Van Nicholas or Lynskey

furiousd
furiousd Posts: 214
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking at the ventus se in 105 or Lynskey cooper. Curious what others thoughts are or if I should consider something else. Have an alli bike and a carbon so want to add a titanium to the fleet.
Also sizing, I am 5'9" about 30 inseam so I am going to be a 54 or 56, if any of you guys are similar size if you could let me know what size of the above bikes you have it would be helpful. There are no dealers local to me so would need to make a trip and would want to have an idea of size before hand.
I tried the ventus at Fat Birds but can't remeber the size I tried and it is a 300+ mile round trip.
Thanks in advance.
D

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Compare the sizes of top tubes and head tubes of your bikes with the model you choose.
    54 or 56 doesn't say much abouty those sizes.
  • Might be worth you also having a word with Burls http://www.burls.co.uk/ and Spin http://ridefullgas.com/

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Fat Birds are now selling Enigma too. I would really give any Ti bike a good test ride before buying; some can feel a bit numb and dead. Ref the sizing - I'd say youd be a 54. Im taller than you and ride 56's.

Kinesis GF Ti is the nicest I've ridden. If I test rode that before buying my Enigma, I would'nt have bought my Enigma (hence my advice to try a few)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I went to the London bike show yesterday and Enigma had a stand, have to say was impressed with some of the Ti bikes they had there in different colour schemes.
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Early last year I bought a Ventus SE and stripped it of the Apex and Aksiums. Rebuilt with Force22 and some nice(r) wheels. I love it. Best all-round ride I've had including some other 'endurance' bikes like Spesh Roubaix pro and C'dale Synapse hi-mod. Not for hard-core racers, geometry somewhere between race and full-on relaxo.

I found that adding a decent carbon seatpost made a huge difference to comfort. Depends what your motives are I suppose.

Weighs a bit more of course, but still light enough (for me).

I'm about 5'7 and have a 52, unless you have a weird body shape 54 sounds right but ymmv.

I didn't try any of the more 'exotic' brands, but based on my experience so far I'd happily buy another VN.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    Thanks for comments all.
    Part of the reason for the Ventus is that in 106, it appears to be excellent value. My Bianchi runs a mix of 105 and Bianchi and the Cervelo Ultegra so want to keep with Shimano. I think the Askiums are not bad for a wheel that is chosen at base spec. Have other wheels anyway.
    D