Wiggins on desert island discs

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited May 2015 in Pro race
Sunday at 11.16. You never know he might say something interesting. He can be a entertaining when he's in the mood

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    'I couldn't have won the Tour without the selfless support of my team, and in particular Christopher Froome. Something Sean Yates screamed over the radio on the climb to La Toussuire made me chuckle, and put me in mind of this track. I'd like to dedicate it to all the lads. And Chris.'
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Or Oasis
    Hey Chris 'don't look back in anger', you should 'stand by me'. Chris....'whatever'
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Will try and listen in.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I thought this was going to be a thread on his wheel choice for the hour
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Desert Island Discs Pundit:

The Who
    Paul Weller
    The Jam
    Oasis
    The Specials
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Stone Roses
    The Smiths

(it's eight records. right?)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    Desert Island Discs Pundit:

The Who
    Paul Weller
    The Jam
    Oasis
    The Specials
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Stone Roses
    The Smiths

(it's eight records. right?)

You seem to have listed 8 bands, rather than 8 records. That's the DIDP equivalent of picking 9 teams for you My Man squad.

Shocking lack of Northern Soul on it for a mod that lives near Wigan...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    You seem to have listed 8 bands, rather than 8 records. That's the DIDP equivalent of picking 9 teams for you My Man squad.

You vastly overestimate my musical knowledge. I mean, I've heard of Northern Soul, but I couldn't name any of its key figures or records.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The Trend set by FF.
    This is a Pundit's (RichN95) List
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Macaloon
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    Is Wiggo still claiming to be a mod?

Surely he'll be choosing some Alt-J, Decemberists or Arcade Fire to suit his new hipster image?

Is expect maybe Wade In The Water by Marlena Shaw as a Northern Soul track. And something from The Moons or The Rifles.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Is Wiggo still claiming to be a mod?

Surely he'll be choosing some Alt-J, Decemberists or Arcade Fire to suit his new hipster image?

Is expect maybe Wade In The Water by Marlena Shaw as a Northern Soul track. And something from The Moons or The Rifles.
    To be fair, mods were originally never defined by any particular musical genre, they were just "modern" and cool. The whole idea of a nostalgic mod culture is slightly surreal and misses the point, though that seems to be the universally accepted definition now.

So that said, my mod desert island list would look something like this:

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
    The Small faces - Afterglow
    Ray Charles - tell me what I say
    The Jam - Going. Underground
    Spencer Davis - Keep on Running
    The Who - The Seeker

To ensure we've got proper authentic nostalgic moddism we need some modern jazz:
    Thelonius Monk - Blue Monk
    Miles Davis - kind of Blue

And to pick a random northern Soul track, Frankie Beverley - If that's what you wanted.

Still a bit heavy on the sixties rock for my tastes, but all those bands need to be there. And The jam have to be there for leading the mod revival.

PS - stuff oasis.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    He's gone for the Kittel look...

p02qvxmr.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    ddraver wrote:

p02qvxmr.jpg

In a bathrobe?
  • RichN95.
    He looks like he's going to a fancy dress party as Obi Wan Kenobi
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    To be fair, mods were originally never defined by any particular musical genre, they were just "modern" and cool.

Well I didn't want to say anything, but thanks.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:

p02qvxmr.jpg

crosswind from the left...echelons!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    To be fair, mods were originally never defined by any particular musical genre, they were just "modern" and cool.

Well I didn't want to say anything, but thanks.

No problem, though I've emphasized part of the sentence you may wish to re read.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    To be fair, mods were originally never defined by any particular musical genre, they were just "modern" and cool. The whole idea of a nostalgic mod culture is slightly surreal and misses the point, though that seems to be the universally accepted definition now.

Clean living under harsh circumstances iirc...

Ie dressed well and having a good fun life, not kicking around with pineapples on your head and ejaculating at the sight of a RAF Roundel. But I digress.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Macaloon
    That high-pitching keening over The Archers omnibus is ole whining rims, warming up for his bid to become the nation's next Noel (Edmonds) at 11:15.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Came across well I thought.

Surprising Chas n Dave moment thrown in there too.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Proper family man who loves his Mum. As ever, jokey and fun to listen to. Smiths and Bolan good; Bowie yawn? Not a reader. The answer I half expected to the Bible, Shakespeare plus one question was "no thanks, when those run out I'll use leaves." Interesting stuff to say about shyness and being an outsider, and going out in lycra as a kid in Kilburn, confirming that cycling is a sport for sociable loners. Disarmingly candid about his Dad (we may have heard this before, but typical Radio 4 listeners won't have). The only thing missing was his famed impressions, guess you'd have to get him to your club dinner to hear those.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Casually dropped in: some of those now "banging the anti-doping drum" used to buy amphetamines off of Gary Wiggins, according to Bradley's mum…

Stone Roses, the Smiths, Ian Dury, the Stones and Chas and Dave… pretty damn fine selection in my eyes.
    In another life, with his well known tastes and tendencies - and if he'd had a more normal job - I wonder if he'd have got into the rave/club scene a bit more? It's unusual for someone of his age with a list like that to not include at least one piece of electronica in there...
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    edited May 2015
    mm1 wrote:
    The only thing missing was his famed impressions, guess you'd have to get him to your club dinner to hear those.

there was a brief glimpse of Paul Weller ("I met 'im in me tailor's the other day")...
  • frenchfighter
    It's a good listen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's a good listen.

Quoted in case the real FF comes back along and deletes that!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I wonder if he'd have got into the rave/club scene a bit more? It's unusual for someone of his age with a list like that to not include at least one piece of electronica in there...

Well, he does have a Prodigy tattoo....

tumblr_m6ybkn9qJy1qguyo7o1_500.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    When all the fuss has died down after his final gold in Rio - I'm seeing him become for Chas and Dave what Bez was for The Happy Mondays...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Can't believe there was nothing by The Who in there.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    cc78 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    The only thing missing was his famed impressions, guess you'd have to get him to your club dinner to hear those.

there was a brief glimpse of Paul Weller ("I met 'im in me tailor's the other day")...

Failed to spot that he was doing Weller. The Woking Wonder and Brad's Nan persuading him to take the gong, great stuff! Weller right that honours are different when it comes to sportsmen. As a retired Civil Servant the only people with honours I've actually met have been ar*eholes.