Carbon seat stay - outer bearing race stuck

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
The seat stay bearings that attach to the shock link on my Cannondale RZ140 were goosed so I set about removing them only to find that they were REALLY knackered and practically fell out leaving the outer race stuck in the seat stay.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to remove them? I've tried heading it with a hair dryer and tapping with a screw driver but no joy yet.

The bearings are fitted using some red loctite for info (as per instructions)

Also noticed that the bolts connecting the seat stay to the shock link have been damaged through wear and tear. I was a bit surprised by that, is it anything to be worried about?

Thanks in advance for the help,

IMAG0556.jpg
IMAG0559.jpg
IMAG0560.jpg

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    what took you so long to realize that you had no bearings?!
    carbon seat stays!? try this but be very careful
    http://ausbuells.informe.com/forum/buel ... 56-15.html

while you fidling to remove the case, a new seat stay must be on it's way if you really wan't to ride your bike again...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    The correct answer was....

Take it to the LBS who knocked them out properly.

Why are you so convinced that a new seat stay would be required? The old bearing race is out so fit new ones and go ride.

Thanks for the link, I'll get some of those bolts for future bearing related problems.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the correct answer was to get the right sized drift and DIY, but otherwise yes, the first answer was a bit cack!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    I meant you may need a new one just in case you break it trying to remove the bearing case :!:
    tom_fun wrote:
    Take it to the LBS who knocked them out properly

If you can trust your LBS then you should go down there for servicing/checking more frequently I guess :lol:

good you sort it out!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    More regular maintenance and inspection in the future to prevent this again. First sign of any play or roughness get them replaced.