BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    For which you can have an imaginary clap.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    Burgundy, cognac, epoisses, cassoulet, boeuf en daube, jurançon, roquefort, bouillabaisse, champagne, comte, tomme de savoie, tartiflette, lapin a la moutarde, jambon beurre, sauternes, calvados, moules frites, jambon persillade, rillettes, tartare, quenelles de brochet, croissants. Jeebus, I could go on. What have you got doggo? Pedigree chum?
    You forgot Bleu d'Auvergne.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:
    Burgundy, cognac, epoisses, cassoulet, boeuf en daube, jurançon, roquefort, bouillabaisse, champagne, comte, tomme de savoie, tartiflette, lapin a la moutarde, jambon beurre, sauternes, calvados, moules frites, jambon persillade, rillettes, tartare, quenelles de brochet, croissants. Jeebus, I could go on. What have you got doggo? Pedigree chum?

I forgot most of the cuisine.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Probably because you'd drunk too much Côtes du Rhône.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Probably because you'd drunk too much Côtes du Rhône.

:D

Not this evening. But I do like CdR.
  • Westminster Voting Intention

CON: 32% (=)
    LDM: 23% (+4)
    LAB: 21% (-2)
    BXP: 14% (=)
    GRN: 4% (-3)

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

That's a nice wee bounce.

Labour need to find a coherent policy at conference.

Boris has peaked - it's do or die for him now
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

"Peak tw@t"
  • The french are not miserable. Did paris best paris in August and I dont think there is a friendlier and more supportive nation than the French. Yes I am talking about about that same country full of arrogant snooty people. It turns out a nation can be many things. French was not part of nato in 1982 they are now. There foreign.policy has changed and so has the level of military co operation between our two countries. Countries that may not have had the best relationship at one point in time can change and grow closer. That has happened with britain and france
    It is shame your experiences in the Falklands war allesandog prevent you from appreciating that. Howeve war and the lives it costs make your position understandable. Those changes have happened though do your current characterisation of the french is unfair.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ah yes, I do remember Nato forces swinging into action during the Falklands war....
    Technically The Falklands episode wasn't a war, it was a conflict. That said, it wasn't as if we needed any NATO help to kick their ar$es.

errrr hmmm I understand the sentiment and our troops were significantly better trained and we kicked ass but your ability to do that depended on a supply chain which was significantly damaged by the lost of the Atlantic Conveyor. 3 commando brigade, of which I was a member, was particularly impacted by this and we lost significant ordinance, helicopters and fuel supplies.

The Atlantic Conveyor was sunk by two Exocet missiles supplied by our NATO partners France. France superficially supported the uk in stopping Argentina getting anymore Exocets but also had a government owned company in Argentina for the duration of the war and identified which launchers were operational and also fault identification, the Argies did the rest.

Despite 3 commando Brigade being the worlds best troops, we could have been undone by French support for Latin America. The French are the most ungrateful miserable race on earth and our partners in NATO.

I'd a mate, called himself Fishfish, who was in 3 Commando ISTR.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Today is 30 since BoJo had that press event with Mera.

Where’s the solution?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Where’s the solution?
    I thought that the fairly anonymous Finnish bloke who holds the rotating EU presidency set a new deadline just the other day?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Why, do you think they're on the cusp of something?
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Where’s the solution?
    I thought that the fairly anonymous Finnish bloke who holds the rotating EU presidency set a new deadline just the other day?

Annti Rinne(sp?) said 30 Sept is when homework must be handed in.

Polish chap, Sikorski, says keep back stop but give it a new name.

UK negotiators are apparently providing solutions in the form of 'non-papers', these they show to the other side but don't let them keep them in case they spill the beans.
  • robert88

You could have a cusp of a Tusk.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Where’s the solution?

Annti Rinne(sp?) said 30 Sept is when homework must be handed in.

Polish chap, Sikorski, says keep back stop but give it a new name.

UK negotiators are apparently providing solutions in the form of 'non-papers', these they show to the other side but don't let them keep them in case they spill the beans.

