Are all archetypes tubeless friendly?

cattytown
cattytown Posts: 647
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Basically as per the subject line - I think I read somewhere a comment that implied earlier ones were not, but I cannot remember where I saw that, and my google-fu is deserting me on this for an answer.

If earlier archetypes are not tubeless compatible, is there any easy way to tell the difference?

Thanks,
Paul.
Giant Defy 2
Large bloke getting smaller :-)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you can't buy eariler archetype rims new anymore so no problem.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks - but I am wondering about ones I have already - bought October 2013.
    Giant Defy 2
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    all the ones I've used are (friendly).

Not sure how old they are though - how do you tell?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • its all in the rim bed profile. If I recall ugo posted up a picture showing the bed profile tubelss and normal clinchers. Essentially the tubless compatble bed has a horizonal section before dropping down to with a shallow bed, non tubelss versions would have no horizontal section at the base of the rim. Picture :roll: s really would help here...
  • Thanks. I am struggling to find a picture that will tell me what I am looking for, so here's a pic of mine!
    Giant Defy 2
  • They are all the same and they are not tubeless ready... they can be ran tubeless, but they don't have the ideal rim shape
    left the forum March 2023
  • OK - Thanks Ugo - I'll wait a little before trying then.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Running 23mm tubeless Schwalbe Ones on my Archetypes. No issues so far.
  • cycleclinic
    I have set up tubeless tyres on archetype too. You need a compressor or a CO2 inflator (I used a CO2 inflator) to seat the tyre and then inflate with a floor/track pump. The tyres seat easily enough and seal quickly. so while not tubeless compatible they appear to be and given the archetype is so consistant you can bet they are all this way.
  • I did mine with Schwalbe ones
    Went on easy as pie with just a track pump.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I just used a track pump too. The front went up with zero issues. The rear took a little time for the sealant to stop leaking around the valve.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    its all in the rim bed profile. If I recall ugo posted up a picture showing the bed profile tubelss and normal clinchers. Essentially the tubless compatble bed has a horizonal section before dropping down to with a shallow bed, non tubelss versions would have no horizontal section at the base of the rim. Picture :roll: s really would help here...

105s2f7.png
  • cycleclinic
    the schwable ones fitted to the archetypes I was using needed a CO2 inflator as a track pump just did not do it. That is the difference between using a tubeless compatible rim and one that is not tubeless compatible. Sometimes you need extra help and sometimes you are lucky and don't. Hense my advise stands, compressor or inflator is needed as you might be unlucky.