BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    One random hypothesis is that this was Merkel putting pressure on other EU member states.

Did that statement from no. 10 sound to you remotely like the sort of thing Merkel would say?

They might as well have held up a note in Johnson's own handwriting and claimed they'd received it from Merkel.
    Agree, this is very much not Merkel's (or Germany's) style when it comes to Brexit and public communications. They have been pretty diplomatic and careful not to 'stir things up'.

However regardless of who said what we are yet to see any sign of the EU budging on anything. As BB mentions above, if this does have any basis, could it be German trying to put pressure on other member states to shift? Let's see what if anything Germany says in response to this.

You really think Johnson's proposals were a sincere attempt to reach a compromise? I think this is all just a prelude to a manufactured showdown in parliament, an A50 extension and a GE. It'll be months before there is any significant movement on resolving Brexit.
    Maybe, but it represented movement on our side. What has the EU moved on?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Laura Kuenssberg
    ‏Verified account @bbclaurak

1. PM spoke to Merkel at 8am this morning - No 10 source says she said there could only be a deal if Northern Ireland stays in Customs Union, if not, then deal is 'overwhelmingly unlikely'

So permanent backstop is the only deal being offered. Not a great look, but I imagine that feelings on this will be split two ways as usual.

We could all stay in the Customs Union. I'd bet the majority of the country don't really care one way or the other. Party policy is the only thing saying this is absolutely unacceptable.

This is short sighted and i think a fair amount of the public are wary of permanent custom union alignment or worse still locked in a permanent backstop.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,679
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Laura Kuenssberg

1. PM spoke to Merkel at 8am this morning - No 10 source says she said there could only be a deal if Northern Ireland stays in Customs Union, if not, then deal is 'overwhelmingly unlikely'

So permanent backstop is the only deal being offered. Not a great look, but I imagine that feelings on this will be split two ways as usual.

We could all stay in the Customs Union. I'd bet the majority of the country don't really care one way or the other. Party policy is the only thing saying this is absolutely unacceptable.

This is short sighted and i think a fair amount of the public are wary of permanent custom union alignment or worse still locked in a permanent backstop.

Got anything to back that claim up? For the vast majority Customs are somebody else's problem.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,626
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    One random hypothesis is that this was Merkel putting pressure on other EU member states.

Did that statement from no. 10 sound to you remotely like the sort of thing Merkel would say?

They might as well have held up a note in Johnson's own handwriting and claimed they'd received it from Merkel.

I don't think Laura Kuenssberg's tweet sounds implausible. Other than that they spoke it is all speculation.

Put yourself in Merkel's shoes - what is her best move?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited October 2019
    john80 wrote:

What, you mean like the one we've already had for the last 45+ years? Up until three years ago, literally nobody (apart from Farage and a handful of other self-interested charlatans) was moaning about this.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Laura Kuenssberg

Got anything to back that claim up? For the vast majority Customs are somebody else's problem.

That can't be true, because I understand it is a major issue if there is one between NI and ROI.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Laura Kuenssberg

That can't be true, because I understand it is a major issue if there is one between NI and ROI.

I should clarify that as the vast majority in England and Wales. Even in NI, it's the checks and infrastructure that are the issue, as far as I understand it. Undoubtedly it has now to some extent become an identity issue. That the Customs regime is currently set by the EU alone makes it a good/bad thing depending on which tribe you belong to.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Maybe, but it represented movement on our side. What has the EU moved on?

Politics aside for a moment, since when has there been a necessity for "movement" in a negotiation?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Laura Kuenssberg

what % of the UK electorate do you think have a reasonable understanding of what a CU is?
  • Longshot

what % of the UK electorate do you think have a reasonable understanding of what a CU is?

Well Boris has helped them to get halfway there.
  • rjsterry
    A prediction from July 25th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/syrpis/statu ... 7699005440

So far, Johnson is following this pretty closely. Friendly approach to EU to start, then angry blame when they reject the thing designed to be rejected.

Key point is that he has no intention of leaving without a deal, but will manufacture a scenario where it appears that he would have done if it weren't for parliament. In that sense, the Benn Act is actually playing into his hands as it perfectly fits this false narrative.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Farmers not happy about the new post-Brexit tariffs published today.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:

woohoo :D

then again they are hard coded to never be happy

how miserable and demanding would be DUP farmer be??
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Nor UK HGV or clothing manufacturers I would imagine.

I know, I know. They should all be in FS and we should just import EVERYTHING.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Longshot wrote:

What % of the electorate, pre referendum, thought of the single market, the customs union and the EU as being three separate concepts.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Jez mon wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

What % of the electorate, pre referendum, thought of the single market, the customs union and the EU as being three separate concepts.
    What % of the electorate can spell any of those three entities, even with the words written down in front of them?
  • orraloon wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

What % of the electorate can spell any of those three entities, even with the words written down in front of them?

Longshot should be getting major Kudos for his comment
  • I'll be happy if my new Canyon is tariff free!
  • rjsterry
    Jez mon wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Or even post-referendum.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Longshot
    orraloon wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Longshot should be getting major Kudos for his comment

:lol: I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it...
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

FS is going to get fvcked the hardest but how and why is beyond the understanding of most and it does not count as they aren't real jobs
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,718
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

FS is going to get fvcked the hardest but how and why is beyond the understanding of most and it does not count as they aren't real jobs

Is pretty quiet now across the City re-hiring.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    We seem to be hiring compliance people every 30 seconds at the moment...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Could we agree that a job is a job, regardless of what proportion of GDP is attributable to that sector?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

The amount cleared through LCH and its market share has increased over the last few years. Plus it seems that everyone has dispatched a minion to some EU country to continue in the event of any loss of passporting. Amsterdam seems popular. Dublin, Frankfurt and Paris far less so. Furthermore, flags of convenience still seem to be possible.
  • TheBigBean
    HaydenM wrote:
    We seem to be hiring compliance people every 30 seconds at the moment...

Sadly, they cost a fortune. £200k pa - if there are any kids out there after high risk, utterly tedious career moves.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Is pretty quiet now across the City re-hiring.

I was thinking more long-term as the EU chips away at the jewel in our crown
  • rjsterry
    Still, on the upside, there's a potential £7.5bn market of form filling to be taken advantage of.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    Still, on the upside, there's a potential £7.5bn market of form filling to be taken advantage of.

That's the spirit, and it all adds to the GDP.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    rjsterry wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Or even post-referendum.
    Well, my Brexit voting father still thinks they are one and the same for one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.