Fitting a new Shimano Cassette

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited January 2015 in Workshop
I started a topic under 'Road Buying Advice' on what cassette to buy here:
viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13003711&p=19293469#p19293469
In brief, it asked whether an Ultegra cassette would be compatible with an otherwise all Tiagra groupset (the consensus was 'yes'). However, I thought I should continue in 'Workshop' as I am now looking for some more technical / mechanical advice.
The upshot from the previous thread was that I bought a new Ultegra cassette (12-30 replacing a Tiagra 12-28) and fitted it (with the supplied spacer as advised in the previous thread) to the wheel earlier today. I then span the wheel and changed gear up and down and as soon as the chain got to the last (smallest) cog, it jumped off completely and got stuck between the cassette and the drop out /chain stay. Naively, I thought the two cassettes would be a straight swap but I am now wondering whether I need to adjust the the High and Low Limit Stops as well. They are not something that I have ever played about with before and I was wary of doing so in case I couldn't put the old cassette straight back if things didn't work with the new one. Am I being too cautious and should I just grab a screwdriver and go for it? Alternatively, is there anything else that I need to do.
Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for what might seem like stupid questions.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    If it's dropped off the small cog it means that the High limit screw needs turning clockwise until it doesn't. Don't worry about having a go there is little to mess up. Because you have a slightly bigger cog the B limit screw might also need tweaking to move the wheel away from the cog. Chain size shouldn't be an issue with such a small change.
    That said I am surprised you have had to adjust anything.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes you always should reset the stops.

Even replacing like for like.

Read the how to on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    ayjay,

Download a copy of the DM-GN0001-9-ENG.PDF from this page http://si.shimano.com/ It is under the heading General Operations. Page 15 deals with road RD stroke adjustment.