GPS for cycling and walking ?

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone recommend a gps that would be useful for both walking but that would also work for cycling. Looking for navigation really and maybe speed/average speed etc - don't need all the flash power/altimeter/cadence/HR that comes with a lot of the better cycling gps.

I suppose a reasonable sized screen, rechargeable (though could be talked into battery if they exist) and a bike mount or easy DIY mount are all I really need. I'm assuming it's possible to get decent walking maps with footpaths etc - I've only ever used a garmin 705 for road cycling in the past but I'd like to use one for off road cycling and walks too.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Garmin Extrex 30, they run on batteries which is better if you are doing long trips in the wilds etc. Maps can be downloaded free.I got a reconditioned one for £100.
    You buys the bike mounts seperatley I've got a Ram mount for mine.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The Garmin eTrex range is the smallest unit to do what you want. Just pick one with mapping. The cheapest version doesn't do mapping. They run on AA batteries and you should be able to get over 20 hours run time on them.

Garmin also has handlebar mounts for its other handheld GPS units should you prefer one of those instead.

You can download free maps for Garmin units based on Openstreetmap data that will have all the map detail you want.
  • If you have money to burn the best walking GPS is supposed to be Satmap12. It is available with a bike mount too.

It is fully waterproof and since it operates by buttons not touchscreen it will work with gloves or if the screen is wet. It takes OS maps and has the appropriate SD card slot for them. Does all the bits a GPS can and generally a nice bit of kit. I know people who used the older version an rated it. Being at the premium end of walking GPSs it is pricey but you do get what you apy for with it, a top end piece of kit. Wish I could afford one.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    It is fully waterproof and since it operates by buttons not touchscreen it will work with gloves or if the screen is wet.
    Just like the Garmin eTrex and GPSMap ranges.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Etrex. Lasts for ages on a set of batteries and will happily do all you want. You can use the many OSM variants for maps or even OS maps if you have the dough.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    OK ta I don't want to go mad on price so sounds like the Etrex might be the one to look at.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]