BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Robert88 wrote:
    Firms in Northern Ireland will have to submit declaration forms for goods heading to the rest of the UK, under the government's deal.

Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay was forced to make the admission after initially denying it was the case.

This followed previous assurances that Northern Ireland-GB trade would be "unfettered".

Reported just a few minutes ago.

Does it inspire confidence in their ability to fix a deal by 31st? Seriously?

And your point is what exactly? more wet lefty demand everything must remain the same if things are to change.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    More common sense from Peter Foster. Next year is going to be fun*.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster/st ... 8091027456

*worse than the last 6 months. More impossible promises followed by being smacked around the face by reality.

I think they should sort the extension and cost now.
    That would be good but ain't going to happen as if people start asking questions about the WAB the fragile coalition within the Tory party will disintegrate.

Dammit, those dastardly MPs have spotted that the WAB doesn't actually tally with Johnson's claims.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Robert88 wrote:
    Firms in Northern Ireland will have to submit declaration forms for goods heading to the rest of the UK, under the government's deal.

Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay was forced to make the admission after initially denying it was the case.

This followed previous assurances that Northern Ireland-GB trade would be "unfettered".

And your point is what exactly? more wet lefty demand everything must remain the same if things are to change.

Never had the DUP down as wet lefties, but if you say so.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

*worse than the last 6 months. More impossible promises followed by being smacked around the face by reality.

That would be good but ain't going to happen as if people start asking questions about the WAB the fragile coalition within the Tory party will disintegrate.

Dammit, those dastardly MPs have spotted that the WAB doesn't actually tally with Johnson's claims.

He is renowned for his Trump-style lying.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

It's a matter of perspective.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

He is renowned for his Trump-style lying.

His whole MO is based on Trump. Trying to hold Government to ransom with threats is like Trump shutting down Government when he couldn't get his way with the wall.

Threatening to pull his own deal because those voting for it want a chance to fully debate it is pathetic, why is he so reluctant to subject it to due diligence? It's one of the most important pieces of legislation in years and worthy of full scrutiny.
  • Potential for amendments if he comes back with a one line election bill. Could open the way for voting age to be lowered according to Ken Clarke.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    I think this is the worst shape remain has been in since the ref.

Particularly given BoJo's polling, which is going from strength to strength.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942

Brexit weariness certainly helps the path of least resistance ie incumbents mantra of just get it done
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I think this is the worst shape remain has been in since the ref.

Brexit weariness certainly helps the path of least resistance ie incumbents mantra of just get it done

You can see why Boris wanted it to be nodded through, but the opposition has to take the opportunity to clarify what this deal actually means. And not just regarding NI and EU citizens because, frankly, the Tory calculation is that their target voters don't much care.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

What, you actually think we are going to leave now? What's persuaded you?

We will get the government we deserve now. Every part of the political spectrum now has its own protest-voted leader. Nicola Turgid, Captain Birdseye and now everyone's nightmare of a Head Boy at school come true. Of course its going to be catastrophic - its the political equivalent of alternative medicine.

Corbyn will be under 200 seats next time around but be re-elected as labour leader in an even bigger landslide, Boris will have a huge majority and run riot for 5-10 years to remind people what right wing really means. The SNP will take Scotland out of the UK and remind people just how poor the country actually is. We will have to make do with gravel roads and burning our own feces up here while they slash public services in order to get the deficit below Greece's and beg for entry into Europe before the value of the Scottish pound dips below the price of Nortel shares. Somehow that will still be Westminster's fault.

In the mean time, you in England will all be horribly constipated by imported American bread products, looking back wistfully at the days you could walk into a hospital without a credit card.

NI will thank their lucky stars that none of them can agree on anything well enough to vote themselves out of Europe.
  • rick_chasey

When you listen to what the swing MPs are saying (particularly in the context that it's materially worse than May's option but they are keener on it), and when you look at the polls.

I don't think anything is certain, but the probabilities for remain are the lowest they've been.
  • Boris is lieing again, saying that his Brexit deal has passed parliament but Labour have voted to delay it.

Just a ridiculous lie.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    It does look like we are moving closer to leaving with a deal. The length of extension that the EU put forward will be key as this will determine whether there is a GE before any deal (longer extension), or whether parliament is pressured into voting through the withdrawal agreement before a GE (shorter extension).

Wonder whether Corbyn will grow a pair and support a GE as he said he would if an extension is granted?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bianchimoon
    Boris is lieing again, saying that his Brexit deal has passed parliament but Labour have voted to delay it.

Just a ridiculous lie.
    yup, Michael hessletine on Sky news interview this morning said a similar thing in that people must get the truth out that it has been allowed to go to next stage, only so that it can be stripped down and amended.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wonder whether Corbyn will grow a pair and support a GE as he said he would if an extension is granted?

