Getting a beginner round a cross country route

scoi
scoi Posts: 103
edited February 2015 in MTB beginners
So the better half has caught the bug. Having not sat on a bike for 15 years she's gone through all the stages of learning again, unfortunately bruises heal slower now, and now likes some trails. Only problem is she's glued to the seat and panics and any sort of bump as she gets thrown around.

Anyone know if a good guide or video to getting from sit up and beg to a more attack position. I know she'll feel more confident when she's in control of weight distribution but going there in one movement will never happen.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would just let her find her own way and enjoy the riding. My wife takes no notice of MTB advice I give her until she works it out for herself. On one downhill I get up to around 40mph while she comes down grinning doing about 20mph.

As long as the wife is happy your winning :)

The worst thing to do is keep telling her she is doing things wrong and annoy her. The most annoyed wife I saw was the one left behind on road bikes by her husband. He kept sprinting off and leaving her behind.I imagine he is no longer with us.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What has she been riding on up to now?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scoi
    She's happy but wants to explore more and gradient and terrain is holding her back.

Currently done paths through parks and around lakes, Canal paths and a go through the family path at Rushmere.

I know telling she's wrong will end up heading home. She's done so well so far but she's hit a plateau and won't get the butt out of the seat
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just find some nice gentle singletrack and let her get used to it.

Or shove her down a gnarly DH trail.

One or the other will work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hicks lodge and then sherwood pines would be my suggestion (you may be limited by where you are), Hicks is easy sitting down, SP a bit harder, after doing it a few times I think she'll understand where it would be easier to get into the attack position.

That said, she's enjoying it, so who cares!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • There was a brilliant vid on youtube ( poss women of dirt or girls can do it as well or somesuch ) anyhoo it was a short doc on a women only trail event in the us of states covering teaching the basics and culminating in a contest.
    I found it fairly encouraging and i'm not a frail.

apologies for not posting a link but we have a web blocker on youtube at work...facists.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Take her to Gawton and send her down the double black trail.
  • Hi.

Don't know where you live but Welsh Cycling do ladies only skills days, there are British Cycling so they will most prob do it in other parts of the country.

Saves falling out and people tend to listen more to a complete stranger :D
  • scoi
    Thanks for the new replies all. Will try and find the vid. Trawling through vids of women on bikes is going to be hard work, but I'll man up and do it. Maybe teach like you would a kid. Let them enjoy it and teach them one thing at a time whilst not being selfish. Patience, patience
  • Is that Rushmere Leighton Buzzard? If so, you could take her on some of the lesser trails/bridleways heading out from the MTB trails at the back of the herons hatch visitor centre (near the giant chair).
    Also worth looking at Leighton Buzzard and Linslade Cycle Club as they have a Sunday ride which is free and is predominantly bridleways etc., so should be just what she needs. They have a facebook page and this is the site - http://buzzcycles.btck.co.uk/

Incidentally, you should try the BMX track at Passmore in Milton Keynes - found it really useful when showing a friend basic attack position etc. Unless you live near another Rushmere of course :lol:
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • scoi
    Yes Paul, we're in the Buzz. I think we've covered most of the park footpaths (tut tut), family route and the permissive. She still thinks the local bikers are crazy!

I thought the cycle club closed, used to be the Rollers if i remember correctly. Never managed to get out with them. Thanks for the link but unfortunately the off road part of it is closed. BMX track looks good, we did the Willen Coldecotte loop and didnt even know it was there.
  • If you look on that website on Sunday rides, you'll see its predominantly off-road. A ride with them would be a great way for your partner to continue her development whilst getting to know some new like minded people (of all ages and abilities) and getting to know some new riding loops.

Thursday nights are great too but probably a bit much for her at this time - though you should join us.

Another nice loop would be out to Stanbridge and up the Sewell Greenway to Dunstable Downs, grab a coffee and some cake and ride back down again.

There is also a Sunday ride which leaves Market Cross in town at 9am. Same group that rides Thursday nights so same level of competency etc., though no one is ever left behind.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374