First Gear Issue...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited January 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Having recently gone 1x10 I find that I can't shift onto the biggest ring at the back. I've tried playing with the 'L' screw but no matter how far I unscrew it, it still won't shift onto the biggest ring. What else can I play with? To be honest, I don't know if it was shifting into first with the old two rings up front set-up. Any ideas? Ta.
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cable tension.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    Cable tension.

Too much, or too little?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Think.

What is the shifter trying to do?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    Think.

What is the shifter trying to do?

Move further across. So, too much tension?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will be too little on a normal rise mech as more tension pulls it further?

or is the chain too short/B screw not adjusted right and the mech being pulled into the side of the sprocket rather than across it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Thanks, that gives me an idea of where to look.

As for the chain being too short... I did take out two links when I snapped the chain out on a ride the other day. But, I didn't shorten the chain when I converted to 1x10, going down to 34 from 38, so I'm guessing I could lose two links without it being an issue?

Of course, it doesn't help that I don't know if it was refusing first before I did the conversion so that doesn't help when trying to track down the cause.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    There is the chance you didn't trigger the shifter down to the last gear when fitting the cable on the deraullier, and your sfifter is always a gear down,
    so when you reach the second gear on the cogs, the shifter actualy reads first.

Try to measure the clicks upshiftng, going to the smallest cog, if you get one more click from the shifter after you are in the last cog, most probably the cable is setting is out.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    Herdwick wrote:
    There is the chance you didn't trigger the shifter down to the last gear when fitting the cable on the deraullier, and your sfifter is always a gear down,
    so when you reach the second gear on the cogs, the shifter actualy reads first.

Try to measure the clicks upshiftng, going to the smallest cog, if you get one more click from the shifter after you are in the last cog, most probably the cable is setting is out.

I didn't touch the cable, it's as it was when it was 2x10. I'll take a look at the clicks, thanks.
  • Herdwick
    I hope you get it sorted,

that extra sprocket may come handy some time uphill... :lol:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    Herdwick wrote:
    I hope you get it sorted,

that extra sprocket may come handy some time uphill... :lol:

Yes, I could definitely do with that one extra gear!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to watch what is happening when off the bike, first shift down into second (actaully get the chain onto the second sprocket) and look at the alignment (from DIRECTLY behind the mech) of the upper jockey wheel to sprocket, is it too far in or out, then try and shift into first, is it hitting the limit screw, is the jockey wheel hitting the sprocket, is it that the mech just isn't quite travelling far enough and you need some more cable tension....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Thanks, I'm going to take a look at this this afternoon.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    also check when on the 2nd largest cog for the top jockey wheel if the chain is like jumping on this and making noise then you need to alter the cable tension usually back it off a little and the chain will move up the cassette.

Is this one of those 40/42t expander sprockets as you might need to alter the b screw on your rear derailleur.

I'm glad the latest rear mechs don't have adjusment on them as well as the gear shifter as that did confuse things sometimes when you was setting the gear indexing up for the first time.
  • Angus Young
    swod1 wrote:
    Is this one of those 40/42t expander sprockets as you might need to alter the b screw on your rear derailleur.

No, it's just the regular cassette that was on there before I went 1x10.
  • Herdwick
    Hey, have you sort the damn thing out yet?

God, I get anxious when things like that hapens, going to a long awaited ''upgrade'' that in the end turns pain in the @rse project realy hit my nerves. It's 3 days to weekend mind you...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Angus Young
    :-)

Not yet, unfortunately. An edit of a recording session a few days ago is taking a lot longer than anticipated so the dreaded work is getting in the way of fun. Hopefully I'll squeeze in some time tonight.
  • Herdwick
    Better that session recording be the Cavanagh's new project :!:

Hope you make it on time for the weekend ride...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut