ELV Winter Series @ Hog Hill

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited February 2015 in Amateur race
After 3 years of fairly serious riding but never racing (aside from triathlons), I've got myself a race licence and signed up to Race 5 of this series on 7 Feb (Cat 4 only race).

Couple of quick questions:

1. Can anyone tell me whether the loop used is the full 2km circuit (i.e. including the hill)? A few google hits indicate that only the lower section might be used.

2. Having read a few horror stories about Cat 4 racing, I'm tempted to use my old alloy bike (a race-oriented bike, but a fairly cheap thing) whilst I get a feel for the race environment. Sensible? I'm comfortable riding at pace in a tight group/chaingangs etc but having never actually raced, I'm not 100% sure what to expect. Don't really fancy trashing my fancy carbon machine (or is this a risk that people make too much of?)

3. Any other bits of advice would be well received!

Looking forward to getting stuck in, meeting a few friendly faces and probably getting an absolute schooling.

Is there generally any sort of social scene after these events e.g. a cup of tea and a sausage roll, or do people tend to pack up and go asap?

Cheers

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Yes there are crashes in Cat 4 (and every other level) but I'd just ride your best bike. If it's really expensive I'd get (and do have) insurance. That being said like most media (be it traditional or social) the talk of crashes is overblown...no one comes on and talks about the one crash they were in not the 50 races that passed without incident so the perception of risk is skewed some what.

Good luck with the race...enjoy!
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    1. Usually the full hill for senior races at Hog Hill (vets and kids often just use the lower circuit). But have a look at Strava for recent races and you'll see.

2. I think Hog Hill has fewer crashes than other London circuits because the bunch breaks up more and lesser riders get dropped on the hill. But it's still a fast circuit with a 40mph descent (albeit short) so it does require some skills. Ride the bike you feel least nervous riding, for your first race anyway.

3. Read through this section of the forum for lots of newbie training advice, any question you can think to ask has probably already been answered in another thread.

4. Yes it is usually social post-race because HH has a cafe and indoor area, showers, etc. Bring a bike lock for locking your bike to the railings next to the circuit, don't leave anything valuable or on display in your car, don't drive into the carpark with your bike on the roof and smash it.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    in 2 years of racing in cats 4s to E123's I havent crashed yet, been plenty around but then last weekend I came down whilst out training at quite a slow speed and I fractured my Scaphoids in both wrists.

Just shows you haha.
  • Thanks for the responses, very helpful.

Think I will leave the good bike behind tomorrow and just get a feel for what it's all about without worrying too much about shattered carbon.

Looking forward to it! Fingers crossed for a dry circuit...