BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,674
    I agree it could be either, but he has such form for deliberate lying that I tend to that assumption. As to what happens when he hits reality, I think the most likely is a replay of Halloween. He's a bottler when it comes down to it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • May's deal didn't deal with any of the problems with the UK/Ireland border, and tried to kick the problem down the road. Johnson's deal makes them real, but still opens up the possibility for them to be worse.

As there is no solution to the problem they are trying to solve, neither are a solution to it.
  • Is it that hard to concede that BoJo got a better deal than the previous ones? It has been approved by Trimble and retains a democratic ability to leave. That ability will influence discussions over what checks are required.

Genuine question - in what way is it better?

As I understand it the WA is a stepping stone. TM saw it as a step towards a deep and meaningful future relationship with the EU. Boris sees it as a step away.

As he has left NI behind and seems to want a Canada minus, minus deal I struggle to see what he has achieved.
  • rjsterry

Is it that hard to concede that BoJo got a better deal than the previous ones? It has been approved by Trimble and retains a democratic ability to leave. That ability will influence discussions over what checks are required.

As I understand it the WA is a stepping stone. TM saw it as a step towards a deep and meaningful future relationship with the EU. Boris sees it as a step away.

As he has left NI behind and seems to want a Canada minus, minus deal I struggle to see what he has achieved.
    Johnson wants it to appear to be a step away, as this gains him support from the Brexiters. He doesn't want to have to deal with all the messy consequences of diverging.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Has The Mirror/Labour today alienated the whole of the medical profession with their latest fakenews slur?

It's starting to look like it...

What are your sources for this? Someone's orchestrating a campaign across Twitter and Facebook, and I imagine NextDoor (Twitter for old people) as well. A lot of people seem to have a good friend who is a senior nursing sister at Leeds Hospital.

• rjsterry said:

Is it that hard to concede that BoJo got a better deal than the previous ones? It has been approved by Trimble and retains a democratic ability to leave. That ability will influence discussions over what checks are required.

Johnson wants it to appear to be a step away, as this gains him support from the Brexiters. He doesn't want to have to deal with all the messy consequences of diverging.
    I don't share your confidence that we are not on the road to divergence.

I imagine item one in the trade talks will be fishing rights - assuming that the EU will not blink and know they can shut down our industry by banning imports what do you think the UK's response will be?
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited December 2019

Has The Mirror/Labour today alienated the whole of the medical profession with their latest fakenews slur?

What are your sources for this? Someone's orchestrating a campaign across Twitter and Facebook, and I imagine NextDoor (Twitter for old people) as well. A lot of people seem to have a good friend who is a senior nursing sister at Leeds Hospital.

Let's look at the facts:

- Take a look at the photo. What is that bed to the right of the child with the horizontal wheels on it?
    - If your child was that seriously ill that they required oxygen to be administered would you as a parent let them lie on the floor and take photos? I certainly would not
    - Do you believe the medical profession would allow a 4 year old boy who is that ill that he requires an oxygen mask to be on the floor of a hospital? Personally, that is insulting to the professionals in the NHS.
    - Photo taken on 3rd Dec, boy released from hospital on 4th Dec, however picture published only on 9th Dec. Now mother does not want to have the photo circulated as it coming under scrutiny as a staged propaganda photo.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Jonathan Ashworth backpedalling furiously after being honest in private about Labours chances and about his Dear Leader: wonder how long he'll have a job?
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50726592
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

Has The Mirror/Labour today alienated the whole of the medical profession with their latest fakenews slur?

Let's look at the facts:

- Take a look at the photo. What is that bed to the right of the child with the horizontal wheels on it?
    - If your child was that seriously ill that they required oxygen administered would you as a parent let them lie on the floor and take photos? I certainly would not
    - Do you believe the medical profession would allow a 4 year old boy who is that ill that he requires an oxygen mask to be on the floor of a hospital? Personally, that is insulting to the professionals in the NHS.
    - Photo taken on 3rd Dec, boy released from hospital on 4th Dec, however picture published only on 9th Dec. Now mother does not want to have the photo circulated as it coming under scrutiny as a staged propaganda photo.
    You've obviously missed that the Chief Medical Officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust has confirmed that the event took place and that they have formally apologised to the family. Maybe that didn't come through on your FB feed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Trimble is a outlier in not only unionist opinion but in NI opinion generally.

The deal has gone done like a bucket of cold sick
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Let's look at the facts:

- If your child was that seriously ill that they required oxygen to be administered would you as a parent let them lie on the floor and take photos? I certainly would not
    You are manc333 AICMFP

• - If your child was that seriously ill that they required oxygen to be administered would you as a parent let them lie on the floor and take photos? I certainly would not

What's the alternative??? Take them home and hope for the best like a good anti vaxxer? Insist they stay on the bed and throw the child who had been triaged as an emergency on the floor?

