Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

my bike

scarthie99scarthie99 Posts: 209
edited May 2015 in Road beginners
[url][/url]9sgze0.jpg

here my bike i am 5.6 my leg inseam 29inch leg my bike a 54 a m.have i got the wrong size bike the stem on the bike was 110 i change to 80 mm stem.any info please can make any changes to suit my.if not may have to sell it to get the right size cheers :D

Posts

  • Omar LittleOmar Little Posts: 2,040
    It does sound like it is a bit big however the key question is how do you feel riding it? are you comfortable?
  • paul2718paul2718 Posts: 471
    If that's the setup that you need to begin to feel comfortable then you have the wrong bike. I suspect both size and more pertinently style.

    The Addict is a long, low racy frame. If you have to set it up as pictured then I think it and you will never really be happy, or comfortable. Get it right and it's as good a frame as any.

    Paul
  • mugensimugensi Posts: 558
    It does actually look to big for you, the saddle is lower than the handlebars so that your sitting up 'begging style' however if your comfortable on the bike and can do longer distances without discomfort or pain then I guess leave it be but I suspect the sit up and beg position would get very tiring after an hour or so in the saddle.
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    I'm just over 5'11" and ride that bike in a 54. Too big for you.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    Grill wrote:
    I'm just over 5'11" and ride that bike in a 54. Too big for you.

    I'm a tad shorter than Grill at 5' 8.5" and typically ride a "54" but the critical frame measurement is effective top tube length. My Rourke is 73.5 degree seat tube angle and 54.5cm eTT and have a 110mm stem. The frame I bought off Grill is 74.5 seat tube angle and 53.5cm eTT which amounts to the same thing (1 degree difference in seat tube angle = 1cm change in eTT length). I may need a 100mm stem with this due to the more agressive frame geometry/short head tube.

    At 5'6" you're going to need a shorter top tube than me by about 2.5cm I reckon, the Scott R2 medium is 550mm eTT so even going down one size might result in a bit of a stretch. Small is 535 and XS is 520.

    Definately too big for you, hope the above helps.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cyberknightcyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Im 5 foot 7 " , 30.5 " inside leg and my 54 needs an 80 stem .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    Im 5 foot 7 " , 30.5 " inside leg and my 54 needs an 80 stem .

    You're on the margins or needing the smaller frame. The issue though with moving to a smaller frame is that you get a shorter headtube so a bigger drop from saddle to bars, so if you like a more upright position the larger frame may well be a better compromise.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cyberknightcyberknight Posts: 1,238
    drlodge wrote:
    Im 5 foot 7 " , 30.5 " inside leg and my 54 needs an 80 stem .

    You're on the margins or needing the smaller frame. The issue though with moving to a smaller frame is that you get a shorter headtube so a bigger drop from saddle to bars, so if you like a more upright position the larger frame may well be a better compromise.
    Indeed , this bike is the commuter built up on a second hand frame.My other bike is th next size down with a 100 mm stem.
    Both bikes have the same cockpit measurements .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,003
    scarthie99 wrote:
    [url][/url]9sgze0.jpg

    here my bike i am 5.6 my leg inseam 29inch leg my bike a 54 a m.have i got the wrong size bike the stem on the bike was 110 i change to 80 mm stem.any info please can make any changes to suit my.if not may have to sell it to get the right size cheers :D

    Opinions are worthless unless we see a pic of you on it. Although on the face of it, it does look like you'd be better off on a hybrid.
  • scarthie99scarthie99 Posts: 209
    i will put on gum tree or ebay try sell it :evil:
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    scarthie99 wrote:
    [url][/url]9sgze0.jpg

    here my bike i am 5.6 my leg inseam 29inch leg my bike a 54 a m.

