BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,331
    Puts his DUP support at the lowest point surely?
    ...and he may need them again given a GE win requiring coalition.
    He might even have pi$$ed the Sinn Feiners at the same time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pinno said:

Puts his DUP support at the lowest point surely?
    ...and he may need them again given a GE win requiring coalition.
    He might even have pi$$ed the Sinn Feiners at the same time.

I would say that they, like the SNP, will be pretty happy with how it's all going.
  • https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2019/11/resilience-and-selection.html

If truth is the first casualty of war, social science is the first casualty of election campaigns. So it was with Sajid Javid’s speech yesterday. He claimed that Labour will tax everybody more, “saddle the next generation with debt”, “ruin your finances” and would be “letting prices run wild in the shops.”

All this is silly hyperbole.

I say so not just because, as Simon says. Labour’s spending plans are more sustainable than the Tories because it will not inflict a damaging Brexit upon the economy.

Instead, there are two other reasons why Javid is wrong.Javid

One is that developed economies are resilient. They just don’t tip swiftly from prosperity to ruin. For one thing, high debt (even if we get it) is no barrier (pdf) to decent economic growth. Also, as Eric Lonergan says, “inflation is truly dead, and policy makers don’t need to worry about it.” Governments and central banks have struggled to raise inflation despite trying. It would be odd if Mr McDonnell had powers unknown to the ECB or Bank of Japan. And we must remember the finding of John Landon-Lane and Peter Robertson, that government policies don’t usually change trend growth by very much – a result that is comforting as well as dispiriting.

Adam Smith was bang right. There is a great deal of ruin in a nation. Countries can cope with bad policies. Those on the right who say the UK (well, actually Britain) can survive leaving the EU therefore have a point. But you cannot easily claim that the economy is resilient to changes in trading rules but ultra-vulnerable to moderate differences in fiscal policy and taxes.

There is, however, another reason why economies aren’t ruined by bad policy. It’s that such policies don’t persist. They get reversed. Examples of this include Mitterrand’s “austerity turn” in 1983 and Syriza's acceptance of EU-imposed austerity in 2015. But we have also seen examples under the Tories. Thatcher abandoned M3 targets and fiscal austerity in the mid-80s: cyclically adjusted net borrowing rose from a small surplus in 1981-82 to 2.8% of GDP in 1983-84. And Major pulled the UK out of the ERM in 1992.

Liberal democratic capitalism, then, selects against bad policies. Ones which damage the economy egregiously get reversed. If Labour’s policies are as bad as Javid claims (arguendo!) the correct inference is not that Labour will ruin the nation, but that Mr McDonnell will disappoint his supporters as so many of his predecessors have done.
    so this whole hypothesis is based upon the assumption that inflation will not return to it's historical rates

Within reason. Japan hasn’t managed to do it. All the scaremongering about QE hasn’t resulted in it.

The guy’s a well respected economist. Knows more than we do.
    Japan is an exception that is providing the case study for everybody else.

Inflation is reckoned to have started by the influx of treasure from the new world, so making it roughly 500 years old. To announce it’s death after a mere decade of relatively benign inflation seems a touch optimistic.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Farage has bottled out of challenging the Tories. Hilariously he is citing Johnson's recent statement about not extending the transition and a Canada + deal as the reason for his bottling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,482
    rjsterry said:

Farage has bottled out of challenging the Tories. Hilariously he is citing Johnson's recent statement about not extending the transition and a Canada + deal as the reason for his bottling.

Whatever the reason, I suspect there is a lot of leftie teeth gnashing right now. Advantage Tories >:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • It's just acceptance of the obvious reality - they're basically the same party now. The takeover is complete.

They are currently still planning to run in Labour held Tory target seats, so it's not all gravy for Johnson. That is significant because it takes a lot less to cast a protest vote for Farage than for the Tories.

Farage is claiming to believe that the transition period won't be extended beyond December 2020. That has to be him being willfully gullible.
  • Stevo_666

It's just acceptance of the obvious reality - they're basically the same party now. The takeover is complete.

Sounds like you've swallowed the Labour line on this quite readily.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    So basically this being good or bad depends on if you think the tories were going to lose any of the 317 seats they already had...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666 said:

It's just acceptance of the obvious reality - they're basically the same party now. The takeover is complete.

Even a stopped clock etc.

Ken Clarke, Philip Hammond, Rory Stewart and Matthew Parris would probably agree to name a few.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    I make that every prominent Brexiteer has now turned their back on any commitments made to the Union or the DUP.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Whatever the reason, I suspect there is a lot of leftie teeth gnashing right now. Advantage Tories >:)
    Not a game changer, reports YouGov.

Baulked at losing that many deposits I suspect.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:

Even a stopped clock etc.

