2015 Canyon CF SL 9.0 - reviews

redonchrome
redonchrome Posts: 25
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Not many industry based reviews around at the moment.

Anyone got one or test ridden one? Thoughts?

Comments

• I've had the 2014 model for almost a year, fantastic bike, great service from Canyon as well. Not sure what the differences are for the 2015 model?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This but I have the SL 9.0 SL.
  • Are you talking about the shark silver frame? That's the one I've got my eye on, but the Di2 version.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    No change from 2014 bar own branded handlbar and stem, rather than Ritchey. So you can just refer to previous reviews.
  • Not the most up to date picture as I now have a full set of Conti's on!

Canyon-1.jpg
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've been riding a 2014 Ultimate CF SL 9.0 since last May. The frame hasn't changed for this year.
    I was originally looking at getting an Ultimate CF SLX but then when the SL was released I decided it wasn't worth spending the extra cash for the SLX. I haven't regretted that decision. The SL and SLX frames are identical aside from the carbon layup which results in the SL being about 150g heavier and probably slightly different in terms of stiffness and compliance. However the SL is still under 1kg for the frame and results in a very light bike with the equipment specified. There are lots of reviews around for the SLX which came out a year before the SL. Most comments about that bike except those regarding ride and handling will still apply to the SL.
    I have no complaints I can think of. It's a very comfortable bike, handles very nicely in my uneducated opinion - IIRC some reviews mentioned the handling being very race oriented and a therefore a bit twitchy but I certainly haven't noticed. It's is very light and very well equipped for the money and I think it looks good too.
    In my opinion it's a great bike and I would recommend it.

[Edit]
    P.S.
    You probably know, but just in case - The Ultimate CF SL frame is common across the range with only the build (wheels, groupset, etc) and paint scheme changing between the different versions. So a review of any of the Ultimate CF SL is relevant to teh frame you're interested in. As for the other hardware: Ultegra 6800 groupsets and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels are both very, very popular and reviews abound. In brief, Ultegra is a superb mechanical groupset. Most agree it's essentially as good as Dura Ace 9000 except for the slight weight penalty. Excellent shifting compared to previous groupsets especially at the front and amongst the best rim brakes available. The other hardware should all be fine too with the possible exception of the saddle depending on your seat preferences.
    Ass someone mentioned earlier - disk brakes might be worth considering. I would be seriously thinking about it if I was buying this year or next.
  • I'm having the same dilemma. The canyon and the rose xlite crs 3100 di2 are the 2 I'm looking at. Every person I speak to regarding canyon road bikes has nothing but good things to say about them (only downside is there delivery promises!). I only wish I could throw a leg over one. If I had the time I'd pop down to the London bike show as they've got a stand there this weekend.
  • I got a 2014 CF SL in jan last year, I have done 7300 miles on it since then. Done everything from a 200 mile hilly ride to racing on it.

The bike has been great, I did change the wheels and now I am about the change the groupset but the Frame and original components are all still on it (bar the saddle).

The bike still gets many comments from people saying how good it looks and I think it is a comfy quick bike to ride. I would buy another.