You are claiming that you know for certain from that photo that the trolley/bed that you can see there is large enough/empty? You know that to such certainty that you know that when the chief medical officer at the hospital said "We are extremely sorry that there were only chairs available in the treatment room, and no bed.", they are lying?

So again, was your source more reliable than the local paper who got the story and verified it with the hospital? Or was it just some random?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    rjsterry said:

Let's look at the facts:

- If your child was that seriously ill that they required oxygen administered would you as a parent let them lie on the floor and take photos? I certainly would not
    You've obviously missed that the Chief Medical Officer at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust has confirmed that the event took place and that they have formally apologised to the family. Maybe that didn't come through on your FB feed.
    Good job we have such an accomplished sleuth in our midst, not only that but a true spokesperson for the medical community too! "Let's look at the facts", *clutches at straws*.

Amazing how you can be so self assured then instantly be proved wrong. Please reconsider all your other 'facts' before voting.

Also, what makes you think this would alienate medical professionals? They are crying out for a solution to this crisis, the more this sort of thing gets in the news the more support they get. Go into a hospital and ask the staff who they are voting for, I imagine you are a tad out of touch.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That's because the staff in Moscow hospitals vote for who they're told to ;)
  • rjsterry said:

Let's look at the facts:

I'm pulling apart the staged photo as it totally misrepresents the treatment the child received and the brilliant work of the NHS professionals in this story. I would be mighty miffed if I was an A+E nurse working at that hospital as it misrepresents the care they have provided.

While the hospital had no spare bed, they were moved to a treatment room where there were chairs while waiting for a ward bed to become free. The child had been triaged within 20 minutes of arriving at A+E. Both sides agree with this. It was the mother that put the child on the floor. It's the way the photo completely misrepresents the professionalism of the NHS. If he still required oxygen the child would have remained in a hospital bed and under medical supervision. This photo distorts the story and makes people believe that nurses and doctors of the NHS have placed a very ill child on the floor of a hospital without any care for the him.

The mother has obviously staged the photo as he is laying on the floor next to a hospital bed (there were no beds in the treatment room they were move to where he was on the floor but could easily have been in a chair or held by a parent). The reporting newspaper is saying the child was left sleeping on the floor because of the Tories. This again misrepresents what actually happened.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

Let's look at the facts:

You are manc333 AICMFP
    The mother is definitely an agent of the Kremlin attempting to influence the UK GE. I think we need POTUS to intervene as an impartial democratically elected leader of the free world.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • No one is disputing the job that the doctors and nurses are doing. There is concern that they don't have the tools for the job.

• rjsterry said:

Let's look at the facts:

I'm pulling apart the staged photo as it totally misrepresents the treatment the child received and the brilliant work of the NHS professionals in this story. I would be mighty miffed if I was an A+E nurse working at that hospital as it misrepresents the care they have provided.

While the hospital had no spare bed, they were moved to a treatment room where there were chairs while waiting for a ward bed to become free. The child had been triaged within 20 minutes of arriving at A+E. Both sides agree with this. It was the mother that put the child on the floor. It's the way the photo completely misrepresents the professionalism of the NHS. If he still required oxygen the child would have remained in a hospital bed and under medical supervision. This photo distorts the story and makes people believe that nurses and doctors of the NHS have placed a very ill child on the floor of a hospital without any care for the him.

The mother has obviously staged the photo as he is laying on the floor next to a hospital bed (there were no beds in the treatment room they were move to where he was on the floor but could easily have been in a chair or held by a parent). The reporting newspaper is saying the child was left sleeping on the floor because of the Tories. This again misrepresents what actually happened.
    So your only source is the photo? And you came up with the rest on your own?
  • rjsterry
    edited December 2019

rjsterry said:

Let's look at the facts:

And you missed the bit where the mother said she didn't have any issue with the treatment her child received. But do keep relaying the FB conspiracy theories. It's entertaining if nothing else.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Let's look at the facts:

And you missed the bit where the mother said she didn't have any issue with the treatment her child received. But do keep relaying the FB conspiracy theories. It's entertaining if nothing else.
    I read the mother was happy with the treatment her child received. So why the staged photo to misrepresent that treatment?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    BloJo says the 'naughtIest' thing he has ever done is.....to ride his bike on the pavement.

A. No. That is not simply not the naughtiest thing he has done.

B. He risks alienating the Gammons. A cyclist!? On the pavement!!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited December 2019
    https://theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/10/would-getting-brexit-done-bring-lots-of-new-investment

Would 'getting Brexit done' bring lots of new investment?
    Chancellor said end to uncertainty would ‘unleash a tidal wave’ of investments

Richard Partington

@RJPartington
    Tue 10 Dec 2019 14.39 GMTLast modified on Tue 10 Dec 2019 15.09 GMT

Claim
    The chancellor of the exchequer, Sajid Javid, said that flatlining economic growth in October showed that Britain must “get Brexit done with our deal” to give businesses and families certainty to spend.

