth do you lot all live?

Richmond maybe?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Won't someone please think of Nigel Farage's children.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!