BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• First result in where Brexit plus Tories would have beaten labour. Sunderland south. Weird election.

How are you liking those lemons? :D:D:D
  • First result in where Brexit plus Tories would have beaten labour. Sunderland south. Weird election.

How are you liking those lemons? :D:D:D
    Going to enjoy them while they are tariff free.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Stevo_666 said:

Tories take the former mining town constituency of Blyth Valley in the North East. Blimey.

114 on their target list

There'll be no more margin of error talk

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Only positive is that a majority that large will allow a sensible deal.
  • tailwindhome

It could be dramatic night in NI.

Belfast North - DUP leader in Westminster Dodds fighting to keep his seat against Sinn Fein....too close to call

Belfast East - DUPs Emma Little-Pengelly looks set to lose to the SDLP s Claire Hanna.

Foyle. SDLP leader Colum Eastwood looking to regain the seat SF took for the 1st time in 2017. Too close to call

North Down. Independent Unionist Lady Sylvia Hermon retired. DUP came a close 2nd in 2017. They'll be pushed hard by the Alliance Party. Close but leaning to DUP.

It's been a vicious campaign.

It could have huge implications. Should the DUP lose North and South Belfast. Then 3 of 4 seats in Belfast will be held by Nationalists and Unionism will for the first time not hold a majority of the seats in NI.

Another round of talks to restart the assembly start on Monday.

No results from NI yet, but reports from count centres suggest the DUP are having a nightmare.

Alliance set to take North Down

Dodds to lose North Belfast

Penngelly to lose South Belfast

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    Looks like Sinn Fein have also done badly (despite the Dodds seat gain). Reasons being given are the current impasse in the NI assembly and the fact they don't take their seats in parliament. Voters keen on democractic representation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    Chuka put up a better fight than I expected, but still lost.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    Don Valley falls. Unbelievable.

Absolutely gutting result.

Do really feel for people who are at the bottom end struggling. Awful for them.
  • rick_chasey
    Am actually a little worried about what they’re gonna do with existing EU migrants given what Priti Patel has been saying.
  • Vote share has rocketed from 42% to 43%. Huge mandate.

Brexit party's 2% has replaced ukip's 2%.
  • rick_chasey
    So for all this “classic Cummings” chat, guess what, he’s been behind a campaign with serious efficiency in terms of vote distribution.
  • Chuka put up a better fight than I expected, but still lost.

Lost by 4,000 with labour taking 11,000.

Next door, Emma Dent Coad lost by 120, with lib Dems taking 9,000.

If only there had been some way of predicting this kind of thing could happen.
  • Wimbledon LD lose by 600 with Labour on 12,000.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    Tories gained more votes from labour types tactically voting for Brexit than the left ever did.

This win is so big it’s pointless blaming it on tactics. This is a very severe strategic defeat which usually takes over a decade to recover from.
  • Tories gained more votes from labour types tactically voting for Brexit than the left ever did.

This win is so big it’s pointless blaming it on tactics. This is a very severe strategic defeat which usually takes over a decade to recover from.

I'd still be interested in how many seats a similar thing happened in. Blyth valley was another.

The conservatives successfully ran on one issue, and will now take the result as a mandate to also implement voter ID.
  • tailwindhome
    NI has returned a majority of Nationalist MPs for the first time.
  • rick_chasey
    Presumably the SNP vote means Scotland ref is on the cards.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    What the election demonstrates is that Cakestop is its own little bubble that doesn't reflect wider public opinion. Well colour me shocked. Who knew?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532

Why? The Tories don't need to do a deal with the SNP so no reason to offer a referendum.

Can't help thinking there'll be a lot of voters up north who, once they've got Brexit, are going to realise they voted for a party with no interest in them.

I suppose at least parliament is now out of paralysis and can finally start doing what it's paid for.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492

Vote share has rocketed from 42% to 43%. Huge mandate.

It's all we need.

What a great morning B)

2 main messages from this election:
    1. We don't want leftiebollox
    2. Democratic results need to be respected.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

What the election demonstrates is that Cakestop is its own little bubble that doesn't reflect wider public opinion. Well colour me shocked. Who knew?

Nail. Head.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Pross said:

Can't help thinking there'll be a lot of voters up north who, once they've got Brexit, are going to realise they’re ruled by a party with no interest in them...

FTFY?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

I dont think Boris has any need to give Wee Jimmy Krankie another 'once in a generation' independence vote less than 5 years after the last one. Scotland is coming with us...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532
    One thing this has shown is the Labour safe seats get their results in early, it was neck and neck for the first few hours.

I was surprised that turnout was lower than 2017.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Vote share has rocketed from 42% to 43%. Huge mandate.

It's all we need.

What a great morning B)

2 main messages from this election:
    1. We don't want leftiebollox
    2. Democratic results need to be respected.

Clearly it's all you need, which is ridiculous.

Agree with both points there, just hope that the Brexit that comes is something like the one that the campaign promised. Not hopeful.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2019
    Pross said:

One thing this has shown is the Labour safe seats get their results in early, it was neck and neck for the first few hours.

I was surprised that turnout was lower than 2017.

In some of those Labour seats they used to just weigh the votes rather than count them.

Shocker of the morning is that my old home town constituency of Redcar now has a Tory MP. We'll have to rename it Bluecar.

Awesome :)

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Stevo_666 said:

I dont think Boris has any need to give Wee Jimmy Krankie another 'once in a generation' independence vote less than 5 years after the last one. Scotland is coming with us...
    I'd actually like to see a UK wide referendum on Scottish independence.
    The union is like an old stale marriage where one partner is the fit and healthy main bread winner and the other suffers from alcoholism and type 2 diabetes. I know what I'd do in that situation.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Boris to say no way to any further Scottish independence referendum.
    Wee Jimmy presses on regardless.
    We end up with a Catalonia style situation with all the SNP top brass locked up for sedition.
    Sturgeon and Salmond both behind bars for Christmas 2020 (obviously for different reasons)