Have you seen the polls?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    [Corbynista] Yeah but what does YouGov say? [/Corbynista]
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49798197

At this point Stevo is indulging in delusions if he thinks there's any good reason for Corbyn to support an early election.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have you seen the polls?
    Yes, they do look rather good, don't they.

I was more interested to see whether 'Magic Grandpa' will stick to his word, which I doubt. But it will be good to get away from Brexit for a bit and do more fun stuff - like kicking leftie/centre leftie butt (electorally speaking of course) :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect

When you listen to what the swing MPs are saying (particularly in the context that it's materially worse than May's option but they are keener on it), and when you look at the polls.

I don't think anything is certain, but the probabilities for remain are the lowest they've been.
    Yeah, I wasn't actually expecting an answer Rick. The second that we started getting told that another referendum (i.e. the ultimate exercise of democracy") was anti-democratic, we were always going to leave. You even have staunch Remainers now saying we should respect the views of people who have already died or changed their minds, and ignore the views of a new generation of people whose lives will actually be ruined.

It all makes about as much sense to me as "God's will" - just keep on repeating it and sufficient numbers of weak minded electorate will believe it.

Coke is it. Coke is it. Coke is it. Coke at the olympics, TdF, the world cup. Coke is it.

Bingo - world's best selling drink, yet tastes like dettol.
  • bianchimoon
    Official Conservative ad says :"Boris's Brexit Deal has passed Parliament - but Labour have voted to delay it"
    I despair
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have you seen the polls?

I was more interested to see whether 'Magic Grandpa' will stick to his word, which I doubt. But it will be good to get away from Brexit for a bit and do more fun stuff - like kicking leftie/centre leftie butt (electorally speaking of course) :)

Before you get too excited remember how good May's polling looked when she called an election. He's a terrible leader but they are good at campaigning. More's the pity.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have you seen the polls?

Before you get too excited remember how good May's polling looked when she called an election. He's a terrible leader but they are good at campaigning. More's the pity.
    Another straw to be grasped at is the Lib Dem vote. Do we really think that will stay at 18%? It might depend on whether there is a second referendum still on the table, because support for that is their best bet. If that's already gone, we will get back a little closer to binary politics again. But it won't get Corbyn over the line.

Frankly we are all better of with a hung parliament, to stop any of the current crop of nutters achieving too much.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Have you seen the polls?

TBF it looks like they have the right people running his campaign, as much as it pains me to say so.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

It's a matter of perspective.

This was a good burn btw, I enjoyed that.
  • Frankly we are all better of with a hung parliament, to stop any of the current crop of nutters achieving too much.

We really are not!

A GE will demonstrate the anger and contempt the electorate has with the current parliament.

It is going to be fantastic watching parliament facing up to the realisation that they were way out of touch with the electorate. The same process that the Conservative Party has done since the EU elections
  • Stevo_666
    Frankly we are all better of with a hung parliament, to stop any of the current crop of nutters achieving too much.

We really are not!

A GE will demonstrate the anger and contempt the electorate has with the current parliament.

It is going to be fantastic watching parliament facing up to the realisation that they were way out of touch with the electorate. The same process that the Conservative Party has done since the EU elections
    Another benefit of Scottish independence (apart from not having to fund them any more) is that it will take 50-odd lefties out of the Westminister MP population. Bring on Indyref 2 ! :twisted:
  • Frankly we are all better of with a hung parliament, to stop any of the current crop of nutters achieving too much.

We really are not!

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/i ... -you-vote/

They are balanced and undecided which pretty much reflects the electorate.

I read an interesting article that said that Brexit did not only reveal deep divisions in society, but the act of choosing and voting created the tribes. Most people before the ref would not have considered themselves leavers or remainers. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10 ... 4X18804225
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Another benefit of Scottish independence (apart from not having to fund them any more) is that it will take 50-odd lefties out of the Westminister MP population. Bring on Indyref 2 ! :twisted:

Are you, by any chance, a totalitarian..?? You appear to want parliament populated by representatives of only one persuasion (ie yours)..
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We really are not!

You don't know your politics very well. The SNP used to be known as the "Tartan Tories". Their policies at the moment are cake and more cake, so they are everything to everyone. The reality, when you look closer, is that they aren't very good at funding public services and that the already awful economic model will require them to keep business taxation very low. So they aren't very left wing really. They are popularist - not the same thing.

You also shouldn't want Indyref2 for your own good. Scotland is actually marginally richer than the UK average, and accounts for around 10% of the economy. I think it would sting a bit.