BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I’m not saying there wasn’t a democratic mandate for Brexit at the time. I’m just saying if I narrowly decided to order fish at a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I’ve been waiting three hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish had quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it’s cooked or not, or indeed still alive, and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no-one was paying attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted the fish.

Not mine, not taking the credit.
    I saw that doing the rounds, did make me chuckle.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The phrase that springs to mind with Corbyn being appointed caretaker PM to stop a no deal Brexit is 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

Do you really believe that? I know Corbyn is crap but really all the caretaker govt would ever be able to do is stop us crashing out in October. Why would you think a largely powerless Corbyn without a mandate would be able to do more damage (ie out of the frying pan etc) than Messrs Cameron, May and Twat have already done?

This whole anti anything that involves Labour finding a solution is the same sort of attitude that explains the mess we are in - people choosing to value political partisanship as more important than the future of the country.

Fact - if Corbyn forming a caretaker govt stops Brexit in Oct then that will be a better outcome than anything involving Bojo. We are already in the fire; the worst outcome of any change to the status quo is us ending up in the frying pan.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The phrase that springs to mind with Corbyn being appointed caretaker PM to stop a no deal Brexit is 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

It everyone to whom that letter is addressed and all the Labour Party support Corbyn as PM - he's 2 short
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,526
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Do you really believe that?
    What do you think Rolf? :)
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13030866
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

It everyone to whom that letter is addressed and all the Labour Party support Corbyn as PM - he's 2 short
    I've always said lefties aren't very good at counting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    The bit about Labour committing to a public vote on the terms of leaving the EU including an option to remain - is that the first time he's said that with that level of commitment?
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

This is much more specific than that. You need to be able to adapt to the changing circumstances (see fish restaurant thing above).
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

This is much more specific than that. You need to be able to adapt to the changing circumstances (see fish restaurant thing above).
    That's what being in private enterprise is all about.

When I started that thread he was a hard core leftie who is a danger to the country when I started thread. As of today he is a hard core leftie who is a danger to the country. He hasn't changed so my tactics are still perfectly relevant :)
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That's what being in private enterprise is all about.

When I started that thread he was a hard core leftie who is a danger to the country when I started thread. As of today he is a hard core leftie who is a danger to the country. He hasn't changed so my tactics are still perfectly relevant :)

I think that back then he was regarded as theoretically capable of winning an election (not that I suspect many of us believed it) - that was before the two party system collapsed. What do you think he could actually do as a caretaker PM? You perhaps should favour that - he'd have his moment, screw it up and that would be the end of him. And you should be pleased with that. What you should want (what we should all want) is a good quality government and a good quality opposition such that everyone gets to have their go in charge and nobody screws anything up big time. Getting shot of Corbyn should do Labour the world of good. And that should force the Tories to find some non incompetent leaders as well. Everyone wins.
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    I think that back then he was regarded as theoretically capable of winning an election (not that I suspect many of us believed it) - that was before the two party system collapsed. What do you think he could actually do as a caretaker PM? You perhaps should favour that - he'd have his moment, screw it up and that would be the end of him. And you should be pleased with that. What you should want (what we should all want) is a good quality government and a good quality opposition such that everyone gets to have their go in charge and nobody screws anything up big time. Getting shot of Corbyn should do Labour the world of good. And that should force the Tories to find some non incompetent leaders as well. Everyone wins.
    Au contraire Rolf, we want him to stay as Labour leader as long as possible and keep them out of power. That's the whole point of my thread :D
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The bit about Labour committing to a public vote on the terms of leaving the EU including an option to remain - is that the first time he's said that with that level of commitment?
    It seems to be a firm commitment to a second vote in all circumstances which does seem to be a pretty significant shift.

