edited February 2015 in Pro race
Sports Life itv4 Tuesday night 22:00

If you are interested.

Comments

• Was it any good?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep it was good. One thing is for sure, he is a very very driven individual.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    One thing's for sure - he deserves every bit of success that comes his way.
    A brilliant subject combined with great access...and with Ned Boulting! Should've been a winner, yet...

It felt a bit as though they were rushing through the narrative of Froome's life (on and off the bike) with a tick list in an attempt to get to the end credits*; throwing away some of the key aspects/moments in the process (His South African friends talking about how emotional it was seeing their mate ride past in yellow on Champs Élysées (and taking the p!ss out of Froome's riding style) - his old mentor and youngsters back in Kenya jumping up and down at Froome's Tour win on the TV.... Were breezed past and made strangely unemotional - as was the story around his mum passing away; they could have really gone for the jugular there...).
    For once, we hardly heard a peep out of his missus; just a few shots of her looking on adoringly - nice touch.

*Purposeful yet unemotional pacing that gets the job done - sounds familiar...
  • A good program, he came across as a nice guy !
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A good program, he came across as a nice guy !

Albeit one who won't let anyone stop him from achieving his ambitions. Credit to him for doing so well to be fair.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I will admit to knowing very little about him prior to Sir Brad's tour.

What a boy! I have nothing but respect for him.
  • Just watched it on the ITV Player and really enjoyed it. Could have been another hour longer to be honest. If he can stay healthy and upright I reckon he'll end up in yellow a few more times.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I enjoyed it, I'm at the chapter of Barrlow world in his book just now, I'll finish it on tour over the weekend.
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Put a bit of flesh on the bones of Froome's story but as cycling documentaries go this was pretty forgettable. It's probably unfair to compare it to the High Life or Slaying the Badger but I think there was scope to dig a bit deeper into his character, what really drives him, his relationships with Wiggins, Brailsford etc In other words I didn't expect great but it could have been a bit better.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Could have been another hour longer to be honest.

Agree. Great to see Brailsford's obvious affection and admiration. Froome seems genuinely likeable, but with remarkable steel. To just pitch up at Commonwealths and Worlds takes astonishing self belief. Would like to see more of Froome with Kinja.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Read the book then. What else would you expect from the money grabbing types at ITV, 4 ad breaks taking nearly a 3rd of the hour timeslot is what.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    okgo wrote:
    Read the book then. What else would you expect from the money grabbing types at ITV, 4 ad breaks taking nearly a 3rd of the hour timeslot is what.
    Sorry but that is only part of the TV rubbish. (so this is my Off topic Rant)
    What you say is true, but will also cover the title known as "Freeview"
    When all these 5/6 minute advert interludes all coincide with all the other channels to make freeview known as "Repeatview". (ie - change channels and see the same advert running)
    Take all the BBC repeats (from a time when they had Talent) and a half hour programme of that time is now shown on Freeview in a 40 minute slot.
    So three old programmes now take two hours, whereas it would have been 1 hour 30 minutes before Freeview.
    I know this because for nostalgic reasons I sometimes record and then edit out the adverts to find the 40 minutes are reduced to a 28 minute programme

On the Basis that "Time is Money" then freeview (repeatview) is rather expensive.

Sorry but I couldn't resist.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    This was fine within the context of the "Sports Life Stories" series - anyone who has watched the rest of the series would know what to expect: some minor insight, reasonable depth for a 40 minute show, decent production values, decent access to the subject.

I find it hard to be broadly critical of ITV4's coverage of cycling and things cycling related given that it is free - Deejay's comments not withstanding. The High Life was a pretty remarkable documentary built on a year's access to Millar but apart from ITV's scant coverage of the Tour, it was the only cycling-related thing you would get to see in those days.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    inseine wrote:

Well that was surprisingly watchable. I find the absence of rancour, at those 2 GTs he might have won but for team orders, remarkable for such an ambitious guy. Brailsford's bemusement at the 2011 Vuelta performance was another highlight.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Macaloon wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Well that was surprisingly watchable. I find the absence of rancour, at those 2 GTs he might have won but for team orders, remarkable for such an ambitious guy.
    Surely he was happy in those 2 GT's to be paid to just sit behind Wiggo for 90% of the time.
    Like all Domestic riders that if they get a chance then they should grab it.
    So he got his chance to earn the higher bucks but he was not sure when he signed on at the beginning, or are you all saying that he was that good from the start.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Can't see why he could be upset. You have to pay your dues in the hope that you then get your turn, when you will rely on the new domestiques doing the same job for you. If you weren't willing to do it then you should have no right to ask others to do it for you
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    apreading wrote:
    Can't see why he could be upset. You have to pay your dues in the hope that you then get your turn, when you will rely on the new domestiques doing the same job for you. If you weren't willing to do it then you should have no right to ask others to do it for you

i think the whole point is that Froome was arguably stronger than Wiggins in both those GT's. In his book he says he signed for Sky after the 2011 Vuelta (and being offered more money elsewhere) thinking that he would be a GC rider in the 2012 Tour, and wasn't happy when he was left to lose time after a puncture on stage 1 then not allowed to try and make up time on the mountain stage where he dropped Wiggins.

Domestiques are only that because someone else has a better chance of winning than they do.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    NorvernRob wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Domestiques are only that because someone else has a better chance of winning than they do.

Yes and it's Napoleon's thing about every rank and file soldier having a marshall's baton in his knapsack.
  • Quite enjoyable documentary, broad enough for the casual cycling viewer but with a couple of insights about his upbringing for regular fans. The 2011 Vuelta and 2012 Tour are moot points now but if he can build on that form from the Tour of Andalucía it would be difficult to bet against him for this years TdF
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition