BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yes yes but the electorate collectively are ignorant.

We all know this. That is why it is a representative democracy, and things like referendums are advisory.

We are in an election campaign mode; the parliamentary shenanigans are just defining what the campaign will look like, and plainly the Tories have an advantage in that being the government they can dictate the battlegrounds for the campaign more easily.

I would view everything that is done through the lens of how it impacts the election; I believe that is now the motive behind most or all of the behaviour. We know the Tory & SNP lines; the labour/lib dems lines are not clear, though Lib Dems will be obvious and will cut through.

So it seems the Tories have successfully defined the debate as per above.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 14879f1470
    Corbyn says it is absurd for Boris Johnson to present himself as representing the people against parliament

If you're saying that mate, then it's already job done.

I was interested to note that even George Osborne was pointing out that the idea that Corbyn is afraid of a general election is nonsense.

Congratulations!!

You just made the 36,000th post on this thread (and we are still in the EU!!!)
  • Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yes yes but the electorate collectively are ignorant.

We all know this. That is why it is a representative democracy, and things like referendums are advisory.

We are in an election campaign mode; the parliamentary shenanigans are just defining what the campaign will look like, and plainly the Tories have an advantage in that being the government they can dictate the battlegrounds for the campaign more easily.

I would view everything that is done through the lens of how it impacts the election; I believe that is now the motive behind most or all of the behaviour. We know the Tory & SNP lines; the labour/lib dems lines are not clear, though Lib Dems will be obvious and will cut through.

So it seems the Tories have successfully defined the debate as per above.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 14879f1470
    Corbyn says it is absurd for Boris Johnson to present himself as representing the people against parliament

If you're saying that mate, then it's already job done.

I was interested to note that even George Osborne was pointing out that the idea that Corbyn is afraid of a general election is nonsense.

Congratulations!!

You just made the 36,000th post on this thread (and we are still in the EU!!!)
    no he didn't
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming
    ‏Verified account @adamfleming

There will have to be a British commissioner if the UK asks for an Article 50 extension and it is granted, says @vonderleyen
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

There will have to be a British commissioner if the UK asks for an Article 50 extension and it is granted, says @vonderleyen

So what?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

What happens if BoJo doesn't nominate one? I don't know, but there is some thought to say that it would mean no extension.

The unresolved mystery for me is why the Lords ended the filibuster, and why there was no bill for an election. This might be an explanation.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

What happens if BoJo doesn't nominate one? I don't know, but there is some thought to say that it would mean no extension.

The unresolved mystery for me is why the Lords ended the filibuster, and why there was no bill for an election. This might be an explanation.

Doubt it.
    On 23 August 2019, the Council received a letter from the UK Permanent Representative
    to the European Union stating that:
    ‘As the United Kingdom will be leaving the European Union on 31 October 2019, the
    Prime Minister announced in the House of Commons on 25 July that we would not
    nominate a UK Commissioner for the new Commission, and that this was not intended to
    stop the EU appointing a new Commission.
    I am writing formally to confirm that, in accordance with the Prime Minister's statement,
    the United Kingdom will not be nominating a candidate for the 2019-2024 College of
    Commissioners’.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

Doubt it.
    On 23 August 2019, the Council received a letter from the UK Permanent Representative
    ‘As the United Kingdom will be leaving the European Union on 31 October 2019, the
    nominate a UK Commissioner for the new Commission, and that this was not intended to
    I am writing formally to confirm that, in accordance with the Prime Minister's statement,
    the United Kingdom will not be nominating a candidate for the 2019-2024 College of
    Commissioners’.

Which bit are you doubting? The UK hasn't nominated one (your quote). The EU needs one to legally function (tweet). Therefore any extension needs a commissioner.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

Doubt it.
    Commissioners’.

Which bit are you doubting? The UK hasn't nominated one (your quote). The EU needs one to legally function (tweet). Therefore any extension needs a commissioner.

I'm doubting that the EU needs one to legally function given https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/do ... NIT/en/pdf and https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... A12008M017
  • But she probably knows more than me so I should wind my head in
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

Doubt it.
    Commissioners’.

