amusing vehicles you have seen

oblongomaculatus
oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
Coming the other way last week, one of those giant three wheeled motorbikes, like the one Billy Connolly rode across Australia a few years ago - but this one was towing a caravan.

A year or two back I was passed by a convoy of 100 + vintage cars. Mostly they were 1960's or 70's, but with some going back to the 30's. Most had custom paint jobs, big external chromed exhausts or similar adornments. There was even one of those things ZZ Top used to drive in their videos. I don't drive, have little interest in cars, and would normally have become irked at so many vehicles going past one after another on a quiet country road, but this was a fabulous show. I think they were on their way to Old Warden aerodrome, which was nearby and sometimes hosts motor events, or perhaps Santa Pod, also not too far away.

I may have mentioned this before, but I remember being passed by a white van which cut sharply in front of me on a road in Lincolnshire in order to avoid an oncoming car, at which point the entire exhaust fell off and lay smoking in the road. When I caught up with the van, which had stopped in a gateway, I noticed the driver and the passenger were laughing almost as much as I was.

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    An ambulance with a sign saying 'No patients left in this ambulance overnight'
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    A Cadbury's Creme Egg driving along a few years back!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • natrix wrote:
    An ambulance with a sign saying 'No patients left in this ambulance overnight'

Excellent! I love it!

I've thought of a couple more:

A van with the words "Ladies, don't sleep with that drip - call your plumber!"

A gigantic tractor with a puncture in one of the back wheels. It was tilted over at almost 45 degrees.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    29ylbeo.jpg

Just made better because it has windscreen wipers... :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PT Cruiser's always amuse me.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    years ago, it was the Dalek car
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Carbonator wrote:
    PT Cruiser's always amuse me.

I get the same amusement from anything made by Vauxhall !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Please park within the marked bays :D

DSC03028.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • image.jpg1_zpsac4crwvt.jpg[/URL]
    I've seen this car driving around Leeds on a few occasions recently.
  • Smart cars.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I wrote the software for all of the Red Bull cars, they are funny looking but we had to limit the top speed to 70mph to stop the can falling off at speed.

red-bull-car.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    What was to write? A speed limiter?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • VTech
    What was to write? A speed limiter?

Speed limiters and torque curve.
    Living MY dream.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    My walk to primary school took me past a large, detached house set beck from the road - it was called Westwinds. The man who lived there (before he set up Panther Cars) used to customise stuff for the wealthy.

It was a schoolboy's treat - all the stuff you saw nowhere else. A Mini that was covered in a suede-look black furry stuff. Range Rovers adapted as hunting carriages for the Middle East and other custom jobs that defied description. In later years, I'd see Panthers parked up on the street or in the drive - and those were highly amusing cars - a sort of Bugatti Rorale rip-off and a fancified Triumph Dolomite, along with the run-of-the-mill sausage-shaped roadsters.

But the most amused I've been be a car... was seeing an M35 Citroen parked in a village square in France about fifteen years ago when I had no camera on me.

And whoever said Vauxhalls are amusing is a heartless so-and-so. The Zafira is the cyclist's greatest friend. It was almost built purely to ferry bicycles. You can put people in it, too.
  • I meant to mention earlier that there's also a farmhouse I pass regularly which has parked outside a yellow three wheeled van with "Trotters Independent Traders - Paris, New York, Peckham" on the side...
  • VTech
    I meant to mention earlier that there's also a farmhouse I pass regularly which has parked outside a yellow three wheeled van with "Trotters Independent Traders - Paris, New York, Peckham" on the side...

I challenge anyone to walk past that vehicle and not smile. I would love to own one.
    Living MY dream.
  • It always makes me smile when I go past and it's there. It's parked some way back from the road but from what I can see it's either a custom replica or one of the actual vehicles from the series, auctioned off by the BBC.
  • VTech
    It always makes me smile when I go past and it's there. It's parked some way back from the road but from what I can see it's either a custom replica or one of the actual vehicles from the series, auctioned off by the BBC.

Try and grab a sneaky pic next time your passing and post it here. Would love to see it.
    Living MY dream.
  • Haven't seen it in a while, come to think of it, but if it's there next time I'll have a go. It tends to be partly obscured by a hedge but from what I remember it's exactly like on the TV - the correct, slightly wonky lettering, grubby marks etc. I've had a look on Google Streetview for it just now, but it wasn't there when the camera car went past a few months ago either.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the subject of Reliant three wheelers there's a house n Bristol that has them growing in the garden :lol:

http://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.48 ... -12.25p,1z

The cars have been there for as long as I can remember, over 25 years.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    VTech wrote:
    I wrote the software for all of the Red Bull cars, they are funny looking but we had to limit the top speed to 70mph to stop the can falling off at speed.

red-bull-car.jpg

So if you drink Red Bull you'll find yourself driving at 70 mph :shock:

Well that is the legal speed limit...
  • VTech
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:

red-bull-car.jpg

With the cars given to students and the ability for those students to drive the car on the continent where limits can be over 70mph the fact is that the cars need to be limited for safety. Quite often in life safety functions are set in place to take away human error even though those errors are not within the legal areas of UK law.

I hope this has helped you understand.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    VTech wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:

red-bull-car.jpg

Unnecessary explanation for the people here etc...

Fancy you being that thick! :D
  • VTech
    edited March 2015
    team47b wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    VTech wrote:

red-bull-car.jpg

Unnecessary explanation for the people here etc...

Fancy you being that thick! :D

Being thick wouldn't bother me.
    In fact not many things would bother me, anyone feeling bad for someone calling them thick needs to look at themselves. I can imagine being upset if your wife or husband leaves unexpectedly, or you lose contact with your kids or parents but given family life being ok what else can really bother someone ?

Call me thick, call me stupid, call me whatever. I soak in that sh)t. :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    I wasn't calling you thick, but on reflection you seemed to have now gone out of your way to persuade me otherwise :wink:
  • VTech
    team47b wrote:
    I wasn't calling you thick, but on reflection you seemed to have now gone out of your way to persuade me otherwise :wink:

Trust me, the wife has called me thick on many occasions and to be honest, other than that, she never lies so maybe its true :oops: :shock:
    Living MY dream.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    No pic, but it was amusing at the time.
    Back in the late 70s my mate had a yellow Capri. This is the time when a black vinyl roof was in vogue. Alas his was without, so he made do with a coat of underseal.
    At least the roof never leaked.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    In Corfu, I saw a converted rotavator. Blades removed and replaced with wheels, and a bench seat (think pony and trap type) attached to the back.
    Similar to this one, with less trailer and a bit more......er.....rustic :lol:

theadriving.jpg

And the one I saw was used regularly on public roads :shock:
  • team47b
    Pick up truck seen at the local market!

d153f180-e20a-46a8-92b9-d99f2a4bf84c.jpg

Now that is a chain arrangement! (It had a quick link too :D )

imagejpg6.jpg