BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    My favourite bit of that is where he is unsure of how to spell Daniel Kahneman's surname, and manages to misspell "sp?"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,613
    rjsterry wrote:
    Damian Hinds accidentally posted a picture of his inbox from yesterday which show's an email titled "GE2019 team"
    EB2V9z9X4AAFQR_.jpg:large
    As if we needed that to be confirmed.

Johnson today filmed visiting a prison and a hospital. Could they be any less planning an election?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,554
    A good article on the problems of the backstop.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... op/595567/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    But no solutions.

I do find the argument that being part of a customs union but having no say is worthy of criticism as a a bit much, as that was a cornerstone of the referendum debate; “no say over the rules that we will be subjected to” and the public made their opinion on that matter known.

After all, the debate on both sides assumed continuing to be part of the single market. To the point where prominent Brexiters declared “we will not try to leave the single market”.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    “We want out of an undemocratic institution where we have no say. “
    “We want free trade. “
    By leaving we will have no say.
    Numpties.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Brexiteer says we didn’t need academics to win WW2

Says it all really. These guys are on the same mental plane as football hooligans.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    A good article on the problems of the backstop.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... op/595567/

All valid points but as the last paragraph points out, there are no problem-free options. It's more a question of which problems both sides are prepared to swallow.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Damian Hinds accidentally posted a picture of his inbox from yesterday which show's an email titled "GE2019 team"
    [/img]

I like how the visible content, in 18 words, completely fails to say anything at all.

Of course, that might be deliberate but then BoJo hasn't actually said anything meaningful as PM at all so far so it might just be endemic.

PS how do you "accidentally" post a picture of your inbox?

Screenshot shortcut which then opens up share to shortcut. Phone left unlocked in pocket. Easy enough to do.

But you still have to deliberately screenshot your inbox in the first place surely? And obviously no Govt minister etc would have a phone that doesn't lock quickly because that would be blatantly idiotic and a serious security risk and the IT bods will have made sure that all phones lock pretty quickly wouldn't they?

It's from an iPad. And yes, I would absolutely expect a government minister to have an iPad with a long delay set on the screen lock. They're busy people who don't have time to be entering passcodes every five minutes. Never put down to deviousness what can be explained by stupidity.

Lol at that. Maybe they need to be updated with the ones with thumb prints that have been out for what, 3 years or so?! Given that Boris can fritter £500 away on an idiotic countdown clock maybe someone can find some cash to upgrade Damiens....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    [/img]

I like how the visible content, in 18 words, completely fails to say anything at all.

Of course, that might be deliberate but then BoJo hasn't actually said anything meaningful as PM at all so far so it might just be endemic.

Screenshot shortcut which then opens up share to shortcut. Phone left unlocked in pocket. Easy enough to do.

But you still have to deliberately screenshot your inbox in the first place surely? And obviously no Govt minister etc would have a phone that doesn't lock quickly because that would be blatantly idiotic and a serious security risk and the IT bods will have made sure that all phones lock pretty quickly wouldn't they?

It's from an iPad. And yes, I would absolutely expect a government minister to have an iPad with a long delay set on the screen lock. They're busy people who don't have time to be entering passcodes every five minutes. Never put down to deviousness what can be explained by stupidity.

Lol at that. Maybe they need to be updated with the ones with thumb prints that have been out for what, 3 years or so?! Given that Boris can fritter £500 away on an idiotic countdown clock maybe someone can find some cash to upgrade Damiens....

Biometric ID has its security issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ence-firms

And you can't reset your thumb print.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Maybe you can’t reset your thumbprint but I can.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Robert88 wrote:

Says it all really. These guys are on the same mental plane as football hooligans.

How is a random tweet by a probably fictional account news?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    Just nonesense remainer stuff to make them feel better.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Twitter is full of rubbish like that. Independent just wants clicks.
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I was more annoyed by one of the first replies that claimed Turing shortened the war by 2 years and so totally ignoring the invention of the atomic bomb which means he shortened the war by about 3 months.
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    [/img]

Biometric ID has its security issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ence-firms

And you can't reset your thumb print.

