Which road tyres on a hybrid?

TheBiggles
TheBiggles Posts: 33
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Got a friend looking to put some road tyres (and drop bars, but let's not go there!) on his hybrid so he can pootle along with us until he can afford a road bike. His current tyres are 28 x 1.35' and his wheels are 622 x 17. My best guess was 700 x 25mm. Sheldon confuses as much as helps sometimes!

Much appreciated.

Comments

• ps any recommendations for decent quick / medium pace tyres would be appreciated also. With the extra width I guess tyre pressure gives you a bit more flexibility too?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Vittoria Rubino Pros - or Conti GP4000S if you fancy spending a bit more.
  • Yeah, from looking at Sheldon Brown it looks like the 28" with the decimals are an odd way of describing 700C tyres. It would be safer to buy new wheels if the other ones are old.

However, I would still beware- I know if there are fractions given as the tyre widths such as 26X 1 1/4 is not the same as 26x 1.25, and the tyres and rims are not compatible- they are not even the same diameter rim (the 26 refers to the approx diameter of the tyre and rim combination, which is where the confusion starts).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    622 ERTO rims = 700c. Schwalbe Durano Pluses in 28mm - going any skinnier just makes the ride harsher for no benefit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks both. Financially, the wheels are pretty good for stock wheels and that moneys better off going towards the road bike, so 700 x 28 tyres seem to be the safest way forward.