He said that after parliament passed the prime minister’s deal this would “unleash a tidal wave of funds that are waiting to be invested in Britain once we end the uncertainty”.

Background

Gross domestic product (GDP), the broadest measure of economic activity, failed to grow in October from the previous month. It was also flat over a wider three-month period, according to the Office for National Statistics. The annual growth rate also slowed to 0.7%, the weakest since March 2012.

Javid said that Labour would hold two referendums next year to “keep the country stuck in neutral”.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said that a Conservative election victory would mean “five more years of economic failure and stagnation”.

Reality
    Much more than Brexit will dictate the future pace of economic growth, though the political impasse has had a significant impact.

Economists believe Brexit uncertainty has sapped business investment in particular. A slowdown in the global economy amid heightened trade tensions between the US and China has also had an impact.

The Bank of England said earlier this year that the economy was roughly £40bn a year smaller than it would have been under remain. In a nod to the Vote Leave battlebus, Gertjan Vlieghe, a member of the Bank’s rate-setting monetary policy committee, said: “If you prefer it in bus units, it’s £800m a week.”

The Conservatives claim that “getting Brexit done would unlock over £100bn of investment” in Britain, citing a Goldman Sachs research note as evidence.

Analysts at the US investment bank did say that progress towards a Brexit resolution could unlock about $150bn (£114bn) of capital inflows, in a research note published last month. However, they were referring to investments in stocks and bonds, rather than by businesses in the real economy.

They also went on to warn that parliament passing the withdrawal agreement would “leave some uncertainty on the table as this is only one stage in the Brexit process”.

Garry Young, a former Bank of England and Treasury official at the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR), said there were Brexit issues that still needed to be resolved. Boris Johnson has also left open the prospect of a no-deal Brexit at the end of next year, which could dampen investment intentions.

“While some uncertainty could be resolved by the outcome of the general election, it is doubtful that this will provide businesses with the clarity needed to invest with confidence,” Young said.

NIESR estimates that Johnson’s Brexit plan would leave the economy £70bn smaller after a decade, and that continued uncertainty would have a lesser impact.

According to the EY Item Club, a leading economic forecaster, UK growth in 2019 is expected to be 1.3%, the weakest performance since 2009.

Even if Johnson wins a majority and MPs approve his withdrawal agreement at the start of next year, it forecasts a further slowdown in growth to just 1% for 2020, the weakest rate in 11 years.

Verdict
    Javid is correct that the prime minister’s withdrawal agreement could provide some clarity for businesses to invest in Britain, which could benefit the economy. But he is wrong to suggest a “tidal wave” would be the result. Mainstream economists expect business investment and economic growth will continue at a trickle.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/11/boris-johnson-minder-drops-f-bomb-live-gmb-piers-morgan-asks-interview-11652933/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is what we've come to. The PM goes to deliver milk and the press officer is surprised that the media show up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,708
    Gonna win though innit because nobody cares about things like lying and cheating.

As long as they get their way they don’t care.
  • rjsterry
    edited December 2019
    They're not going to get their way. That's the worst of it: he's not even going to do right by those who want to Leave. He's promised what he can't deliver.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

They're not going to get their way. He's promised what he can't deliver.

In all likelihood he's getting a comfortable majority. He's managed a purge of the party so the more prominent sensible tories simply aren't going to be there. He'll be able to deliver some stuff.

Once again the 48% and the more (small c) conservative of the 52% have been let down by the debate around this election. Labour should have been stronger on Brexit this election. Their position is not that complicated, and they are against a PM who voted against the WA a number of times, then did some fiddling round the edges (or should that be borders) and suddenly claimed it was a much better deal.

• rjsterry
    Jeremy.89 said:

rjsterry said:

They're not going to get their way. He's promised what he can't deliver.

In all likelihood he's getting a comfortable majority. He's managed a purge of the party so the more prominent sensible tories simply aren't going to be there. He'll be able to deliver some stuff.

Once again the 48% and the more (small c) conservative of the 52% have been let down by the debate around this election. Labour should have been stronger on Brexit this election. Their position is not that complicated, and they are against a PM who voted against the WA a number of times, then did some fiddling round the edges (or should that be borders) and suddenly claimed it was a much better deal.

Getting parliament to pass the WAB is the easy bit. A majority will make little difference to negotiating a trade deal with the EU. Even Farage can see we are heading for the next crisis in just a few months time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Labour should have been stronger on everything. Their only strategy seems to be to keep saying the Tories will privatise the NHS (oh, and Nationalise oxygen etc.). A well organised main opposition party should have been making hay over the last couple of years and seem to have lost ground somehow.

Opposition politics always seems pretty simple at the best of times and no-one can suggest the last 3 years have been the best of times for the Tories in power!