Cervelo r3

scott_b
scott_b Posts: 27
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi. Does anyone have any experience of an r3. I'm considering changing my 2011 giant tcr advanced and have always had a soft spot for Cervelos.
My questions are.... Are the really as good as the reviews make them out to be and how to the fair for 5-6 hrs rides?
I'm 5'8 and looking at the 54cm.

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I preferred riding my Ribble winter bike to my R3. R3 was 'good' but very 'meh'
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I preferred riding my Ribble winter bike to my R3. R3 was 'good' but very 'meh'

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping the r3 would be something special based on the reviews I've read.
  • napoleond
    It's s carbon fibre frame mass produced in China.
    It's good but, well, nowt special!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Have you considered the S3...good for 5-6 hour rides, and just a little more special.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Did you have an old R3 like me Nap? I thought you did? Cos they are pretty much a completely new frame nowadays. (Mine was 2009). I also rode an S3 a good bit, but again not the current one, didn't like it, wasn't impressed. Those experiences sort of put me off Cervelos, but maybe the new incarnations have improved things!
  • napoleond
    I had the 2011/2012 one with BBright bottom bracket and the 'team' fork etc.

Not the very latest model but still fairly recent.

I just found it very boring. It never screamed 'ride me' like my Colnagos before and after it.

R3131212.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Some like them others don't but I think that is the same for a lot of bikes, not knocking anyone who is not a fan of them but for me my (old R3sl) is the best bike I have ridden. That includes a Colnago, S-works that I currently have and a Parlee, BMC and Cannondale that have been moved on.

Can't really comment on whether the newer R3s are as good, better or worse than the older version.

Interesting comment about the new S3 not being as 'good' as the older one, this was exactly the same comment I had from a member of my club. New is not always an improvement despite the marketing hype. I'll stick for the time being to my R3sl.

SV
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I have both a Cervelo R3 Dark and a couple of TCR Advanced Giants. The TCR's are great frames, have a race feel and are well built, if a little over engineered which produces one very stiff bike. The R3 has a more relaxed set up, a bit like the Defy. It is still very stiff around the bottom bracket area but the seatstays are stupidly thin.. increasing comfort.. but boy they look fragile. What sets the Cervelo apart is the weight.. it's very light and climbs like a homesick angel. If someone took away my bikes from me and gave me £3000 to spend I'd be driven mad trying to make a selection. Choice to me is a low grade torture. :) For sizing I'm 174 cm and have both small and medium TCR's, I ride the medium more. I have a 54cm R3 which fits me well but for a racing set up I'd plum for the 51cm. Save some cash for better hoops too.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Thinks ill find a stockists and go have a test ride on one. I like the ginat but fancied a change, if itv ones to feel much better, I'll stick with the trusty giant.