Tuning sector tk

Bigun6767
Bigun6767 Posts: 81
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a rockshox sector tk 140 and I was wondering if I can change the tk damper for a RL damper? In standard form it suffers with a bit of brake dive and I thought uprating to a RL ( revelation?) damper may be the way to go to get compression damping.Does anyone have any experience of this conversion and is it possible? If not what options do I have. Also, can I alter the travel on these? On the rockshox website it states 140/150mm travel. Many thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    RL is remote lockout, not Revelation.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    But to answer your question - it is theoretically possible to change a TK damper for a "motion control" module (non-remote version) which would give you a dial to set the compression damping anywhere between fully off and fully on ("locked").

Quite an expensive mod, though, so unless your fork is in absolutely tip-top condition, with year and years left in it, it may not be worthwhile.

As for the travel - the 140-150mm reference on the website almost certainly refers to the different options available, not the fact that the travel is "adjustable" in any meaningful way (to the best of my knowledge, to change the travel on these forks you'd have to change the internals - again, prohibitively costly).
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    If it's the soloair model then you should be able to adjust the travel with spacers, just like on older RS forks.

As to the damper, I've done it myself on a Sektor R with an RLT compression damper and a dual-flow rebound damper. RL is, imo, not really worth it. Better to go to the RLT where the threshold can be balanced against the low speed comp. to help against dive but still be supple and ready for bigger hits. The rebound damper makes the biggest difference, but not really against dive. Both dampers came to about £100 for me (can probably be found quite cheaply right now on German stores).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or get a set of damaged used forks with the right damper.....much cheaper.

A MoCo damper (no remote) for the daughters Revs was £76 from TFTuned.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bigun6767
    Bigun6767 Posts: 81
    Thanks for all the useful replies. I did actually mean motion control damper. I will give TF tuned a buzz
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    mountainbikes.net (click through the terrible front page, they're a decent shop really) and gabelprofi.de have the RLT MoCo DNA unit for about €65 delivered. Good time to take advantage of the low Euro perhaps, but damaged forks are also a good shout.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you have steel stanchions you can only fit a damper designed for use with steel stanchions. The aluminium stanchions have a thicker wall so the damper is slightly smaller diameter.
    Revelations have slightly crap dampers anyway. Get a PUSH tune instead.