I have for some time held that view and thought it a really stupid idea for that reason. Then Defra, in their wisdom (they have none), decided we'd have swanky posh crap iPhones and I find myself enjoying the convenience of the finger print thing. I hope, probably misguidedly, that that fingerprint goes nowhere. It doesn't need to be held anywhere except on the phone as it is just an alternative way of unlocking that specific phone and nothing more. No doubt this is naïve. I hate Apple and all the junk it produces.
  • rolf_f
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

I was more annoyed by one of the first replies that claimed Turing shortened the war by 2 years and so totally ignoring the invention of the atomic bomb which means he shortened the war by about 3 months.

I'm sure if you add up all the things that shortened the war by X amount you'd discover that it was actually shortened by 147 years in total.
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

mmmmmboth are debatable.
  • rjsterry
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Effectively two separate wars - hence VE and VJ day.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    rjsterry wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

On a personal note, I'm rather glad that VJ day came when it did as my old man had been drafted into the RAF in the latter stage of WW2 and according to him the word was that they may well have ended up fighting their way through the Japanese Islands if the US hadn't dropped the atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Which would have meant a fair probability that I wouldn't be sitting here writing this. Thank you Mr. Oppenheimer etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Without Turing's two years I am assuming that D-Day does not happen before August 1945 we have the option of dropping an atom bomb on Berlin.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Without Turing's two years I am assuming that D-Day does not happen before August 1945 we have the option of dropping an atom bomb on Berlin.

Like I said, it's (very) debatable.

Reductionist statements like this are inevitably more wrong than right for questions of this nature.
  • rick_chasey
    So there rumours on a November 1 call for a snap election are getting stronger - No.10 advisers having leave cancelled etc.

It would be properly bonkers to run an election whilst the problems of a no deal brexit unfold, so presumably the plan is still to turbocharge May's approach, which is to play chicken with the EU, get everyone to blame either the EU or parliament, take the extension to have an election and have BoJo play the "everyone's against me, I'm trying to get this done, give me the mandate to do so".

Does anyone have any better more rational suggestions for what the plan is?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ock-brexit

Seems to be playing out so far. Early days.
    There’s a terrible collaboration, as it were, going on between people who think they can block Brexit in parliament and our European friends,” he said.

“And our European friends are not moving in their willingness to compromise, they’re not compromising at all on the withdrawal agreement even though it’s been thrown out three times, they’re sticking to every letter, every comma of the withdrawal agreement - including the backstop - because they still think Brexit can be blocked in parliament.

“The awful thing is the longer that goes on, the more likely it is of course that we will be forced to leave with a no-deal Brexit.
  • rjsterry
    That quote from the "People's PMQs" is so obviously taken from Trump's tactics. Surprised he didn't add in a reference to fake news and a witch hunt
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    I still think the plan is to threaten an election at the same time as no deal in order to win the VONC, then either renegotiate the WA or leave with no deal, then have an election at an opportune moment afterwards.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I still think the plan is to threaten an election at the same time as no deal in order to win the VONC, then either renegotiate the WA or leave with no deal, then have an election at an opportune moment afterwards.

Quite possibly, but the Facebook stunt is a worrying precedent as it gives a veneer of accountability, avoids having to answer any difficult questions, and allows him to make ridiculous claims without being challenged.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,928
    Seems to be shifting narratives on whether or not we are prepared for no deal.

The people who said we were prepared and that those who said we weren't prepared were lying now seem to be saying we aren't properly prepared because of the people who said we weren't prepared.

I think
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Quite possibly, but the Facebook stunt is a worrying precedent as it gives a veneer of accountability, avoids having to answer any difficult questions, and allows him to make ridiculous claims without being challenged.

Given this is a cycling forum I feel obliged to point out Lance was a pioneer in using Social Meeedja to bypass journos and their difficult questions.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Given this is a cycling forum I feel obliged to point out Lance was a pioneer in using Social Meeedja to bypass journos and their difficult questions.

Surely Blair was the original question dodger. Announce policy on Richard and Judy etc.
  • rick_chasey
    Wouldn't really call R&J social media.
  • TheBigBean
    Wouldn't really call R&J social media.

No, it predated social media. The point is the same though. Appeal to millions without being asked any nasty questions.