Recommissioning my bike - weird tyre noise

LittleSkink
LittleSkink Posts: 31
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
After a few years off I have been getting my bikes back on the road (or should that be mud)

One of them has a pair of new (about 10 years ago) folding bead Continental Traction Pro with orange and black tread rubber - probably a bit retro these days! They cost the best part of £100, have almost no use and look so cool - so I am loathed to bin them

The tyres lost all air in storage and the black sidewall rubber has creased (and peeled a little in places)

So I put 45psi in the them to see if they went pop. . . . no worries, so I went for a ride and gave them a hard time on rocks and roots - they seemed fine. The carcase looks fine but some sidewall rubber has come off

But - the rear one makes a strange "squelching" noise as it rotates

Any thoughts?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2015
    Maybe the bead slipping slightly on the rim, or maybe some condensation somewhere? (thinking between tyre and tube so a 'lump' as the wheel rotates, if they deflate completely, it wouldn't be a surprise).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe a kitten crawled in there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    rubber perishes with age - about 7 or 8 years.

car/motorbike tyres have a shelf life of 5 years
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thats very much storage dependant, space savers spare wheels for example experience no UV light and last a lot longer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.