DT Swiss RR 1.1

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I've got the opportunity to buy a pair of NOS DT Swiss RR 1.1 for a good price. I'm not familiar with these rims, does anyone have an opinion on them? I've read they are similar in quality and performance to Open Pros, which I have used. Are they suitable for running tubeless, with the right tape, tyres, etc.? The ones I'm offered are white, which will go well with the bike I'd build them for. However, the bike is blue and white, so I'd want to get rid of the black and red decals, do you know if these would come off easily?

I'm looking to build up a set of wheels for a retro project with an Italian steel frame and modern Campagnolo Veloce. Any recommendations for some hubs that would suit such a build? The hubs have to be silver and 10 speed.

Thanks

Comments

• They are lighter than OP, but don't take much tension... load 1200 N and they will crack. No tubeless, but they are quite tight, so if you feel brave you can try

You need hubs with the widest flange distance... record maybe?
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fine rims just not wide. My own set are built up with laser spokes and miche primato hubs, mine are 28 spoke front and rear and they are quite stiff Stiffer thana 32 spoke open pro build with sapim race spokes. Yes the rim is stiffer than the open pro but that is not too hard. Also be aware DT Swiss suggest a 90 kg rider and bike weight limit. This is something you should adhere to if you want to avoid the risk of the rim cracking.

I would agree at the tension comment above. 1100 newtons is the maximum they can sustain. Don't go lower as spoke will fatigue quickly don't go higher as the rim may crack over time. A tension meter is very useful when building with these.

for shiny silver hubs try to find post 1999 chorus hubs I managed to find a set for 100 pounds by looking on Italian ebay. Seach for chorus mozzi see what you find. Otherwise the novatec a171 and f172 hubs do the job very well and look the same.

Stick to the design limits and they are fine exceed them and they are not.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Thanks for the feedback. I've built up a couple of sets of wheels with Kinlin XR 270 rims, which I've been very pleased with. Like the RR 1.1s I can get those in white too, which is what I'm after. Apart from lower profile and eyeleted spoke holes, how would the two compare?

Those Novatec f172 hubs are exactly the look I'm after, so if I can't pick up some genuine Campagnolo hubs at a good price, I'll be placing an order for a set of them... When I've finished the current project, Ambrosio Nemesis on vintage Croce d'Aune hubs for the Master
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The kinlin xc 279 rim is stiffer but the DT rim is much better made. It is possible to get much more even spoke tension with the DT rim than with the kinlin. I am quite fussy about things like that. Issue like this keep me from using the xr270 rim and some others. Also the brake track on the cheap kinlin can pulse after a while. I don't think it the pin join bulging but another issue that I can't quite work out. The brake track on the xc 2709 seems not be affected but the old xr200, xr 270 and xr300 are a bit more prone to this. Also the weight of the xr270 varies quite a bit the DT rim is far more consistent.

If you have a 32h rr415 rim then you will get a stiff wheel build with it. It is a better rim and I would use it over the cheap kinlin. You go for the cheap kinlin if you want cheap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.