Banshee Spitfire, or something else?

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
I want a new frame.
- because the paranoia of riding a 2010 Meta is quite draining
- I want to be able to choose any fork, not just the ones with straight steerers
- longer, slacker, lower etc.
- who doesn't love buying new things

Banshee Spitfire ticks a lot of boxes for me
- aggressive geometry without having an unnecessary amount of travel
- adjustable geometry
- 26" and 27.5" compatibility (I can use my 26" wheels with the new frame and a 27.5" fork and I am futureproofed)
- active yet progressive suspension (I like the back end to sit low in the travel and be active and plush, however this means I am running about 35% sag on the Meta and bottoming out more than I really should)

Anything else I should be considering in the £1500 frame and shock region? The Transition Patrol was on my shortlist but the Banshee is cheaper and more versatile. It has also been around longer and has had some cracking reviews. Will be test riding the Spitfire at Swinley when I get a spare afternoon, can't see it being anything but good though.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I was considering one of these until I was warned off by someone who works with suspension.
    Aparently the eat bearings and shock bushings, partly because they arent built straight.
    It was the 26" / 650b friendly adaption that appealed to me.
  • Twelly
    I thought the new layout was supposed to stop the hardware munching that the old ones suffered from?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    You see quite a few of them about in the borders. The guy that designed them lives in Edinburgh, and they're stocked by an excellent LBS in Edinburgh too. Haven't heard of any of the 2nd generation frames having problems with bearing wear and I've asked around a bit. The first generation had issues but was redesigned several years ago as I understand. All the feedback I've heard from people riding them has been positive.

I'm currently deciding between the Spitfire or the Prime (Banshee's longer travel 29er) for my next bike. I demoed the Prime last week thinking it would be a bit of a steamroller, but it was great fun, surprisingly poppy and engaging even on tamer stuff. More importantly (as this will be a race bike), its fast. Really fast. On everything I rode it on at Glentress and Inners. Spitfire demo booked in next weekend so can report back if helpful.

I think there is a Banshee thread on MBR which is monitored by the designer dude, so check that out for further info.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe it was the early ones with troubles. Kustom bikes have Spitfire frames for £1299 at the moment
  • Twelly
    Ordered, here tomorrow!