Sean Kelly Bingo

jswba
jswba Posts: 491
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Now that the Classics season is in full swing, it seems a good time to get Eurosport bingo/drinking game up and running.

Good old Sean first:

Yis
Oi don't tink so
General Classement (only on stage races, obviously)
Long silence
On the rivet

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Not new, but always fun.

Also look out for:

"Certaintly" and "Yis, well....."

Must say I have enjoyed Matt Stephen's commentary so far this year.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Bonification!
    and Full Gas - which is how some end up On the rivet.

Carlton Bingo:
    - utter shouty OTT bollcocks at the wrong moment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Both GCN guys are doing great stuff! Has Kirby done anything other than the Sufferfest Video this year?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Kelly:
    Making the calculation
    Drilling
    Playing the waiting game
    Fooking (rare but it slips out once in a while)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Ulrika Greenhedge
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • pottssteve
    Mayjorly....
  • Being goaded into (reluctantly) talking about his book.
  • pottssteve
    Big favourites...
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    A part of me still longs to hear about the heads of state dipping into their suitcase of courage.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    " ... Last number of years..."

" ... for the last number of kilometres ... "

How many? FFS! If you mean a few, say "a few"!
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    The lead commentator will ask who might win (Kirby loves this and tends to name pretty much every one and then claims credit for calling it when one of the 30 crosses the line), to hopefully pass 10 minutes of time talking about the favourites, form, chances etc.

Sean gives one name, no reason - end of conversation.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Sean Kelly:

"Going full bore.."

"On the rivet.."

"Making the calculayshun..."

Kirby - "Oh my goodness! Purito has pressed the accelerator and he's going on an audacious long range attack! He's blasted himself into outer space. Oh no, sorry sorry, it's just Dani Moreno rolling through for his turn. Sorry Sean."

Kelly - "Yes well."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Lack of Kirby this season has been a treat.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I said quite a while ago that Brian Smith was the best commentator on Eurosport. It's just a shame that Harmon isn't around to join him.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I bloody LOVE Sean Kelly.

That is all.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I agree, Harmon and Kelly is still the best cycling commentary team I've heard, I want to see how Kelly goes with Matt Stephens now. I don't think Stephens has reached Harmon's standard yet but he's new to the game and of course as Harmon is never going to be allowed to work in commentary again there is a gap in the market if Stephens can fill it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    I agree, Harmon and Kelly is still the best cycling commentary team I've heard, I want to see how Kelly goes with Matt Stephens now. I don't think Stephens has reached Harmon's standard yet but he's new to the game and of course as Harmon is never going to be allowed to work in commentary again there is a gap in the market if Stephens can fill it.
    The true test of a cycling commentator is a dull as dishwater, pancake flat sprint stage in the Tour de France. Not the last 10km, but the two and a half hours before that.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    The true test of a cycling commentator is a dull as dishwater, pancake flat sprint stage in the Tour de France. Not the last 10km, but the two and a half hours before that.

Stephens and Smith had some excellent tactical chats about finish options along the coast yesterday. Need people who understand bike racing. That's why CK is pants.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Stephens and Smith had some excellent tactical chats about finish options along the coast yesterday. Need people who understand bike racing. That's why CK is pants.
    That's a good start. But it's a famous classic with everyone up for the win and options to play. It's not quite the same as rolling past non-descript fields in anticipation for an inevitable Kittel victory on a straight run in. Chateaux and tractors only go so far.
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    That's a good start. But it's a famous classic with everyone up for the win and options to play. It's not quite the same as rolling past non-descript fields in anticipation for an inevitable Kittel victory on a straight run in. Chateaux and tractors only go so far.

There are plenty of interesting cycling stories every day of the Tour, as the daily Cycling podcasts show. High class filler for sensible chat about the race.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    There are plenty of interesting cycling stories every day of the Tour
    We will see how they do. But that's were Kirby comes into his own - particularly when he was the third man to Harmon-Kelly. He was always ready with story about the time he won a chateau from a Russian arms dealer playing canasta in a Istanbul bordello.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kelly:
    Making the calculation
    Drilling
    Playing the waiting game
    Fooking (rare but it slips out once in a while)

"making de calculation" is almost always followed by "or he'll pay de price"

"Tour of France"
    "Belgiums"
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Matt Stephens did ok filling space in some massively dull Tour of California stages last year, his debut as lead commentator.

While Kirby may seem to have been quiet, he is always committed to RCS for the international English commentary at this time of the season: Dubai, Tirreno, Strade Bianchi and Milan-Sanremo all done for them so far. He'll disappear off to Italy for the Giro in May too. By the end of Catalunya, he'll have done the same amount of race days on Eurosport as Rob Hatch (13).

Last year Carlton did just over 100 days of commentary for Eurosport, and add that to 30/40 or so days for RCS, the guy is (bizarrely) pretty busy.

Rob Hatch did 75, Quigley 40 and Matt Stephens 27.

Despite the fact Sean is rarely on, he shows up for the big events and was the most used summariser in terms of race days with 73. Brian Smith was next with 60. Matt Stephens put in 26 additional appearances as a co-commentator.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Kalkalayshun.....
    On de rivet........
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    "Bonifications" really grinds my gears, Can't we have a commentator who speaks English?
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    I like Rob Hatch - sue me. Magnus Backstedt is good as co-commentator as well.

I'd love to hear more of David Millar commentating. He did the worlds a few years ago (when it finished on the Cauberg) and he was great.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Thought his interview in the recent Cycling Podcast was very entertaining.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    "well, no..." (usually in response to Kirby)
    "Generul Klassemunt"
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Would love you lot to say all this to Sean's face - you'd me majorly punched in the face :mrgreen:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paris-Nice
    But with Paris pronounced normally, Nice pronounced the French way

General claseefikeeshun (About 3 times a minute in a TT :-) )

I quite like the guy but the bingo is good fun