Cannondale F29 Carbon 2 hardtail & lefty

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Is the F29 carbon 2 worth the minimum of £2000 that I can get it for? Or are there better valued 29er hard tails out there? This is with respect to XC racing and having a quick blast with mates.
Also , how does the lefty stack up to a SID or Reba? Very ignorant when it comes to the lefty.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They look silly.
    But otherwise links help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Lefties are lighter and stiffer than an equivalent 'ordinary' fork, you need some proprietary tools to service them, they're very expensive new and obvious you're tied into their hubs, plus the combined steerer/stem on the lighter units. Removing the front wheel is more of a faff as you have to undo the brake calliper.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You forgot to say they look silly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lefty's are excellent forks to ride. They are very well damped and although they look weedy they are very stiff, a SID or Reba will flex a lot more.
    They can be a little unreliable though, friends who have them often seem to have various oil or air leaks but I dpnt know if they get theirs serviced regularly.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    If you're looking for a fast xc bike then you can't go wrong with an F29
  • I just bought a used F29 and two additional "cons" of getting a Lefty for me are:
    • Won't work on my bike rack that all my other bikes fit on (requires quick release front hub)
    • Won't work on my bike repair stand that all my other bikes fit on (requires quick release front hub)
    If you don't work on your own bikes or have a clamping-style work stand, the second point is irrelevant to you. I still haven't figured-out a good way to transport my bike to the trails. The good-old quick release front hub on my old Cannondale was so much more convenient.

Cons aside, when I took the fork off to do some maintenance, I find it is crazy light... one of the reasons why I was willing to put-up with all it's proprietary technologies. :mrgreen:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I just bought a used F29 and two additional "cons" of getting a Lefty for me are:
    • Won't work on my bike rack that all my other bikes fit on (requires quick release front hub)
    • Won't work on my bike repair stand that all my other bikes fit on (requires quick release front hub)

To be fair, few bikes are QR these days, virtually everything is 15mm thru-axle.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Both your stand and rack are rubbish. What use is a stand which wont allow you to remove the forks? Or work on your bike with the front wheel in? Same with the rack, the whole readon I put my bikes on a rack is so that I dont get mud in the car. My roof carrier works with wheels fitted so my car boot stays clean.
    QR is rare now because most qr hubs and forks flex more than most 15mm bolt through hubs (there are exceptions).