Ken Clarke, Philip Hammond, Rory Stewart and Matthew Parris would probably agree to name a few.
    Think it's a bit trite to say they have become the same thing. Undoubtedly the Conservatives have shifted their centre of gravity - to pretend otherwise is absurd - but they are a real party, unlike TBP, which is just an excuse to extract money from idiots.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I would be amazed if he ends up fighting more than 100 seats
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

I would be amazed if he ends up fighting more than 100 seats
    Captain Cave-in.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited November 2019
    Farage showing he fears a 2nd referendum. He says this is what must be avoided at all costs. Obviously he sees a considerable risk that it wouldn't go the way he wants if it happened. At odds with the presumptuous and repeated Brexit is what the people want rhetoric.
  • I'm not sure Farage had the votes and I think he knows it. None of the Brexit headbangers I know have even mentioned the Brexit party with regard to the election as a possible vote option, not one.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited November 2019

I'm not sure Farage had the votes and I think he knows it. None of the Brexit headbangers I know have even mentioned the Brexit party with regard to the election as a possible vote option, not one.

Oh he knew it through and through. He'd just tried some kind of trump-esque holding the cons to ransom, incredibly having the self-belief that it might work. Well, either that or he knew all along and just did it for the press attention.

The guy is calculating but he doesn't have the processing power, chuck in the weakness of being self-aggrandising and there you have it. Nigel Farage.

Any party claiming regularly to be the voice of the people is driven by fuckwittery.

Particularly when you're talking about Brexit where it is about as split as you can get across the vote, it doesn't even work as PR, preaching to the converted simply doesn't work.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,615
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2019/11/resilience-and-selection.html

If truth is the first casualty of war, social science is the first casualty of election campaigns. So it was with Sajid Javid’s speech yesterday. He claimed that Labour will tax everybody more, “saddle the next generation with debt”, “ruin your finances” and would be “letting prices run wild in the shops.”

I say so not just because, as Simon says. Labour’s spending plans are more sustainable than the Tories because it will not inflict a damaging Brexit upon the economy.

One is that developed economies are resilient. They just don’t tip swiftly from prosperity to ruin. For one thing, high debt (even if we get it) is no barrier (pdf) to decent economic growth. Also, as Eric Lonergan says, “inflation is truly dead, and policy makers don’t need to worry about it.” Governments and central banks have struggled to raise inflation despite trying. It would be odd if Mr McDonnell had powers unknown to the ECB or Bank of Japan. And we must remember the finding of John Landon-Lane and Peter Robertson, that government policies don’t usually change trend growth by very much – a result that is comforting as well as dispiriting.

Adam Smith was bang right. There is a great deal of ruin in a nation. Countries can cope with bad policies. Those on the right who say the UK (well, actually Britain) can survive leaving the EU therefore have a point. But you cannot easily claim that the economy is resilient to changes in trading rules but ultra-vulnerable to moderate differences in fiscal policy and taxes.

There is, however, another reason why economies aren’t ruined by bad policy. It’s that such policies don’t persist. They get reversed. Examples of this include Mitterrand’s “austerity turn” in 1983 and Syriza's acceptance of EU-imposed austerity in 2015. But we have also seen examples under the Tories. Thatcher abandoned M3 targets and fiscal austerity in the mid-80s: cyclically adjusted net borrowing rose from a small surplus in 1981-82 to 2.8% of GDP in 1983-84. And Major pulled the UK out of the ERM in 1992.

Liberal democratic capitalism, then, selects against bad policies. Ones which damage the economy egregiously get reversed. If Labour’s policies are as bad as Javid claims (arguendo!) the correct inference is not that Labour will ruin the nation, but that Mr McDonnell will disappoint his supporters as so many of his predecessors have done.
    so this whole hypothesis is based upon the assumption that inflation will not return to it's historical rates

Within reason. Japan hasn’t managed to do it. All the scaremongering about QE hasn’t resulted in it.

There are plenty of respected economists who disagree with his view. The EU also seems to disagree and they are usually right, aren't they?
    Not the ones I’ve come across tbf.

German policy is a political choice no one based on economics. Tonnes of studies into why that’s the case if you can be arsed to read them.
    Sorry, but it is so obvious to anyone with a knowledge and understanding of finance and economics that a country cannot just go on building up debt indefinitely that I'm really not sure what there is to debate or why you are in denial about it.
    And yet government spending has averaged about 40% of GDP while tax receipts average 35% of GDP for at least the last 50 years.
    You've just explained how we have got to where we are in terms of debt.

See Greece for an example of a country that went too far. And watch Italy for a country that is headed that way.
    I've found some more figures: make that 75 years. Seems pretty sustainable to me. Greece's receipts are similar to ours (as % of GDP) but their spending is 10-12% of GDP higher than ours. If Javid or McDonnell announced spending of an extra £700bn per year then we might be close to a Greek situation.