Plan seems to be to hold off putting anything forward until the absolute last minute presumably to minimise the chances of people realising that it is more or less the same thing they've voted against 3 times already. It's effectively the same tactics as May, but trying to make the threat of no deal more real.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Dont know. Probably not on the cusp. This may go to the wire unless other aspects of UK politics come into play.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Dont know. Probably not on the cusp. This may go to the wire unless other aspects of UK politics come into play.

Have to say you are showing a lot of blind faith as the current noises (UK cutting negotiating team by half, EU negotiators saying they're not hearing anything new, UK side confirming that), and past precedence suggests the polar opposite.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have to say you are showing a lot of blind faith as the current noises (UK cutting negotiating team by half, EU negotiators saying they're not hearing anything new, UK side confirming that), and past precedence suggests the polar opposite.
    Not really. It may go to the wire and no deal is reached even then. I reckon no deal is a 50/50. Pure speculation though.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Not really. It may go to the wire and no deal is reached even then. I reckon no deal is a 50/50. Pure speculation though.
    Either way it cuts the head off of the ERG and BP serpents. He can say "job done" quick GE then spend the next 20 years in protracted negotiations around the world. Or something like that.
  • rick_chasey
    Westminster Voting Intention

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Projected onto seats, Lib Dems get something like 23 seats, so it's not all that exciting.

(Saw this on twitter by someone who does it for a living)
  • rick_chasey

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Projected onto seats, Lib Dems get something like 23 seats, so it's not all that exciting.

Ok not quite right

YouGov - 2019-09-18
    Con: 32%
    LDem: 23%
    Lab: 21%
    BRX: 14%
    Grn: 4%
    SNP: 4%
    PC: 1%
    UKIP: 1%

Flavible Projection
    CON: 331 (+13)
    LAB: 155 (-107)
    LDEM: 88 (+76)
    SNP: 51 (+16)
    PC: 6 (+2)
    GRN: 1 (-)
    Changes w/ 2017
  • rjsterry
    Interesting that Nigel continues to be Mr F*** All.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

The lack of correlation between vote share and share of seats under FPTP really is stark. Is it simply that Lib Dems are often second choice whereas in Labour heartlands the Tories get nothing and vice versa?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

The lack of correlation between vote share and share of seats under FPTP really is stark. Is it simply that Lib Dems are often second choice whereas in Labour heartlands the Tories get nothing and vice versa?

Broadly speaking labour benefit most from current boundaries, followed by the Tories.

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Ok not quite right

YouGov - 2019-09-18

Flavible Projection
    Changes w/ 2017

So the Tories go down 10% of the vote and up 13 seats. That seems fair.

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Ok not quite right

YouGov - 2019-09-18

Flavible Projection
    Changes w/ 2017

I think there'll be huge surprises when in comes to % swings and seats won and lost.
    I'd take seat projections with bucketfuls of salt.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The Lib Dems have gotten kind of Taliban, haven’t they? They’ve said they’re just going to revoke, there’s not going to be another referendum.
    Tim Farron
    @timfarron
    Come on Emily, if we really were like a Middle East terrorist group, don’t you think Jeremy would’ve invited us to a conference fringe meeting before now?
  • Stevo_666
    The Lib Dems have gotten kind of Taliban, haven’t they? They’ve said they’re just going to revoke, there’s not going to be another referendum.
    Tim Farron
    @timfarron
    Come on Emily, if we really were like a Middle East terrorist group, don’t you think Jeremy would’ve invited us to a conference fringe meeting before now?
    :D

That was a good come back by Farron.
  • Stevo_666

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Ok not quite right

YouGov - 2019-09-18

Flavible Projection
    Changes w/ 2017
    No wonder Corbyn wimped out on a GE.
  • rjsterry

Via
    @YouGov
    Changes w/ 9-10 Sep.

Ok not quite right

YouGov - 2019-09-18

Flavible Projection
    Changes w/ 2017

I think there'll be huge surprises when in comes to % swings and seats won and lost.
    I'd take seat projections with bucketfuls of salt.

Of course. If Johnson fails to leave on 31st, I think 0 seats for Nigel is a bit optimistic.
    Pinnacle Monzonite