Garmin 510 alternatives

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at perhaps getting a Garmin 510, but first wanted to make sure that there aren't any other decent alternatives out there.

My first requirement is that it can't be USB sync to computer only, I don't have easy access to a PC at home - we're all iPhone/iPad in my house, that's one attraction of the 510 that it can sync through iPhone.

Other than that something which will let me see my heart rate and cadence on the screen - it doesn't even have to do tracking really as my iPhone does that.

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    No point in a garmin if you're going to use a phone anyway.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    NeXXus wrote:
    Apart from the potentially better GPS tracks, no worrying that your phone battery will go flat mid ride so not recording whole ride, no worrying that you won't have phone battery if you need to make a call, no worrying about weather proofing phone, no worrying that your phone will be easily broken if you have an incident, having a smaller easier to mount device on the bars.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    The only other good option to a 510 is an 810.

Apple only here. The syncing via the phone or ipad is superb.
  • NeXXus
    wongataa wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    Apart from the potentially better GPS tracks, no worrying that your phone battery will go flat mid ride so not recording whole ride, no worrying that you won't have phone battery if you need to make a call, no worrying about weather proofing phone, no worrying that your phone will be easily broken if you have an incident, having a smaller easier to mount device on the bars.
    Could you have another read of the OP. Why would you buy a garmin and still use a phone for tracking?
  • I'm carrying my phone with me no matter what anyway. At the moment the phone is collecting GPS track, heart rate data, cadence and the likes and it works fine for that. But; I don't have that data in front of me when I'm riding.
  • NeXXus
    Are you not seeing that with a garmin you would have no need for the phone at all during a ride?
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    maybe just buy a wahoo HRM, cadance iphone dongle that the strava/endomono apps could pickup?
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Exactly as NeXXus says - if you're taking along a Garmin (or other similarly equipped device) you don't need to flatten the battery of your phone while you're out. By all means take it along so you can call for help if you have a mechanical/spill/medical incident - it won't have the battery flattened by powering the GPS.

The GPS receiver in standalone GPS devices will almost always be better performing than the one in a phone.

If you're wedded to always tracking on your phone - then you just need a waterproof bar mount for it.
  • NeXXus wrote:
    Are you not seeing that with a garmin you would have no need for the phone at all during a ride?

I would still need to carry a phone with me, because I want to have my phone with me.
  • M1llh0use wrote:
    maybe just buy a wahoo HRM, cadance iphone dongle that the strava/endomono apps could pickup?

Yep, that's what I have, but my phone is in my back pocket and I can't see that information when I'm riding.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus wrote:

I would still need to carry a phone with me, because I want to have my phone with me.
    Indeed. You said in your OP that it doesnt have to "do tracking" as your phone does that, garmins do "track" hence my asking.
  • An alternative to a Garmin doesn't have to do to tracking e.g. it could just show my speed, heart rate, cadence and not do tracking, but if it does, that's good too.
  • NeXXus
    There are no alternatives to garmin :)
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    roger.

510 it is then!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • I use a Garmin 810 and carry a phone, the phone is just for emergencies etc, the garmin does the rest. Once the ride is finished just press save, the phone then does the rest.

I think the advantages of the Garmin make it a better option than a phone. I would chose a Garmin every time over a Bryton as well.

So to me the best option is a Garmin 510 / 810 or 1000.
  • I have had a 510 and 800

I moved from 510 to 800 because I wanted mapping and couldn't afford the 810 at the time. I do miss the bluetooth sync however.

I was almost happy with using my old iPhone 5 for a computer except after a couple of hours in the saddle on GPS, the battery would be low. I get to my destination now with a fullish phone battery
  • Up until now I've been using my phone for tracking and connected to an external battery. Which works well enough, except now I've upgraded to iPhone 6 the cable keeps popping out, which is annoying. So I was looking at getting a battery case for my phone, but cycling is pretty much the only time I need the extra power so if a computer could do that plus give me extra advantages then great.