MULTI-TOOL Rcommendations???

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,

On the lookout to purchase new Multi-Tool for whilst out & about mishaps, any tips / recommendations please???

All input appreciated.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would think about what you likely to need for your normal riding and check your bike. For most people the right screw driver and Allen key is more than enough, with maybe a chain breaking tool. Beyond that unless you carry loads of spare parts with you multi tools can be more difficult to use than the actual separate tools.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    you can't beat the hexus II, well under £20 and it includes tyre levers and chain tool.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Do you need a multitool? I use a limited set of allen keys and a small Lezine chain breaker, each of them is individually more functional than a swiss knife type of multitool and I have pretty much everything I might need. The space they take is not much different and so is the weight.
    I had a multitool in the past, but often the bit you need comes at an awkward angle and becomes impractical... ended up in the bin
    left the forum March 2023
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    edited January 2015
    ^^ This was the conclusion that I also came to, more flexible to just carry the 2 or 3 good quality ball ended allen keys that fit all your bikes fasteners, a small flat bladed screw driver to carry out derailleur adjustments, small chain breaker and quick links, tyre levers/repair kit, spoke key, cable ties. Can all fit into a small seatpack.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Aye, I saw someone chuck his (cheap) multi tool this week after breaking one of the hex keys, if you've got individual tools then you've still got the other end of a hex key if you bust one.
    Someone gave me a Topeak multi tool a few years ago, the chain tool broke first time it used it. Never again, stuck to individual tools ever since.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Buy a good quality multitool and use it well and you should have no problems.

topeak-mini-6-multi-tool-long.jpg
  • A good multi tool is the way to go. I needed allen keys and a screwdriver today to rescue my front mech and my crank bros tool had the job done in under 5 mins. I do always carry a separate(small) chain breaker though. This one gets good reviews

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/uc/en/park-tool-folding-allen-key-screwdriver-set-aws9/rp-prod3885

Plus this chain tool

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/uc/en/park-tool-brute-chain-tool-ct-5/rp-prod7843
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Word of caution for Campy users - I find it a bit of a b*gger that allen keys are needed for some bits on the bike whilst the Campy bits need the other head type - there's only so much one can carry! Chain breakers seem to be specific for 11 speed too, albeit I've taken the marketing blurb word for that and not sure if an 11 speed breaker works with a 10 speed chain (I am handless for such matters!).

Peter
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've yet to find the perfect multi-tool, I usually just carry one with allen key & screw driver heads and also take a separate chain splitter + 4mm normal allen key. The reason for the 4mm one is on my seatpost design I can't get to the saddle clamp bolt with a chunky multi-tool allen key, I've also seen someone not be able to adjust their front-mech limit screw with their multi tool as it was fouling the seat tube (mine was slim enough to just about work). So although I do think multi-tools have a place I would double-check the one you have works on the bolts/screws you may need to adjust on a ride.
  • This one (actually one very like it - but not it - mine's an older model) - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-ratchet- ... ulti-tool/ - got it all and if there's an attachment you need that isn't there (and one that is that you don't need) you can swap the bit... bit gets chewed, stick in a new bit...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Another vote for seperates. Multi tools are really cool looking - but inevitably a pain to use in practice. something always gets in the way. Who is that pushed for space in a toolbag anyway ?
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I carry a Park Tool IB-2 with me when out. It has everything I need on it.

http://www.parktool.com/product/i-beam- ... r-set-IB-2
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Why would you want separate bits floating around rattling? I've got a crank brothers 19 piece multitool which had bailed me out a few times.

I also use it for general home tinkering rather than separates. I've not found any tasks where I couldn't get it to fit.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edit