    Way, way too big a bike for you. I'm a little shorter than you at 5'4'', but with a 29.5'' inside leg I ride a 48cm Cayo and a 49cm Foil with 90mm stems. You must be like a monkey up a pole on a 54cm frame.
  • ForumNewbieForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi scarthie99, you could possibly move the saddle forward a bit which might help. I'm 5'8" with 29in inside leg and a short reach. My Cube Agree carbon bike is 56cm and fits me fine as the Cube sizing is different - the Cube 56 is equivalent to 54 in other brands, so probably the same size as yours.

    I also have a steel audax bike that is a 57cm - it was too big for me at the start, but with seat moved forward and a short upright stem it is now really comfortable to ride. I've had the bike over 8 years now and I still like riding it. Okay it's a bit sit-up and beg, but that doesn't bother me as I'm not too concerned about average speed.

    If you like the bike, I would try and adapt it to your needs rather than rush to sell it.
  • NeXXusNeXXus Posts: 854
    Hi scarthie99, you could possibly move the saddle forward a bit which might help. I'm 5'8" with 29in inside leg and a short reach. My Cube Agree carbon bike is 56cm and fits me fine as the Cube sizing is different - the Cube 56 is equivalent to 54 in other brands, so probably the same size as yours.

    I also have a steel audax bike that is a 57cm - it was too big for me at the start, but with seat moved forward and a short upright stem it is now really comfortable to ride. I've had the bike over 8 years now and I still like riding it. Okay it's a bit sit-up and beg, but that doesn't bother me as I'm not too concerned about average speed.

    If you like the bike, I would try and adapt it to your needs rather than rush to sell it.
    The saddle should be set in relation to correct knee position and not to correct reach.. That bike is too big
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,549
    drlodge wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I'm just over 5'11" and ride that bike in a 54. Too big for you.

    I'm a tad shorter than Grill at 5' 8.5" and typically ride a "54" but the critical frame measurement is effective top tube length. My Rourke is 73.5 degree seat tube angle and 54.5cm eTT and have a 110mm stem. The frame I bought off Grill is 74.5 seat tube angle and 53.5cm eTT which amounts to the same thing (1 degree difference in seat tube angle = 1cm change in eTT length). I may need a 100mm stem with this due to the more agressive frame geometry/short head tube.

    You are, in fact, me :lol: Do you use 170mm cranks by any chance?

    PS: OP - that bike's too big, I'd ride a 54 and I'm the same size as @drlodge

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • scarthie99scarthie99 Posts: 209
    secretsam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I'm just over 5'11" and ride that bike in a 54. Too big for you.

    I'm a tad shorter than Grill at 5' 8.5" and typically ride a "54" but the critical frame measurement is effective top tube length. My Rourke is 73.5 degree seat tube angle and 54.5cm eTT and have a 110mm stem. The frame I bought off Grill is 74.5 seat tube angle and 53.5cm eTT which amounts to the same thing (1 degree difference in seat tube angle = 1cm change in eTT length). I may need a 100mm stem with this due to the more agressive frame geometry/short head tube.

    You are, in fact, me :lol: Do you use 170mm cranks by any chance?

    PS: OP - that bike's too big, I'd ride a 54 and I'm the same size as @drlodge
    no the cranks are 172.5mm long
  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,549
    scarthie99 wrote:
    secretsam wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    I'm just over 5'11" and ride that bike in a 54. Too big for you.

    I'm a tad shorter than Grill at 5' 8.5" and typically ride a "54" but the critical frame measurement is effective top tube length. My Rourke is 73.5 degree seat tube angle and 54.5cm eTT and have a 110mm stem. The frame I bought off Grill is 74.5 seat tube angle and 53.5cm eTT which amounts to the same thing (1 degree difference in seat tube angle = 1cm change in eTT length). I may need a 100mm stem with this due to the more agressive frame geometry/short head tube.

    You are, in fact, me :lol: Do you use 170mm cranks by any chance?

    PS: OP - that bike's too big, I'd ride a 54 and I'm the same size as @drlodge
    no the cranks are 172.5mm long

    LOL I meant I was the same size as @drlodge! I only wish I was 5'11" (but the same weight as now :twisted: )

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
Sign In or Register to comment.