But they're not.
    I think you're being a bit optimistic. Our GDP is around £2 trillion so 10% of that is £200 billion. Which is less than the cost of the Labour nationalisation promise for starters. Latest estimates of Labour's total spending plans are up to £1.2 trillion extra over 5 years.

And then there's the assumption that borrowing rates will stay the same - whereas they are likely to rise if Labour gets in. And that our income will stay the same which its unlikely to with Labour's business unfriendly policies.

It is not a viable long term strategy.

Being Greece without the sunshine is not a good prospect - but if you really want it, vote Labour.
    Japan is more comparable to the U.K. than Greece - at least for now - for any number of reasons.

That’s deep into double annual GDP in debt and they can’t get inflation however much they try.

In so many ways the Western world has followed Japan in how its economies have behaved - just a decade later.

Dillow understands this better than most having been chief economist of a Japanese bank for 10 years
    I thought Japan’s central problem was demographic
    That is certainly a big issue for them as it will exacerbate their debt problem.

Western Europe has the same demographic problems, only roughly the same distance behind the curve as their economies are vs Japan.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2019/11/resilience-and-selection.html

There are plenty of respected economists who disagree with his view. The EU also seems to disagree and they are usually right, aren't they?

German policy is a political choice no one based on economics. Tonnes of studies into why that’s the case if you can be arsed to read them.
    Sorry, but it is so obvious to anyone with a knowledge and understanding of finance and economics that a country cannot just go on building up debt indefinitely that I'm really not sure what there is to debate or why you are in denial about it.
    And yet government spending has averaged about 40% of GDP while tax receipts average 35% of GDP for at least the last 50 years.

See Greece for an example of a country that went too far. And watch Italy for a country that is headed that way.
    I've found some more figures: make that 75 years. Seems pretty sustainable to me. Greece's receipts are similar to ours (as % of GDP) but their spending is 10-12% of GDP higher than ours. If Javid or McDonnell announced spending of an extra £700bn per year then we might be close to a Greek situation.

But they're not.
    I think you're being a bit optimistic. Our GDP is around £2 trillion so 10% of that is £200 billion. Which is less than the cost of the Labour nationalisation promise for starters. Latest estimates of Labour's total spending plans are up to £1.2 trillion extra over 5 years.

And then there's the assumption that borrowing rates will stay the same - whereas they are likely to rise if Labour gets in. And that our income will stay the same which its unlikely to with Labour's business unfriendly policies.

Being Greece without the sunshine is not a good prospect - but if you really want it, vote Labour.
    Japan is more comparable to the U.K. than Greece - at least for now - for any number of reasons.

That’s deep into double annual GDP in debt and they can’t get inflation however much they try.

In so many ways the Western world has followed Japan in how its economies have behaved - just a decade later.

Dillow understands this better than most having been chief economist of a Japanese bank for 10 years
    That is certainly a big issue for them as it will exacerbate their debt problem.

Western Europe has the same demographic problems, only roughly the same distance behind the curve as their economies are vs Japan.
    The difference is that Japan has an immigration problem
  • please take my survey
    thanks
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2GMP8KT
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    dannyd123 said:

please take my survey
    thanks

Review - Must improve sales pitch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dannyd123 said:

please take my survey
    thanks

Bugger off.
    If you want to know what people want for project at school you probably need to introduce yourself first.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,331
    Wait a minute... TBP is going to stand in Labour held constituencies... and in the process potentially take Tory votes?
    Very clever. Genius in fact.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But they're not.

At least we’re back on topic now
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Brexit Party apparently refusing to refund the costs of the candidates they dropped. Lies and broken promises costing people money, sounds standard for Farage to me.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But they're not.

At least we’re back on topic now
    Are we? I thought this was the Brexit thread.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Are we? I thought this was the Brexit thread.

Wasn't that what the Brexit vote was supposed to be all about?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2019
    pinno said:

Wait a minute... TBP is going to stand in Labour held constituencies... and in the process potentially take Tory votes?

pinno said:

It's mainly to hurt the Lib Dems.

Let's face it, Labour aren't very 'remainy' are they?

Ah glorious first past the post. None of this would matter if the system was such that you could confidently vote for the party that best matches your political views.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

pinno said:

pinno said:

It's mainly to hurt the Lib Dems.

Let's face it, Labour aren't very 'remainy' are they?

Ah glorious first past the post. None of this would matter if the system was such that you could confidently vote for the party that best matches your political views.
    Cons - Leave.
    TBP - Leave.
    Labour - Leave.
    Liberal - Remain.

Not sure how splitting a leave vote 3 ways will hurt the Liberals. More likely to help, assuming Brexit is the main decider.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.