Tour de Romandie 2015 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Am I right in saying this would be the first win for Pinot since his Tour stage?

(assuming he wins, natch)
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Few hundred m left, he should get it now... haven't seen chasers for a while... Bardet leads them all in, no gaps.
  • The_Boy
    My MAAAAN!!!
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • adr82
    Nibali and Uran lost 33" on Quintana and Froome... Zakarin apparently now the GC leader by 6" from Pinot, 14" (I think) from Froome...

Edit:
    OAHpQCp.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Damn, doorbell went so missed the finale.

Excellent work from Pinot, well done!

Super from Froome who clearly wasn't on the best of days. Total pain cave finder though.

Quintana should have at least tried to distance him. He is behind to begin and tomorrow he is going to lose more time. Oh well, I guess he doesn't race to win all the time.

Nibali, just straight fail.

Yates, such a solid rider. Amazing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Nibali, just straight fail.

He's doing exactly the same as last year. Which is show absolutely nothing until the Tour.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    Froome has lead the chase for about 2km now. He needs to take it easy. Pinot is no real threat in a TT.

Pinot is a far better TT rider than he's ever given credit for. He regularly finishes in the top ten in TTs at WT level.

That said, I don't think he'll beat Froome tomorrow, but I think Froome realised today that he couldn't give Pinot too much leeway.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    My Man Pinot Grigio!

:D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    My Man Pinot Grigio!

:D

Mijn ook!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Alaphilippe DNF

Gesink 11th +1.07

Last group came in 22mins down

Proper stage that was

CEA8kt-WoAEGuyB.jpg:large

Got to give a lot of respect to Froome. One thing you can say about him is that the rides like a Champion, capital C. For whatever reason his legs are not there, but does he sit up and roll in? No. He hangs on and rides the pain cave curve. The pace ups and then yo-yos, does he then take the chance to step off the gas? No. He moves up to the front and starts riding to bring the leaders back. He is on the front since 5km out and at 2km out he is still on the front. During this time, does he stop riding or ask for help? No. He reaches into his reserves and rides the wave of pain right until the end when those wheel suckers drop him in the final metres so that the results look like this:
    1 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 4:38:54
    2 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Team Katusha 0:00:07
    3 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:00:20
    4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
    5 Simon Spilak (Slo) Team Katusha
    6 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo
    7 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
    8 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:53
    Does it matter? No. Why? He has just ridden himself to a strong chance of a win.

Respect.

He is also supporting Manny which is a good thing :D
    @chrisfroome · 3h 3 hours ago
    Don't know if I'll wake up in time to watch #MayPac, I need my sleep after today. Supporting @MannyPacquiao #TeamManny
    Contador is the Greatest
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    ^^^^Absolutely, I said something similar to my mate earlier. You'll never see him sitting at the back, rolling in 15 minutes down because he's not in the mood. You get 100% from him every time.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Lacks some self belief - this can only help - Bardet and him seem to be a good carrot and stick for each other

5-2-Pinot-Wins-663x440.jpg
  • The_Boy

Got to give a lot of respect to Froome. One thing you can say about him is that the rides like a Champion, capital C. For whatever reason his legs are not there, but does he sit up and roll in? No. He hangs on and rides the pain cave curve. The pace ups and then yo-yos, does he then take the chance to step off the gas? No. He moves up to the front and starts riding to bring the leaders back. He is on the front since 5km out and at 2km out he is still on the front. During this time, does he stop riding or ask for help? No. He reaches into his reserves and rides the wave of pain right until the end

Suitcase of courage, if you please.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    The_Boy wrote:

Got to give a lot of respect to Froome. One thing you can say about him is that the rides like a Champion, capital C. For whatever reason his legs are not there, but does he sit up and roll in? No. He hangs on and rides the pain cave curve. The pace ups and then yo-yos, does he then take the chance to step off the gas? No. He moves up to the front and starts riding to bring the leaders back. He is on the front since 5km out and at 2km out he is still on the front. During this time, does he stop riding or ask for help? No. He reaches into his reserves and rides the wave of pain right until the end

Suitcase of courage, if you please.

and carries on with his job of work
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah Pinot and Bardet continue to impress and will light up the Tour. Uran off the pace is no good given he is doing the Grio. Pretty light on GC riders there tho - Contador's only real challenger is Porte and Henao if he is allowed to ride. TdF is going to be very busy and tough when it comes to the GC.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Final TT stage underway and here's the startlist ...

http://www.tourderomandie.ch/etapes/etape06/depart.pdf
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    When did Kennaugh abandon and why? Looking how far back most of the Sky team are Froome must have been riding alone quite a lot throughout the race even allowing for the fact they'll sit up after riding themselves into the ground.
  • The_Boy
    Pross wrote:
    When did Kennaugh abandon and why? Looking how far back most of the Sky team are Froome must have been riding alone quite a lot throughout the race even allowing for the fact they'll sit up after riding themselves into the ground.

Was down to one team mate on the penultimate climb yesterday, iirc.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    T Martin currently quickest at 23.17
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    The weather looks dreadful.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    NorvernRob wrote:
    ^^^^Absolutely, I said something similar to my mate earlier. You'll never see him sitting at the back, rolling in 15 minutes down because he's not in the mood. You get 100% from him every time.

Well not quite never... a stinking stage at Catalunya earlier this year where he finished the race but clearly wasn't on it after the bug he'd had going into it and ended up domestiquing for Porte after finishing stage 4 in the grupetto with the likes of Betancur.
  • NervexProf
    Top 10 departure times (local)

119 121 14:32:00 MAJKA Rafal TCS POL
    120 66 14:34:00 TROFIMOV Yury KAT RUS
    121 14 14:36:00 SCARPONI Michele AST ITA
    122 11 14:38:00 NIBALI Vincenzo AST ITA
    123 88 14:40:00 YATES Simon OGE GBR
    124 58 14:42:00 URAN URAN Rigoberto EQS COL
    125 31 14:44:00 QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander MOV COL
    126 61 14:46:00 SPILAK Simon KAT SLO
    127 1 14:48:00 FROOME Christopher SKY GBR
    128 71 14:50:00 PINOT Thibaut FDJ FRA
    129 68 14:52:00 ZAKARIN Ilnur KAT RUS
  • NervexProf
  • RonB
    Current top 5 (but changing all the time)

1 Martin
    2 Van Den Broeck+18s
    3 Dennis+22s
    4 Castroviejo+25s
    5 Clement+26s
  • RonB
    edited May 2015
    Spilak just 8" down at the split. Yates currently 9th +33, puts him ahead of Majak in the GC?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    Froome 17 seconds down on Spilak at first split. Hope he's got a major negative split in him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RonB
    edited May 2015
    Uran is in, 32" down on Martin. Pinot slower than Froome and Spilak, looks like he will be passed by them in the overall.
  • adr82
    Bike change for Zakarin
  • The_Boy
    Peanut sixteen second down on froome. Damn.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284
    Zakarin hits the first split just a second or two slower than Martin, then has mechanical.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format