Nah, doesn't need one.
    What happens when one gets hammered the night before and can't get out of bed, do they all sit around?
  • More likely as we have said this isn't intended to stop the EU appointing a commission, Bercow will be appointed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

BoJo and the government legally needs to "seek" to avoid no deal, remember.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

By sending the letter appended to the bill. Not by doing anything else.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/b ... /18202.pdf
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

You seriously suggesting that he seeks a no-deal via a technicality?

I mean come on.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plot thickens.

Adam Fleming

So what?

I can't see anything in there that specifically supports this conspiracy theory.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Phrase being used is now "penny is dropping" in relation to UK looking at NI only backstop.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    rjsterry wrote:
    Phrase being used is now "penny is dropping" in relation to UK looking at NI only backstop.

What's the NI view on this? - I know what DUP think, but what about reasonable people?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    rjsterry wrote:
    NICK TIMOTHY GETS A TITLE.

F*CK OFF.

That is hilarious. :lol:

Less funny is convicted criminal Boycott getting a gong.

It was a French conviction so will no longer count after Brexit. One of the main reasons for leaving was so we could have our own laws remember.
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    So errr, Netherlands doing well out of Brexit

https://www.cityam.com/going-dutch-uk-i ... eferendum/
    UK investments in the Netherlands have jumped more than four-fold to €80bn (£72bn) since the Brexit referendum in 2016, the Dutch statistics office said today.

In the same period, Dutch investments in the UK fell from €50bn to negative €11bn as Brexit uncertainty led to capital outflows.

It seems to be the fashionable place to stick a couple of members of staff. No one seems to want to move to Dublin and no company likes French employment law. Whereas Amsterdam seems to appeal to employees and is still reasonably close.

Lithunania is probably doing well for other reasons.

English being widely spoken is no doubt a huge benefit too, their Universities have apparently benefited massively from the tuition fees in the UK as well.
  • rjsterry
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

F*CK OFF.

It was a French conviction so will no longer count after Brexit. One of the main reasons for leaving was so we could have our own laws remember.
    Were you unfortunate to catch him bullsh*ting his way through the interview this morning? He claimed that French law presumed guilt among other nonsense.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Mad_Malx wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

What's the NI view on this? - I know what DUP think, but what about reasonable people?

Majority in favour
    Business orgs in favour
    Majority of Nationalists in favour
    81% of Unionists against
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

F*CK OFF.

Were you unfortunate to catch him bullsh*ting his way through the interview this morning? He claimed that French law presumed guilt among other nonsense.

Fortunately not but I know he's always denied the allegations. I've had enough of his voice from listening to TMS, one for the Trivial Things That Intrigue You thread but I've never quite worked out how he has a batting average as you have to get out before you can have an average and I'm assuming he never did.
  • JPCampbellBiz
    @JP_Biz
    ·
    8m
    Lines from Phil Hogan's interview with
    @tconnellyRTE

▪️ 'Movement happening on both sides' of Brexit process
    ▪️ N-S institutions of GFA could be used to provide further oversight of how a NI-only backstop operated.

JPCampbellBiz
    @JP_Biz
    Replying to
    @JP_Biz
    and
    @tconnellyRTE
    ▪️ Constitutional issues that are already in the Withdrawal Agreement 'might have to be improved upon' if NI-only backstop is requested. WA would not be changed in 'a major way.' (This is some distance from the WA can't be touched).
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

F*CK OFF.

For a bit of balance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... -case.html
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2019
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

F*CK OFF.

For a bit of balance.

It's not balance. He was tried and found guilty. If the courts wanna overturn it then fine.

Come on Big Bean. Not everything has two sides.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Boris will spin TM's WA, with modified backstop, as having gained massive concessions.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

F*CK OFF.

For a bit of balance.

He may as well have been reading from that article in the interview.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• And in doing so all the no dealers who voted for hm and joined the conservative party and have flocked to it in the polls may leave. That boris bounce may just evaporate with the WA act 2 about to make a come back.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • And in doing so all the no dealers who voted for hm and joined the conservative party and have flocked to it in the polls may leave. That boris bounce may just evaporate with the WA act 2 about to make a come back.

Agreed. And then he has to start the hard work on the new end date of 31.12.2020.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Boris will spin TM's WA, with modified backstop, as having gained massive concessions.
    Like the massive concessions Cameron got before brexit.