RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited May 2015 in Pro race
Richie Porte leads out a Sky Squad with no brit;

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Which Brit do you think should be there?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    This has been mentioned in the pre race chat. Does it really merit it's own thread?
  • RideOnTime
    inseine wrote:
    This has been mentioned in the pre race chat. Does it really merit it's own thread?

possibly not but this is like saying... oh well... immigration policy was discussed last week in my local pub so no-one else ever dare to say anything about it ever again... as they will offend me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Yes isn't a discussion forum for discussing things, never got the forum ocd with keeping all discussions in one place.

Sky do still sell themselves as a British team, British Cycling were behind the set up and they still talk about signing the Yates brothers not just because they are good but because they are British. No other team was paying over the odds to tempt Wiggins from Garmin either, it wasn't because Sky liked his taste in clothes.

I guess the question is does it signal a shift away from that or is this a one off. It's the Giro, if it was the Tour I think we could say their days as a British team are gone but too early to draw conclusins basedon 3 weeks in Italy. Does it matter, yes I think so because undoubtedly they have helped open up pro road racing to British riders. Not at far back any discussion of the best ever Brits would have included the likes of Malcolm Elliott and with respect to him his pakmares would ot merit a mention in that discussion today - though his talent might I suppose.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    No respect.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    It's all very well but does Sky have the British riders available? Swift is injured and the classics guys must be knackered. Any anyway, isn't Sky Italia a contributor to the sponsorship budget. So quite right that they've got two Italians on the team.

I note that Katusha have fielded a fully Russian side with the exception of Il Gerva... though of course no one here cares...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Australia has the same Queen and the Union Flag on their flag so what's the problem?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    There's the equally important Tour of California too remember!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • above_the_cows
    NapoleonD wrote:

Apparently Danny DeVito's in the squad for that one.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    edited May 2015
    dp sorry
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    sky are a commercially backed cycle team that gets first dibs on uk talent not an off shoot arm of the UK military
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    And even the UK military has non-UK people in it.

People are never happy. Someone's in the team who is British but wasn't born in the UK and people get their panties in a twist. There isn't a British person in the team and...
  • inseine
    RideOnTime wrote:
    inseine wrote:

possibly not but this is like saying... oh well... immigration policy was discussed last week in my local pub so no-one else ever dare to say anything about it ever again... as they will offend me.

I meant merit in that is it really a big deal? I'd be happy if they fielded only British riders and were judged in that light, but they are a team competing on a world stage trying to be the best. It is impressive though that OGE can field so many Australians, though Bardiani are the only totally mononatioanlity team.
  • inseine
    NapoleonD wrote:

One Brit at California...........
    Ian Boswell, Philip Deignan, Nathan Earle, Sergio Henao, Pete Kennaugh, Christian Knees, Danny Pate and Xabier Zandio
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    NapoleonD wrote:

I thought Porte was doing the Giro?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I thought Porte was doing the Giro?

:D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think we can be interested in the significance of Sky possibly moving away from being a "British team" without taking a nationalistic view on it or even having a preference one way or the other.

On the question of is it a big deal, possibly in terms of GB riders making a career in the pro peloton, on a British based forum it seems odd to suggest that's not a topic for discussion.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    Still no one has suggested which british rider has been, fairly or unfairly, left out of the Squad?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    ddraver wrote:
    Still no one has suggested which british rider has been, fairly or unfairly, left out of the Squad?
    Ben Swift perhaps? I don't think he was scheduled to ride it before his Yorkshire crash. And it's the GT that suits his talents best, even with Viviani in the team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    He's broken isnt he? He would ve been my only choice too
    - @ddraver
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Aaah! It's the Comienzo Del Verano in Woolsthorpe too.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Won't be many Brits representing Scotland after 10pm...
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RideOnTime
    Macaloon wrote:

why's that then... you mean after the news tonight
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    to be fair to them a good chunk will probably be riding the tour... froome, thomas, stannard, kennaugh. who does that leave other than swift and rowe?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

why's that then... you mean after the news tonight

Midnight's bairns in the new Republic of Sturgistan.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    How many hours before this thread gets more posts than a thread of the best stage race of the year as far as the fans and the racing is concerned. Telling.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    Macaloon wrote:

There'll be 59. Same as before 10pm.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    How many hours before this thread gets more posts than a thread of the best stage race of the year as far as the fans and the racing is concerned. Telling.

Depends on how many posts you plan on making on it...
  • ddraver

Again, can you tell us who these fans are?

Given that in Belgium & Holland it would have to beat the RVV Thread, for me and Pross probably the P-R Thread, French people the future Tour thread, Spanish people the future Vuelta Thread...I don't see what you mean.
    - @ddraver