Problem is Corbyn is (or is perceived to be) electoral poison so LDs are going to be very wary of doing anything with him because they don't want to get tarred with that brush and have the same problems they had after the coalition government (which they're only just recovering from).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    So no worse than Johnson, then? Seems to me it would get both of them out of the way in short order. Unless you think he'd actually win the subsequent GE?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The problem with corbyns plan is it is to extend A50 then go straight to an election with labour campaigning to offer a referendum.
    Really need to just go straight to a referendum after extending A50, get it out of the way.
    Then hold an election.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    So no worse than Johnson, then? Seems to me it would get both of them out of the way in short order. Unless you think he'd actually win the subsequent GE?
    For me, a lot worse.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

You'd go for no-deal Brexit with Johnson over a general election with Corbyn?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

Not sure we can avoid a GE one way or another. I think Corbyn's chances in that GE are marginally diminished by having been caretaker for a couple of months. Some 'neutral' figure would be great but doesn't look likely.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

I was asked this a while back and I would take a no deal Brexit over a Corbyn government. If thats what you mean. As a GE does not mean we avoid a no deal Brexit.
  • Corbyn's plan will not work as he does not have the numbers. There are too many independent MP's who do not want to vote themselves out or parliament and off the gravy train.

However, it is funny watching the losers clutch at any straw :lol:
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

I was asked this a while back and I would take a no deal Brexit over a Corbyn government. If thats what you mean. As a GE does not mean we avoid a no deal Brexit.

I'd say it's got a better chance of avoiding a no-deal Brexit than the alternative of going for a no-deal Brexit. And under Corbyn's "plan" it would only be a Corbyn government until he avoids a no-deal Brexit and calls a general election. If he doesn't call a general election, he would definitely lose a vote o no confidence.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

I'd say it's got a better chance of avoiding a no-deal Brexit than the alternative of going for a no-deal Brexit. And under Corbyn's "plan" it would only be a Corbyn government until he avoids a no-deal Brexit and calls a general election. If he doesn't call a general election, he would definitely lose a vote o no confidence.
    That's too bad as Swinson has alread said she won't back Corbyn as caretaker PM. So his plan is pretty much dead already. A bit like his ideology.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I’m not saying there wasn’t a democratic mandate for Brexit at the time. I’m just saying if I narrowly decided to order fish at a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I’ve been waiting three hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish had quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it’s cooked or not, or indeed still alive, and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no-one was paying attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted the fish.

Not mine, not taking the credit.
    I saw that doing the rounds, did make me chuckle.

no if you ordered fish 3 years ago your bloody well going to have fish even if it has to rammed down your throat with a broom stck.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

That's too bad as Swinson has alread said she won't back Corbyn as caretaker PM. So his plan is pretty much dead already. A bit like his ideology.

As I said we're screwed. Between johnson and Corbyn we have no hope of avoiding no deal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    For me, a lot worse.

As I said we're screwed. Between johnson and Corbyn and EU refusal to budge we have no hope of avoiding no deal.
    FTFY.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    The EU's refusal to budge on what precisely? Perhaps you could summarise in 3 or 4 bullet points what it is the dUK GINO has requested, consistently and without fudge hesitation repetition or deviation of course, that the EU have refused to budge on?

Does it involve fairies, unicorns and sunny uplands for example?
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    The EU's refusal to budge on what precisely? Perhaps you could summarise in 3 or 4 bullet points what it is the dUK GINO has requested, consistently and without fudge hesitation repetition or deviation of course, that the EU have refused to budge on?

Read back a few pages, CBA to repeat myself again :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791
    orraloon wrote:

They don't have to budge. They have already come to an agreement with the UK Government.
    So why is there a problem? Oh!....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

They don't have to budge. They have already come to an agreement with the UK Government.
    Which has been rejected 3 times by parliament. What can parliament now do in the absence of anything new to approve?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Which has been rejected 3 times by parliament. What can parliament now do in the absence of anything new to approve?

Come up with a plan beyond just saying rip up a key part of the agreement with nothing to replace it.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2019
    Jez mon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Come up with a plan beyond just saying rip up a key part of the agreement with nothing to replace it.
    And how would they negotiate that with another party that refuses any negotiation on any new plan?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Change their minds? Some already have.
    Pinnacle Monzonite