MPH3 Replacement Rotor Compatibility?

liamcorrigan
liamcorrigan Posts: 49
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to offer me a bit of guidance. I'm normally a roadie (please be nice) so these funny disc brake thingies you grubby lot have been using for ages are new, different and to be feared... :lol:

I'm fixing up a mate's MTB for him, a Giant XtC 840 circa 2008 I think, and it has what I believe are MPH3 brakes (it's the bad boys in the attached image - hope it's worked). Both rotors are pretty badly bent and, having heard mixed opinion about attempting to straighten them, I was just going to suggest replacing. Need to double-check but understand that the standard items are 160mm.

I've been looking online and haven't been able to find a direct replacement for the OEM rotors. I did see something on a forum somewhere about these particular rotors having a wider braking surface than more modern ones, and that this had caused some compatibility issues (pad contacting rotor spokes I think).

I just spoke to my local Giant Store, and the guy (who did seem to know exactly what I was talking about) told me that any bog-standard 160mm, 6-hole rotor would be fine. However, when I tried to clarify whether they did in fact have a wider braking surface and if this would be an issue, I think he thought I was talking about the thickness of the rotor and, having tried to re-phrase a few times, I decided to do the British thing and politely gave up feeling around 85% confident that he'd answered my question... :?

So can anyone confirm for me, before I go and spend someone else's money on any old rotors?

Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He was right, ideally you want one with an inner radius of the braking surface that matches to what the giant pads want, but it's not critical.

The discs with cheaper brakes tend to have the widest braking surface, just look at some and eyeball them and pick a thickish one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nice one, ta very much!